Argos Pres/CEO: "Phones are ringing off the hook here"

:thup:

[b]CFL News ?@CFL_News
.@Mike_G_Copeland - "Phones are ringing off the hook here. People are really, really excited." #CFL #Argos via @TSNDrive

CFL News ?@CFL_News
.@Mike_G_Copeland - "It will be sold out. It's going to be great." #CFL #Argos via @TSNDaveNaylor and @TSNDrive

CFL News ?@CFL_News 34m34 minutes ago
Fairly priced ticket, good football team, amazing venue, experience around stadium = sell outs according to @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos[/b]

This is all just quotes from a radio interview which was already posted here yesterday.

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100500&p=1990846&hilit=Copeland#p1990846]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100500&p=1990846&hilit=Copeland#p1990846[/url]

There was never any doubt in my mind. Lots of CFL fans in TO but you got to give them a reason to pick showing up instead of watching their monster HD TV.

not to be a Debbie downer but isn't this typical speak to get sales moving, i'll believe it when I see it.

There has to be some substance behind it. You don’t predict a sell out then announce 5000 season tickets sold or you’re setting yourself up to look like a jackass.

I would say it’s the opposite, now that the pricing is out it creates a new waved of deposits as some have sat on the sidelines.

I get to select my seat on February 16 so depending on what kind of options there are will be a good indication of how they are faring.

The big guys like TSN and Sportsnet generally do fact-check what they're being told by outside parties. In this case with it being a radio interview there may be some hyperbole (I mean, who has a phone on a wall hook these days anyways) but most professionals in communications won't stretch the truth that much. Being caught in a lie makes for great headlines for the reporter who 'gets' you and leads to your stint in communications coming to an abrupt end, so it's generally avoided.

^^THIS^^

Exactly what I was thinking.

@TorontoArgos: SEASON TICKET PRIORITY:

Feb 4-11: Renewals
Feb 19: Deposit deadline
Feb 12-18: New Deposit Holders
Feb 22-26: Pre-sale
Mar 1: Public Sale

[url=https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/694277928725671936]https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status ... 8725671936[/url]

I doubt the president of the club would claim their "phone was ringing off the hooks" and predict a sold-out stadium, for a team which averaged 14,000 fans last year, if there wasn't some substance to it.

It was rumoured two months ago the Argos had over 10,000 deposits for seasons tickets. The team will likely be forced to cap season tickets at 20,000, to give Toronto's traditionally strong walk-up crowd a chance to get in on the fun. Normally over 50% of Toronto fans buy single-game tickets. There was just little incentive to buy ST with a huge stadium and all games televised locally. That's all changed with only 26,000-seats available and local ownership, who are the principals of one of the most successful sports enterprises on the planet.

Talk about on a roll, if the Argos can follow through with their resurgence at BMO and become a positive force in the league...along with the spectacular success of Ottawa's expansion...even the Tiger-Cats reported a profit, the first time in over 30 years!

This isn't your father's CFL... :wink:

Wonderful thoughts. And, if true, I agree. However, I am in agreement with Ryan on this one. I hope and pray it’s true but I will believe it when I see it and not until then. Not trying to be a pessimist but I’ve gotten my hopes up before and things have not turned out well.

Hope I’m wrong.

Yeah time will tell how many STHs sign up once they go through the deposits plus more that would be coming in now.

General public sale starts March 1 so another push should be lined up.

Overall I'd rather have Copeland giving the 'phones are ringing off the hook' message as opposed to the lamanting 'there are too many options in this market' message when Rudge was at the helm.

Just wanted to point out that the $50 deposits are nonrefundable so I don’t think that to many people are going to walk away.

anything’s possible but if sales turn out to be flat Copeland is going to be tarred and feathered for his claims.

Do they include some sort of transit discount for season ticket holders? :thup: