ARGOS ADD NEW COACHES

ARGOS ADD NEW COACHES

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 04:30PM

The Toronto Argonauts added two coaches to their staff for the 2006 season, signing offensive line coach Charlie Carpenter and receivers coach Paul LaPolice.

Football Club is pleased to welcome the two newest additions to its coaching staff for the 2006 season, Offensive Line Coach Charlie Carpenter and Receivers Coach Paul LaPolice.

“We are elated to welcome back this dynamic duo," said Toronto head coach Michael 'Pinball' Clemons. "I had the pleasure of playing under Charlie Carpenter as a Toronto Argonaut and there is no doubt that he is both a disciplinarian and tactician. But given his vast knowledge, experience and understanding of the game, his most endearing qualities may very well be his passion and his loyalty. With a strong military background, Coach Carpenter brings a daily intensity to the office that is rarely rivaled in sport. Finally, he is simply one of the best coaches I have ever been around."

“It brings a smile to your face when you say the name Coach Paul LaPolice. I refer to Coach ‘LaPo’ as the young veteran because he came to the CFL six years ago and in that time has garnered a great reputation through his hard work and sheer love of the game. He has already served as an Offensive Coordinator for two years and now will enjoy working with one of the brightest young minds in all of football, Kent Austin. We have proof that he is competent, in that this American has married a Canadian girl and now makes the GTA his home. These additions fortify our Offence and give Coach Austin more than support, they provide him with experience, wisdom, and strategic insight that will help to build into a talented and motivated core of players.�

A proven winner, Carpenter holds two Grey Cup rings that he won in back-to-back seasons with two different teams - the first, with the Baltimore Stallions in 1995 and the second with the Toronto Argonauts in 1996 as the club’s offensive line coach. He coached Argo legends including two-time CFL Most Outstanding Lineman Mike Kiselak and Pierre Vercheval. He also held the position of offensive line coach with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 1992 and 1993 when they were finalists in consecutive Grey Cup games.

The former U.S. Marine is an eight-year CFL coaching veteran who has been an Offensive Coordinator with both the B.C. Lions from 1997 to 1998 and the Ottawa Rough Riders in 1995. He has held coaching positions at Division 1 AA Murray State, Cumberland Community College, and various high schools in Ohio.

LaPolice returns to Toronto where he began CFL career. He first joined the Argonauts in 2000 as the club’s quarterbacks, receivers and running backs coach before focusing solely on receivers and running backs the following season. Former Argo running back Michael Jenkins experienced his first 1000-yard rushing season and was named a CFL all-star while under the then new coach.

LaPolice moved on to Winnipeg in 2002 where he was named offensive coordinator and implemented an offence that re-wrote the Blue Bombers’ record books. Slotback Milt Stegall shattered the CFL’s single season touchdown record and led the league in seven different categories. In a perfect, one-two punch, running back Charles Roberts led the CFL in rushing, racing for more than 1,500 yards and accumulated 2,102 all-purpose yards also leading the CFL. LaPolice spent the last two seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as their receivers coach. Two Ticat receivers, D.J. Flick and Craig Yeast, finished the 2005 season with more than 1,000 yards receiving.

The Argonauts also announced today that former Argo offensive line coach Ken Miller will be switching to the other side of the ball and has been named defensive line coach for the 2006 season.

So what do you recon? Good move or bad move by the Argos?

(I'm trying to pick up where Dgod left off, but I'll never be as good as he was)

Very impressive KK...your spelling has really improved. :smiley:

I think this is his first post with good spelling and grammar! And jm02 said it couldn't be done! :wink:

hate to brust your bubble guys, but most of that isn't my writing, and I have had post before where everything was flawless. but thanks for the copoments!

so, how does this effect the Great Pinball's job?

Your having a bubble bath while you're writting notes on a pinball machine??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

.....not only that, but he thanked you for your "components", too.....

Eeewwwww!