Argo's about to release some players: bring em to Hamilton

Is today scrap day or something? There's like a bazillion threads about picking up other teams left overs, maybe we should rename the team to the Vultures?

Oh yeah and I just dropped a half eaten pork chop anyone want to come over and eat it? lol

What's on it?? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Drexl, if you're thinking of crusading against the "BRING HIM TO HAMILTON" gang, give it up.
I tried it once, and it's a losing battle.

There are so many posters on here who are utterly convinced that somebody else's rejects are the salvation of our team.

If we picked up all those rejects these posters want, we would have a team of 96 players, a coaching staff of 27, and general managers and scouts beyond number.

Just be thankful that it's only an eight team league. Can you imagine the confusion if we were looking at cuts from 30 teams?

BRING WILF TO HAMILTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of salt lol, but you were too late anyways Mikey beat you to it. lol.

I know, and I don't mind it, cause good players are released sometimes for salary reasons (is there really a salary this year or are teams going to pull the old sign a player for 10000$ then give him another title within the oranization like say a janitor for a salary of 100000$) but yesterday things seemed to be a little bit out of control around these parts.

Wilf, not to be politically correct or anything
but...rather than using the harsh term "rejects"

couldn't you say

Their "best before" dates have passed? :smiley:

I try to avoid speaking about "best before" dates, since that usually connotes something (or someone) which has outlived it's usefullness. That could be turned against me, and you're not too far away, either.

"Rejects" however, come in all shapes, sizes, ages, skills. Perhaps I can find a more generous term to use in the future.

As to "politically correct", I gave that up years ago. "Polite and respectful" are things I aspire to, but 'Politically correct' earns you no brownie points for honesty and sincerity.

THE HAMILTON TIGER CUTS

I don't know about you, Wilf
but for me 'best before' means
I am not as good as I once was
but I am still damn good!

As far as many 2007 CFL cuts go,
some are still in their best years

Several TIGER CUTS fit that description
as do some of the other team's 'rejects'

others may not be at their best but
they are still good or even better than good.

Let them stew for a while, then, hire a few
to fill our specific needs at reasonable prices.

Would Yeast also be referred to as a Tiger-Cut?

Hahahaaaaaaa!!!! A great play on words.

An Argo fan

One Man's garbage is another man's treasure and never forget it :lol:

An opinion that is popular and widespread. How else to account for all the Saturday morning Yard Sales?

Ah!.. The dream of finding a treasure in somebody else's discards! The thrill of discovering that elusive single component that will make our team unbeatable!

Sadly, IMO, it is still only a dream. The road to success is still wise recruiting and solid training.
There are no shortcuts.

Back to the point about "best before" dates....they have them on containers of sour cream. Why? What happens to SOUR cream after its best before date; does it turn GOOD?

I had a best before date. Once I took her out I never wanted to see her again.

I don't know about you, Wilf
but for me 'best before' means
I am not as good as I once was
but I am still damn good!

As far as many 2007 CFL cuts go,
some are still in their best years

Several TIGER CUTS fit that description
as do some of the other team's 'rejects'

others may not be at their best but
they are still good or even better than good.

Let them stew for a while, then, hire a few
to fill our specific needs at reasonable prices.

All good points, Ron. Rightnow, and in the near future, the league will be flooded with castoffs who are still very valuable, but for various reasons, may not fit into the scheme of things for some teams.

Some of these players are definitely worth a look and if the Cats play their cards right, they'll be obtainable for a very reasonable cost.

Many of these players are likely in the twilight of their careers, but many are out of the picture with their former teams for a variety of other reasons.

Quote....'Many of these players are likely in the twilight of their careers..'

Too true...In the twilight, but maybe still possessing skills. But, are these the players we would want in a rebuilding scenario?

I would be very surprised if Taaffe would vigourously pursue this type of player. It is more likely he will want to build on what's here and retainable, and flesh it out with NEW bodies, who can adapt to whatever scheme he intends to install.

Ron, your comment of self-congratulation, 'still damn good' recalls the plaint by Ado Annie in the musical "Oklahoma" when she exclaimed...

"I don't think I'm better than anyone else,
but I'll be damned if I ain't just as good"

I “gotta get in on this” :lol:

This “kinda reminds me of an old saying”…

“I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was”

Is this what you guys are getting at? :lol:

Carry On!