Argos and city of Toronto talking BMO

Count me in to go, I don't care if it's an exhib or not, would love to rekindle my days of going to some Argo games at the old Ex.

T.O. mayor opens door for Argos to play at BMO Field

[url=http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Football/article/350819]www.thestar.com/Sports/Football/article/350819[/url]

I thought they built that stadium for soccer only and that one of the endzones would have to be torn down to accomodate the CFL.

The article says it will cost between 10-20 million to put in an extra 10 000 seats.

Will the Argos be paying for this?

Why didn’t they just build a 30 000 seat stadium right from the start?

But yes, I would enjoy a preseason game there, especially if the Cats are playing.

My guess is that they, probably MLSE, wanted to ensure that TFC got off on the right foot from the start in terms of catering to the soccer dudes there that wanted a soccer-specific or only stadium. Now that they seemed to have them as permanent fans of TFC and the MLS, they increased their season ticket base from about 14,000 to around 16,000 I think for this upcoming year, now they, MLSE and the city that actually owns the stadium I believe, can think about adding other tenants to increase revenue streams.

And who knows, maybe the Argos are sort of getting kicked out in some way or being asked to look for other accomodations, shape or form out of the RC with the Bills thing there, they want the RC to be NFL and baseball specific. Again, I have no idea but I'm sure there is more to this than meets the eye.

Ive heard the MLSE has no plans for expanding BMO Field.

Seeing as how their lease at Skydome is up for renewal, maybe the Argos are using BMO as leverage in negotiations with Rogers.

But then, if that is the case, why is David Miller involved?

Doesn't the city own BMO? So it might not be a situation where MLSE has all the says on what goes on, they run the stadium but don't own it, at least I think that's how it works?

What does adding 10 000+ seats and expanding the endzones cost???

I don't know but I'm sure it's far less than building a stadium from scratch.

Expanding the endzones is going to cost large. This artical claims $10-20M just for the 10 000 extra seats.

IIRC, you can only expand in one direction because there is a road at the other endzone. So, you have to tear down and rebuild completely that one endzone.

I don't know, it looks like a dicey proposition. It looks like you would have to add 40 yards - for 2 endzones - and it would all have to be added at one end. Adding length at both ends would mean tearing down alot of seats.

Adding 40 yards at one end would mean seats at centre-field for soccer would be on about the 30 yard line and at the other end, there'd be no seats from the 20-yard line to the back of the end zone.

See: http://www4.bmo.com/popup/0,2284,35649_21569739,00.html

Someone from MLSE was on the Fan 590 a few days ago, and he addressed that.

He said that they are basically sold out with season tickets/group sales, and they have waiting list of 5,000.

They basically said that, with that level of interest, the only question is when to do an expansion of BMO.

There are no shovels about to break ground, but it sounds like it's a pretty good bet to happen within a few years.

IMO, the argos need, atleast 40,000 seats.
they draw 31,000 now. ideally, you would like some room for growth.

if they expand BMO to 30,000 and they move there, they willl only ever have 30,000 fans for the next 20 years. or however long they choose to stay there.

what happens in 5-10 years when the CFL is alot bigger than it is now? they would be in a stadium way too small.

the CFL attendance has grown so much in the last 5 years, imagine 5- 10 years from now....30,000 seats will not be good enough. may be fine for 2-3 years MAX.

so, if they expand BMO to 30,000, i say the argos could move there and play 1-2 games ( playoffs ) at skydome, in a setup like montreal has with molson / olympic stadium and do this for 2-3 years, then they will need to accomodate a growing demand and have to move back to the dome.

The blue team only had 31,000 because of the Grey Cup. I don't think the Bills will be enough to hold that number there.

Down the road I'm sure but probably not for 3-5 seasons. Here is an article from a month ago.

Toronto FC sold out every home game in their inaugural Major League Soccer season and has a league-record 16,000 season ticket holders. After playing just one season at BMO Field, is it already time to expand the 20,000-seat stadium?

Realistically, the answer is no.

There’s been a rumour that a number of construction companies are looking to expand BMO Field by over 10,000 seats next year but that speculation was officially shut down by team officials.

“At this time, we have no plans for expansion,? said Michelle Lissel, the head of Toronto FC’s Media Relations department.

they've been averaging 30K a season for the last 3 years.

From my post at http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?name=PNp ... hlight=bmo

Argos interested in BMO move?

September 11, 2007

By Perry Lefko, Sportsnet.ca

"The owners of the Argonauts are committed to remain custodians of the team for a long period of time.

But Sportsnet.ca has learned Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon have begun initial research into possibly moving the team from the Rogers Centre to the newly-built BMO Field, if it could be retrofitted for football and expanded beyond the initial stadium size of 25,000 seats.

"We're here for the long haul," Cynamon told the media on Tuesday to diffuse rumours he and Sokolowski are looking to sell the team, which they bought after the 2003 season. "We made that clear from day one. We're in our fourth season. We have accomplished a lot with this team, but not everything. We enjoy operating and owning this team and we have absolutely no plans to depart our current situation whatsover.

"That's why I laugh at those rumours," Cynamon added. "Find me one person that we've had any discussions with and I'll admit it. It just doesn't exist. We don't even discuss it."

The Argo ownership reportedly has an option to play host to the Grey Cup in the next four years and sources suggest the target year is 2012. The Argos play host to the game this year for the first time in 15 years and it's expected to be a sellout that will reap a profit of $4 million to $5 million."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/ar ... 73611_4792

It will be quite the retrofit if they can pull it off. It would require one stand being moved at least and additional boxes, I would imagine.

Stephen Brunt wrote about the problem in a December 7 article in The Globe and Mail:

"To that end, here's a fact that some might find surprising. They won't be able to play Canadian football in the new park.

The stands at the south end, built on permanent foundations, sit right in the middle of where the end zone would be. Length-wise, the field simply won't fit."

http://tinyurl.com/2juxud

From the cited Brunt article:

"Certainly it would have been preferable to max out the possible uses for the park. "But you can only max out if you can do it under your existing budget," deputy mayor Joe Pantalone said Thursday.

And if some day, the Argos would like to move to BMO Field? They'd be more than welcome, [MLSE executive vice-president Bob] Hunter and Pantalone agree. Just come up with the money to knock down and rebuild the end stands and expand the seating capacity by five or 10 thousand. The seating alone would cost, in today's dollars, approximately $15-million. Then there would be the expense of demolishing and redesigning/rebuilding the south stand, which Pantalone estimates at "a few handfuls of millions of dollars.""

That sounds like $30 million and up for me...still far less than a new football stadium.

The BMO stadium's footprint is soccer-friendly, not CFL-friendly. Brunt mentions a new road behind the south stand and the lack of room behind the open north stand. There would have to be additional redevelopment there to shoehorn a CFL-ready configuration.

It would be nice for the governments to also get involved in deeper talks with the Cats regarding their stadium situation in the medium-to-long term, but I digress.

Oski Wee Wee,