Argos Fans

Hi Argos fans,

Why do Argos fans (perhaps CFL fans) hate the Jays? I don't get it but I've been reading these boards for a while. Just signed up to ask this question. Why hate the Jays?

I don't. I"m enjoying watching their games, particularly lately.

I'm not an Argos fan but rather HUGE Ti-Cats fan - AND I LOVE (especially these days) the Jays. And I always have ever since they came into existence when I was a teenager growing up in Hamilton. All the guys I go to Ti-Cats or Argos games with are the EXACT SAME guys I go to Jays games with.

I think it is just some posters on here that hate Rogers and because of that transfer that hate to the Jays.

any venom spewed against the Jays on the forums is likely more to do with the great animosity towards their owner (Rogers) who have attempted to destroy the Argos/CFL at every turn. (e.g. via negative print/broadcast media, NFL to Toronto, landlord-tenant maltreatment at RC, Grey Cup undermining etc etc)

and there are those who feel that the Jays arrival in Toronto have since eroded the local sports market share of the Argos as well.

the pomposity of calling itself “Canada’s team” also does’nt help.

one of the more recent examples of Rogers underhanded tactics...

[b]CFL News ?@CFL_News
Rudge: Many #Argos fans informed the @TorontoArgos that wait times were significantly longer - more than an hour. #CFL via @TorontoArgos

CFL News ?@CFL_News
Rudge - 6 min. delay 2 open gates, bag inspections much 2 long, gates under-staffed, not enough experienced security. via @TorontoArgos #CFL

CFL News ?@CFL_News
Chris Rudge, #Argos CEO: A letter to the fans on outrageous wait times http://www.argonauts.ca/article/a-letter-to-the-fans … via @TorontoArgos #CFL

CFL News ?@CFL_News
Have yet to hear of these types of fans' waiting times for Jays' games at Rogers Centre. Why was #Argos home opener understaffed? #CFL[/b]

I don’t hate the Jays, in fact I’m indifferent as I find baseball (and soccer) incredibly boring to watch. It is a little annoying that the Rogers Centre / Skydome was built because of the Argonauts and the Grey Cup and somehow our 10 game home schedule is relegated to the worst dates. Each of our last 3 seasons has featured the worst schedule in CFL history. Our home opener was in Week 7 this year FFS!

Now to top it off we get kicked out of the Rogers Centre for some or all of our 4 home games in October if the Jays make the playoffs:

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97599]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97599[/url]

So you’ll have to forgive me if I root against the Jays this season.

As others have pointed out, it’s less hating the Jays, more hating the owners of the Jays.

Rogers is the devil, the Great Satan, they whose name shall not be uttered (with affection)…

The Jays are essentially getting caught in the crossfire for the company they keep…

For some of us, it is just hating the BJs. The team that voted in favour of contracting the Expos and, as has been said before, claims to be Canada’s team (that is a BJ marketing ankle that would likely exist regardless who owned the team).

That they are owned by Roughers is just giving on the hate … err … cake.

I can’t speak for Argos fans of course, but if any of them are anything like me, baseball (not just the Jays) is such a snooze-fest, that the bandwagon would have to literally run right over top of me to get my attention. Don’t mind a ball game if I’m playing, but to watch? Pass. BTW: Good luck to all the Blue Jays fans across the country. If baseball’s your thing, this is a great summer (so far).

And this is exactly why I hate the Jays and anything Rogers owns. :twisted:

I think you are confusing common disinterest in any baseball with any dislike beyond any given fans of the Argos or those living in the GTA in general.

Just because someone might like the Argos or the CFL but otherwise does not care about the Blue Jays, or for any other baseball team terribly much (White Sox fan here, but I don’t follow them much and that’s not because I have some strong dislike of baseball), does not mean that person also dislikes the Blue Jays.

Beyond the Blue Jays or baseball, those who believe disinterest is the same as dislike probably really need to look in the mirror and get over themselves too.

Right on there. We get the same sort of arrogant crap down here especially from the folks from Texas (i.e. those fans of the Dallas Cowboys) or New York City especially (i.e. whenever the NFL’s Giants, Yankees, and Rangers are good, but always about the Knicks or Jets even when they stink).

The mentality of such arrogant folks is along the lines of “Just because we think it’s great here, it must be great nationally for everyone. Worship our team(s), traditions, pop culture, media, entertainers, etc.!”

And many of us not living in such places in the US tend to have a similar reaction to those attempts to engender common support where there is not much or any.

Answer = Rogers.
I have a massive hate on for the BJ.

Right on there. We get the same sort of arrogant crap down here especially from the folks from Texas (i.e. those fans of the Dallas Cowboys) or New York City especially (i.e. whenever the NFL’s Giants, Yankees, and Rangers are good, but always about the Knicks or Jets even when they stink).

The mentality of such arrogant folks is along the lines of “Just because we think it’s great here, it must be great nationally for everyone. Worship our team(s), traditions, pop culture, media, entertainers, etc.!”

A little background on team names.
In 1978 John Facenda, the voice of NFL Films at that time, during a game recap of the Dallas Cowboys called them “America’s Team”. The media picked this up and continued to call them America’s Team. The Team was not happy with the name when it first started being used.

In 1992 the Toronto Blue Jays became the first Canadian Team to win the World Series Trophy, the media, in print and over the air called them “Canada"s Team”. WestJet in their ads when talking about the Toronto Blue Jays “Canada’s Baseball Team”.
In both instances neither Team started the name calling. Over the years both the Teams and the media continued to use the monikers,

Rogers Securuty treat CFL Fans Brutal, Rogers treats the Argos as second class. I know many that will not go to Rogers because of this ! and because Rogers owns the jays a lot of CFL fans can't stand the Jays !

I don't just hate the Jays, but also TFC, the Leafs and the Raptors for the same reason....I also hat TFC for their winey fans... I hate the Raptors further because of Drake, and the ridiculous "We The North"... Toronto is the same paralel as southern Oregon...They are nowhere close to being north.

How in the world can you state that the Skydome was built for the Argonauts and the Grey Cup?
Clearly it was a compromise to accommodate both the Blue Jays and the Argonauts.
If it was built just for the Argos, it is the worst planned stadium in the history of football.

The need for a replacement to CNE Stadium hit its peak because of the 1982 Grey Cup. It was built to accommodate both teams. It wasn’t until Rogers bought Skydump that it became the Jays stadium and the Argos the unwanted tenant.

You could have saved time by listing the teams you like. :roll:
So, what IS the reason you hate all the Toronto professional sports teams (except the Rock, or did you forget about them and they are included in your hate list?)?

And “We the North” refers to north of the Canada/U.S. border, since the Raptors are the only non-U.S. team in the NBA, and Canada is north of the U.S.

Does this mean now with the move to BMO Field that we can leave the Skydome, but for perhaps Grey Cups though hopefully not again too soon, behind us?

From all I have read on here about that experience and seeing a bit that it seems that they go out of their way to try to hide on TV, good riddance.

I’m happy the Argos made that move given the apparent positive experience of at least the fans in just that first game despite the awful game itself.