Argos release Cleo Lemon

oilerrocker, you're correct about Lemon being a bit of a scapegoat here. He was 11 for 15 with no INTs and no TDs; whereas Bell was 5 for 16 with FOUR interceptions. Lemon's failing (apart from the lousy receiving corps he had to work with) was yardage (11 completions for 57 yards??). .. but that's on the offensive coordinator, not on Lemon.

I'm not at all upset about Lemon's reaction. . . to be benched in favour of a guy who goes out and throws four interceptions and has a completion percentage way lower, well I'd be royally ticked off as well.

That said, I disagree about 'learning' from Kerry Joseph. Joseph was never a cerebral QB, he got by on sheer athleticism, and that is something that cannot be taught. So if you are a QB like Lemon, you couldn't learn anything from Joseph (whereas you could, say, under Ray or Calvillo), you don't have his physical skill set; Joseph was never known for being a really good reader of defences or anything like that.

You will not be surprised to see someone pick up Lemon? I will be surprised. He's over 30, I don't believe he can 'develop' at this stage in his career, he is what he is, he isn't going to get appreciably better than what he is right now, what you see is what you get, and what you get just isn't good enough in the CFL.

By the time K.J. was done in Toronto, his name wasnt worth the paper it was printed on. he was terrible there.

Lemon got cut as much for what he did on the sidelines after he was replaced by Bell, specifically giggling with glee with each of Bell's interceptions. They couldn't keep him after that. Bell doesn't go because they need someone in case Jyles can't start this week, but this automatically elevates Jyles to #1 if he's healthy. Bell looked good in preseason but has done nothing special with his playing time in regular season games last year or this year and his play vs BC was nothing short of a disaster. Bell's time with the team is limited though, will probably play out the season as the backup or starter in case Jyles gets hurt but unless he has a heck of a 2nd 1/2 of the season I doubt he's back in training camp next year. Barker as HC should follow though. He helped give the game away by keeping Bell in there for 4 picks. That's defies logic. If you don't want to reinsert Lemon after the 2nd or 3rd pick then they should've at least moved onto the 3rd string pivot in Hall and get him some game time. Horrible coaching decision.

i didnt see it as giggling with glee. i saw more of a thing... like when your get into a car wreck and all you csan do is giggle a hair.

as much as i'm glad to see Lemon gone, the argo's problems go way beyond just him.

toronto has had ZERO offence since 2005!!!!

they haven't had any main stay receivers. all no-name bums who are here today and gone tomorrow.
when KJ was the QB, he NEVER had the same receiving group one game to the next. you cannot form any kind of cemistry with your pass-catchers when they are different every game.
the same problems every year.

seems like when they traded bruce, they just never recovered

.....I believe Lemon is wearing the horns on this one....The media is making a big deal of the smirk he had on the sidelines, when he was pulled in favour of the non-performer who replaced him...I'm sorry ..IF i /you were pulled for not being successful on the field and was replaced by a guy who proceeded to throw the game away...how would you react...Maybe it was not a good idea for Lemon to show his displeasure in that way...Some might have done worse...Like Henry yelling at the fans cuz they were booing him in the last stamps/esks. game ..Henry ..Henry ...Henry :lol:
Now i'm going to throw something out there for which I'm gong to be chastised for...I think the Bombers should bring Cleo in for a look....He does have CFL experience and i don't think it would hurt to have a guy like that for depth... We also have receivers on the roster unlike the argos. :lol: Someone will probably take the chance on him...Might as well be us....I bet the hammer is mulling it over as we speak... :wink: We are not known for picking up other teams cast-offs lately but we may make an exception this time :roll:

I dont see anyone picking him up this season. everyone is pretty set in the QB ways other then toronto. The bombers make a little sense, since they did lose a pivot early on this season, but if its broken, dont fix it. i could see him hittin the gym and workin out hard to get a tryout next season. maybe he would rather stay in four down ball though. UFL maybe if they are still around.

does anyone follow Cleo on twitter or anything? i was hoping to find a response by him

Thanks Madjack I didn’t know he was that old. I think he may be a good insurance policy for a team going down the stretch.

Must be a slow sports day. this is all the buzz on many forums and newspaper websites

Lemon is NOT the future of the Argo's at QB, so why keep him? The attitude shown by isolating himself (and maybe a inopportune smirk) is a bit of a tangent but perhaps more a reaction to his anticipated overall future as an Argo rather than being pulled in one game.

I could see a clean-out of the Argo's including the GM/Head Coach on down along with a number of non-performing players.

LOL, you’ve got a point there !!

Struggling football team, dead last in their division, releases their mediocre starting QB.

Stop the presses !!!

Lemon sucks. I have no clue how the guy played in the NFL or why Barker was so insistent of playing him. Having said that Barker is nuts if he think lemonade is their issue. It starts at the top with the gm and coach (whoops, guess he can't fire himself) and the awful play calling. How on earth is one of Bart Andrus' guys still there anyways? I thought they were all canned...

Lemon has no one to pass to. They can't catch and couldn't last year either and have no play makers aside from Chad Owens. Last year they won due to superior special teams but everyone knows how to gameplan for them this year.

I'm a huge believer in Steven Jyles, but he won't be any different. Coming off an injury halfway into the season s tough, especially into a putrid offense with no playmakers.

Shouldn’t it be …start the presses…AND start squeezing the lemons…this is a juicy one :lol: …Slow day indeed :lol:

[quote="papazoola"]Now i'm going to throw something out there for which I'm gong to be chastised for...I think the Bombers should bring Cleo in for a look....He does have CFL experience and i don't think it would hurt to have a guy like that for depth... We also have receivers on the roster unlike the argos. :lol: Someone will probably take the chance on him...Might as well be us....I bet the hammer is mulling it over as we speak... :wink: We are not known for picking up other teams cast-offs lately but we may make an exception this time :

Funny, that's the first thing I thought of too. Maybe all poor Cleo needs is a change of scenery.

I'm not so sure about that. Unlike last season, Brink has looked pretty good when he's been in there this season; assuming he returns from his injury, I believe Elliot has great upside. . .so I don't see Lemon as being someone the Bombers should have any particular interest in.

Well, you certainly can't say that Barker didn't give Lemon a fair chance to prove himself.

EXCEPT that I'm not sure any CFL QB is going to be better than average with Toronto's pitiful excuse for a receiving corps. There might be slight improvements with Jyles in, but until and unless the Argonauts find a legit no. 1 receiver, not much is going to change. To put things in perspective:

Calgary - Nik Lewis
BC - Gery Simon
Edmonton - Fred Stamps
Saskatchewan - Weston Dressler
Hamilton - Dave Stala
Winnipeg - Terence Edwards
Montreal - Jamel Richardson

Toronto - ?? Jermaine Copeland? Please.

Agreed. It must have been Lemons actions. But why on earth did barker not pull Bell after the third INT.

i hope we hear some more information about exactly why this happened