Argonauts, Bills team up to promote Football week in Toronto

I see this as a positive sign for the game of gridiron football in Toronto although I’m not really sure about the direct competition comment since there are people like me who are into both leagues for some same and slightly different reasons.

[i]"They’re in direct competition for fans but the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts and NFL’s Buffalo Bills are joining forces to promote football in southern Ontario.

The two franchises are collaborating with Football Canada to help stage Football Week in Toronto. It will encompass a series of events between Aug. 14 and Aug. 20 aimed at promoting minor football in the Greater Toronto Area.

Football Week will centre around four events at Rogers Centre. The Argos will kick the festivities off by hosting the Montreal Alouettes on Aug. 14 before concluding the week with game against their arch rivals, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, on Aug. 20.

The night before, the Bills will host the Indianapolis Colts in an exhibition game. It will be the fourth of eight contests the NFL club is scheduled to play in southern Ontario as part of the Bills Toronto Series, a five-year commitment that runs through the 2012 season." …[/i]

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=329543

I think this is great. Hockey has dominated Southern Ontario for too long. I think the Ti-cats should get involved as well. With the population of the golden horseshoe there is no reason all three teams can not be fully supported.

I enjoy both leagues. The more football the merrier.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooos!

Lets Go Buff-a-low!!

I can see how the Bills will benefit from tapping into the popularity of the CFL in Canada, but I don’t see how the Argos gain. I doubt many Canadian NFL fans will all of a sudden start to embrace the CFL.

This link between the Bills and Argos is not surprising considering the Argos president Bob Nicholson’s previous job was promoting the Bills in Toronto series…with not much success.

Having Argo players beside the more highly American media generated hype of the NFL players is good. So even if a kid is going up to Peyton Manning to get an auto, if there is an Argo player in the vicinity it shows some collaboration and respect from the NFL to the CFL which some NFL "only counts" fans would say the NFL wouldn't do. These types of fans don't realize how well respected the CFL is and the calibre among NFL players and teams who know what the CFL is all about.