Argos For Sale?

I've got 20 bucks....is that enough for that team?

People say why would anybody want to buy the Argos because they'd lose money?
Gee, what other team in Toronto makes money, outside of the Leafs?
IMO the Raptors wouldn't last two years on their own.
The Blue Jays lose more in a year then I'm sure the Argos would lose in 10.
And when you compare the upside, the CFL has it all over these other sports.
Its a national league with national interest.
The next TV contract if done right should be huge.
Which would help the bottom line.
And expansion is around the corner, which would increase interest exponentially.
What other sport in Toronto can claim this?
Baseball's dying. Basketball has been a complete bust.
And soccer has its 20,000 fans and 50,000 TV viewers, but won't get any bigger.
But we have people who would rather blow their brains out trying to make these American
sports popular up here instead of investing in a popular all Canadian league?
Pretty sad if you ask me.

I swear you're just copy and pasting the same post...

Gee you just think your sh-- don't stink pal.
Get off your high horse.

BTW,
You can't read either.
And I've blocked you as well.
Its been a peach pal.

:lol: You've tried to block me before, berezin. You can't block moderators. And sadly, I don't think we can block you, either... otherwise I would. Then I wouldn't have to read the same post 500 times. :wink:

Come on you two, we are all on the same page at the end of it even if the way we express ourselves is different from each other. berezin has a point in that articles do make it out that the Argos are the only team that has lost money or don't make money in Toronto and that's just selective reporting. Now yes, he like to repeat himself from time to time :wink: but then so do I and countless others and really, that's not a crime. How many times have you said you don't like Blue Rodeo Chief? :wink:

I suppose these kinds of forums wouldn’t be the same without the occasional post fight breaking out.

I heard on the grapevine about the big long arguments that Kanga-Kucha and others got into almost every day on here. That must have been a pain to go though. I wonder whatever happened to those two.

Here's a question:

Through the years i've been on here I have heard many of you talk (not so highly either) about Toronto and it's "america wanna be" attitude. What do you all think it would do to the CFL if the Argo's were sold and moved to another part of Canada? Say..Quebec or Moncton or some other place where fans truly love football and would welcome a team AND the press there would treat them the way they deserve to be treated.? Just a question, i don't mean to dis Argo fans because i know YOU love the team, but the rest of Toronto barely know they exist.

Just reading in the Sun that the Argos are reducing ticket prices next year. Smart move:

[i]It’s going to be cheaper to attend an Argonauts home game in 2010.

The Canadian Football League club announced on Thursday morning that ticket prices will drop across the board next season on a per-game basis.

The Rogers Centre seating map has been recoloured, resulting in a further price reduction of 37% a game. Depending on which package fans choose, there could be savings of as much as 46%. More details are available at argonauts.ca, the team’s web site.[/i]

If the CFL were to lose a franchise in Toronto it would deal a severe blow to the league. We need a team in Canada's largest city. The media may overlook the Argos a bit more than they deserve because the CFL is not seen on par with the NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA by some sports writers (which is a pile of @@@@ on their part) but there is a fan base in Toronto that can't and should not be denied a CFL team. Toronto's attendance in 2007 and 2008 was 30,931 and 29,189 respectively. The season opener for 2009 drew 30,055 which is a good number anytime. Despite a miserable 2009 season (2 in a row now) and only winning 1 home game this season their last game at home against Montreal drew 26,828 so the fans are still coming to the stadium. Put a winning team on the field and I think you will be surprised how many fans will come to see the Argos play, especially those big meaningful regular season games. The last really meaningful regular season home game might have been back in 2007 when they drew 40,116 fans against Winnipeg. No need to consider moving this franchise anywhere, just get the house in order and put a good product on the field.

Argos attendance doesn't look bad IMO. Their last game against Montreal had over 26,000 fans in attendance (yes there were some Als fans there). Their lowest attendance this season to date was still over 23,000. It looks worse because of the size of the Rogers Centre. Considering this season and last those are pretty decent numbers. They have a good lease apparently so I don't think the team should really be losing much, if any, money based on attendance. I'd be more concerned with Hamilton's attendance than Toronto's.

I love the idea of Braley buying the Argos. It needs the most financial security and he can provide it. Look at the tremendous job his mgmt team in Vancouver has done over the past 8 years. The Argos have had a solid fan base since '04.
Sokolowski in particular never had his heart into it. (I mean the guy is a real estate developer ie. No morals)

The sooner they sell to Braley the better, the Sokolowski and Cynamon show is gone, thanks guys but the committment just isn't there from the heart and it's best they sell I think now, at least to someone like a Braley. Obviously with the cash they have and having had Braley prove to them with his own money that the Argos were worth it mean't from the beginning they were just short term owners once the going got a bit rough.

Plus there will be one less game.
Still though, the current prices are still the best deal in town.
The Leafs have highway robbery rates, same thing for the CRaptors who are drawing peanuts and would be out of the country if MLSE was not blackmailing their Leaf season ticket holders.
As for the Jays, they are one foot out the door towards the eventual disappearance out of the country.

I hope there’s a Forbes subscription under your tree this year.

:thup: Good points and very true berezin.

I'm curious what the Rogers Centre is worth now, it was built for over a half billion I believe and Rogers bought it for $25 mill albeit have put some millions into it but still it has taboo of not being right for any sport or league, baseball, football or soccer and not right for MLB, CFL or NFL or MLS.

I wonder what it would cost if the Argos would try to partner with York University for the 30,000 seater stadium.
It cost the crooks at MLSE nothing after pulling a fast one with the tree hugging City of Toronto politicians.

Like it would matter…
LOL - some on this forum would not believe the truth if it were stamped on their foreheads… They’ll just keep repeating the same tired old garbage over and over again. Afterall - if you say a thing enough times you think it true…