ARGO's Home Schedule 2010

Well here it is......

Regular Season
Wednesday, July 14 Calgary Stampeders 7:30 p.m.
Friday, July 23 B.C. Lions 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 14 Montreal Alouettes 7:30 p.m.
Friday, August 20 Hamilton Tiger-Cats 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, September 19 Winnipeg Blue Bombers 1:00 p.m.
Sunday, September 26 Edmonton Eskimos 1:00 p.m.*
Saturday, October 2 Saskatchewan Roughriders 3:00 p.m.
Friday, October 15 Hamilton Tiger-Cats 7:30 p.m.
Friday, October 29 Montreal Alouettes 7:00 p.m.

Well it's not horrible. Hope they change the August 14 game to an earlier time. Not crazy on losing the Eskimos game, since I haven't seen them play in so long. I'm not crazy on the Sept. 19 Sunday game either, just hope the Bills aren't hosting the Jets that day since I promised my buddy we'll hit that game. Other than that I am happy with this schedule.

Ah, I can't wait till summer, when I can sleep from midnight to eleven, eat one big meal for lunch/breakfast, eat dinner at 8 watch some CFL.

The only question is, what do I do from now till then?

You must be a student, those were the days. Anyways if you like sports watch NJ NETS I think they could use more fans.

Yeah, high school student. And I already root for a basketball team, that be my namesake the HOUSTON ROCKETS!

Head-to-head with the Blue Jays yet again and an overlap on the 14th vs. Montreal.
Add away games on July 8, Aug 6, Sep 6 (overlap) and you have a viewership conflict for half of the season.

The Blue Jays play virtually every single day until the end of September -- how the heck can you avoid overlap?

Aside from that, CFL games (even those not involving the Argos) have consistently drawn bigger TV audiences than Blue Jays games in recent seasons.

The MLB schedule comes out before the CFL one does. You avoid overlap by scheduling around the Jays games/start times. This has nothing to do with out-of-market games. It's about conflicts in Toronto.

And if, as is the case much of the baseball season, the Blue Jays play seven nights a week at 7 p.m., what are the Argos supposed to do? Schedule all of their home games -- or insist on their opponents scheduling their home games when the Argos visit -- in the afternoon? Or should the Argos schedule all of their games until October on Thursday night since that is the most likely night the Jays will be off? As I said above, the Argos draw bigger audiences when the two are on TV head to head. If anything it is the Blue Jays who should be concerned about when the Argos play.

You're saying that more people in the GTA are inclined to watch the Argos over the Blue Jays? Please provide a link. Perhaps you don't see the merit of exposure as opposed to conflict.

Ratings over the past several years have consistently shown CFL games outdraw Blue Jays games nationally. I have never seen or can't recall ratings for just the GTA but I am willing to bet CFL games draw at least as many viewers as Blue Jays games in the GTA. William Houston's blog -- http://www.truthandrumours.net/archives/ -- often posts ratings.

You still haven't answered my questions -- how are the Argos (and the CFL) supposed to schedule around the Blue Jays, who play almost every day from July through September and almost always at 7 p.m. (except on weekends when they often play at 1 p.m.)? Trying to schedule every Argo game when the Blue Jays are not playing would require ridiculous scheduling contortions -- a lot of Thursday nights, late start times, Sunday night games, etc. Why would the CFL or the Argos want to do this? I don't believe either is afraid of going head to head with the Jays, nor should they be. Hell, the Leafs and Raptors (owned by the same company) often go head to head on TV.

Regarding TV ratings. The Argo's beat the Jays hand downs. The CFLis the second highest TV property in Canada. Even breaking out the GTA numbers, the Argos have the highest following of all other TO sports team, with the exception of the Leafs.
Leafs
Argos
NFL
Jays
Raptors
Rock
TFC
In that order

Check the TV ratings on TSN, The Toronto Star, Globe and Mail