Argos Head Coach?

I guess cause we love hate Relationship with the argos :roll:

I'm thinking here that Pinball might be best served for himself and the team as the head coach when all is said and done. He is an icon and I think his unique personality and playing experience and how he relates to this world with his almost spiritual/divine way of speaking just doesn't lend himself to a desk president type job. His skill set, even though he might prefer not coaching, might be best coaching. Of course, he has only been in the job what, a year or so so maybe I'm jumping the gun on this this.

There's only one choice left: David Beckman!

Benevides family angle is nice but its clear BC didnt want to lose him without a fight.

A perfectly plausible theory was also mentioned that the future Lion's HC job was what convinced Benevides to stay put.

According to this article in today's Winnipeg Free Press, the Argos have narrowed their head coach search to three candidates. Each of them is currently working in the U.S. and it would seem, from Argo owner David Cynamon's comments in the article, that at least two of the candidates are coaches in the NFL:

[url=http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/argos_down_to_three_in_search_for_head_coach.html]http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... coach.html[/url]

One of those candidates has been named over on 13thman as being - Tennessee Titans' offensive assistant Bart Andrus

It wouldn't surprise me if Pinball returns. To me, he's the only logical choice. The core group of players get motivated by him for some reason.

Honestly, would you want to coach the Argos? There are now 3 people who have turned them down. It kinda smells fishy. Look how long Stubler lasted. I know that he was terrible but do you think people want to take a job thinking they will only last 10 games?

The Argos are in flux right now. Their front office is in shambles, their talent level is old, they need a head coach and probably new DC and HC. It's already the new year and all of the good coordinators are going to be taken if not already.

The Argos can't hire a guy from the NFL because they don't have experience in the coordinator positions. That's why Trestman was so successful. He could focus on motivation and let his coaches coach.

I predict the Argos to be the laughing stock of the league for the next 2 years.

I read this as Benevides will take over from Buono at some point in the next couple years. I hope Toronto gets this right. I want a compettive division. Can't have a repeat of what happened in 2007 in Southern Ontario.

I don’t see the Argos being able to compete this season (except for competeing for the #1 overall draft pick).By dragging on the search for a HC, they are not going to be able to sign any decent assistant coaches with CFL experience, nor will any CFL free agents want to come to Toronto.

What happens, happens Hf, for all teams. This isn't pro wrestling, if the Argos and TiCats are crap year after year after year, so be it. Agree it's not exactly a blueprint for selling the CFL in southern Ontario but in no way should the league tell officials to make the calls to support the Argos or TiCats for the best of the leagues sake. I know you weren't implying this but just saying. If the league ever did this and it was proved to be true, I wouldn't support the league at all, I'd rather it die on it's own in these parts rather than by people walking away because it was run like pro wrestling.

According to a sports article in yesterday's (Wednesday) Toronto Star, that besides Mike Benevides, Greg Marshall is also out of the running as Argo head coach because he has been hired by the TiCats as their new DC.

The story made the TiCat Marshall DC hiring seem a done deal even though no official word from the Cats as of yet.

Can't wait to see what reject they end up with, although there must be some great football minds available after the suspension of the Arena League. :stuck_out_tongue:

David Cynamon of the Argos said (on Fan 590 this morning) that they would have the coach in a week or so. They have 3 candidates, all with NFL ties, at least one doing media analysis now (not Flutie) and one with a team in the NFL playoffs now.

Hmmm.... in a week of so. Must be with the Cardinals because they sure are the underdogs this week.

Yes, you'd could think that, except the "or so" part allows enough leeway to include any of this week's losing teams, and maybe even next week's.

Not Flutie?? I wonder who they are referring to? What network does Matt Millen work for?? Stay tuned as this saga u-n-f-o-l-d-s…

Well, you guys post every other kind of topic on here, why should this one be excluded?

I agree with Gill, the Front office seems to be in a mess.

Although it is the role of the GM to find and sign players. The Blue team is really going to be behind the 8ball if they dont have a coach in place to help determine what players to keep and sign during free agency.

I think they have determined they’re going to sign Jesse Lumsden.

:D

And folks, welcome to the Rogers Centre with the starting rb Jesse Lumsden. First play of the game, a pitch out to Lumsden, shrugs off a would-be tackler, running 5, 10, 15 and wow, what a hit by a swarm of TiCat defenders, down he goes and can't get up, his shoulder obviously is injured big-time, he is carried off the field on a golf cart.

Hey Jesse, wouldn't wish that on ya even if you did end up in an Argo uniform have to admit. But then, if you do play for the blue team, well.....

I Jesse goes to the blue team, he’ll set a new single season rushing yardarge record and single season rushing TD record. If he resigns with the Cats he’ll probably do squat.

Murphy’s frickin’ law. Such is life as a Ticats fan… :wink: