Arena League Scooping Players

Yes, but the big difference is from outside regulation size fields, be it CFL or NFL, to the shoe box interior version suited to this size because of the NHL dimensions. And I haven’t even mentioned the difference or the gimmicks in reduction of players, rules etc…
Almost like comparing the true field lacrosse and the inferior box NLL version.

It doesn't matter if it is played in an office room with a beach ball, what matters is the arena league is beginning to become direct competition for the CFL and direct competition in securing players. Yes right now it's only Warner, Dinwindle, and Bishop, but next year it might be more players, and players of even better calibre. That's the scenario the CFL has to deal with now and into the future. It is of my opinion they better start looking at options so they can come to a workable solution.

This "problem" as you say has been around since the AFL.
The bottom line is salaries, now with our league being in great financial position the US players will be attracted to come over even more with the near average salary of $100,000 and equally as important a strong Canadian dollar.

Yes the league has been around since 1987, but it is starting to gain more steam. They recently had a deal with NBC and now have one with ESPN (who has a minor stake in the league). Plus the OLN is going to show games in the states.

The Arena League wasn't a problem for the CFL in the past, but obviously it is starting to become one and the CFL cannot sit blindly while the Arena League takes it's players.

Yes right now the CFL pays it's players more (and is the better league imo), but the Arena league has other things going for it, such as the play in the States and they play in a warm climate (indoors).

Anyone know what sort of salaries the AFL pays compared to the CFL. What would , say Bishop , get there?

I think in the $100,000 - $120,000 range I seem to recall but I might be wrong here. someone?

Good post.

I wouldn’t lose a lot of sleep over it Piggy. There are a lot of American “Import” players to fill the holes. Just have to go out and find them.

The Arena League isn't real football. Its a gimmick. If players want to go play in a gimmick league, let them. Outside of the superstar type player in the NFL, everybody else is basically the same skill level. They're replacable.

And about the popularity of Arena Football? Not in Canada. Remember the Phantoms? Paul Godfrey was saying they'd challenge the Argos for fans.

What'd they last? Two years? Obviously CAnadians know what real football is. Arena Football is a gimmick.

I think if you asked a lot of NFL fans about the CFL - they would consider the CFL a gimmick, and not real football either.

And that comment would be as ignorant and as foolish as yours.

its a different league. with different rules. who cares - i’d hardly call it bush or a gimmick. its just not a league that you like … so be it. its been pretty successful in some markets.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Huh. The CFL a gimmick? The game was invented in Canada. McGill University to be accurate. Canadian football has been around for what? 100 years?

We made the rules for Canadian football. Arena Football is a bastardization of real football. Which is what makes it a gimmick.

hah .. so by your definition .. the NFL is a gimmick as well?

I dont understand you people that can detest a league so profusely .. based loosely on a couple rule differences.

its football.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

No its not, its gimmick with football on the "side".

...it would seem to me that a league that can scoop players from ours and pay them par with what they earn here would be not so gimmicky, unless Vince McMahon was involved, but I don't think that is the case here....whether you as a fan see the AFL as a legitimate sport or not is not the concern, how the players see it is what the CFL should be worried about....

Wow Tom sounds like you have a big dislike for any sport played indoors. The so called “inferior” NLL you refer to is also 20 years old and very successful in the states AND Canada. MUCH MORE so then the outdoor league. No gimmicks about it or AFL. Just different versions of a sport. Don’t like it? fine. But don’t put it down because of your opinion when there are arenas full of fans that will differ with you.

Serious question for you argotom. You call Arena Football a gimmick. You dislike the NLL. When you used to post TV ratings, you we're always negative about the MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL. What's up? Do you support any sport not CFL?

Guys, to each his own. As a matter of fact I like watching the NLL, have gone to see the Rock on a few occasions. I love the athletes who remind me of the CFL, hard nose good guys playing for minimal salaries.
But as a tradionalist, I also like the field game a little more and somewhat surprisingly it is played more in the US then in Canada.
As for the AFL, watched it only when it first came out and then again was it last year when it was on NBC. I can't stomach it and it reminds me of the WWE. In fact and here it goes, don't hold this against me, I would rather watch the NFL over the AFL.
To each his own.

Everyone is correct to a degree. Football is football. The AFL is a backyard version of the game. Seriously less players on the field small surface to cover. This league is good for players in the twlight of their careers or just can not make it in a league that has larger surfaces. Yes there are players like Warner going to the league but many will not because it hurts their chances going back to the NFL or the CFL. The problem is the coaches. If you go into the NFL not so much as the CFL coaches will have in the back of their mind why did this guy not make it in what they consider real football. Many CFL players run into this coming from the CFL to the NFL. They have to prove themselves before they get a chance yet in the back of a NFL coaches mind is he was not good enoguh to be here before what has changed. Do you go with a rookie out of college or a retread from the CFL or the AFL. The same applies to the CFL coaching ranks. A guy from the AFL may not be looked at seriously. That is my take on it. What is everyones elses opinion?Nealon Greene might be a star on a smaller field but terrible on a large field. Warner and dolittle play on name is taking a chance that it does not hurt their chances of playing again in the CFL or NFL.

.... Robert Gordon ...a pretty good Bomber receiver went to the Arena league for part of the year and worked out an agreement with the Bombers to do so...BUT.... their season has changed ...being longer, i believe ...not allowing players the freedom of movement they had in the past..Gordon was unfortunate in that he broke his arm in the AFL....pretty well ending his career with the BigBlue....sooooo those are the chances ya takes..I hear the arena league is less of a hard-hitting game , allowing players, who can see the end of their careers, a little more playing time...In the case of Warner...who piggy is referring to, he was slowing down last year and i doubt whether he wanted to perform in the CFL -style of hitting anymore...We'll replace him... :wink:

hes easily replaced, dante booker. theres the answer right there. he and warner were duking it out in TC. they aid it was close but they went with warner. when booker played he was olid. arner did slow down after the first 5 games, he was also hurt all the time. personnally id rather go with booker anywase.

Wow you guys were high on Warner.