Arena Football League plans relaunch in 2024

Or merge Arena Football with NASCAR. Imagine the possibilities.

1 Like

Sad, man. First the Fat Boys break up. Now this. There’s nothing to believe in.

3 Likes

Six of the remaining eight teams will be in the playoffs now instead of five, as had been planned in a nine-team league.

They probably didn’t want to reduce the number of teams to four and hurt one team’s feelings.

Even worse is that all playoff teams have been determined, and some teams have one more game to play after other teams will have played one more regular season game than some teams already.

What a crap show as they are simply spinning plates now to finish this awful season.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/arena-football-league-changing-postseason-plans-19538068.php

Instead of five teams making the playoffs from what’s become an eight-team league, six will make the postseason and only the top-two seeds will receive byes to the semifinals, rather than the top-three clubs.

That’s the latest twist in what’s been a rocky relaunch for the AFL, which is playing its first season this year since declaring bankruptcy following the 2019 season. Amid a number of challenges and issues, the league that includes the Albany Firebirds has seen half of its teams discontinue playing their seasons.

Now look at this CV, and with all that professional experience for her including even as a player, one has to wonder why not maybe the UFL instead of this crap show?

3 Likes

The National Association for Stock Car Arena Racing.

Banked oval track built around the wall of the arena, spectators in the middle where the 50-yard field would be, everybody praying that nobody crashes in case half the crowd are wiped out.

It could be the race car version of the Wall of Death.

3 Likes

haha I love arena football, hilarious to watch.

3 Likes

Well before maybe they could merge this league with the successful teams of the Indoor Football League, or just burn it all down, the league has secured an international streaming media deal and also has a secured a TV deal with CBS, including for airing of the playoffs on CBS Sports Network.

This sounds like perhaps a remarkable turnaround at the end of this disastrous season, for which only eight of the teams made it to the finish line.

2 Likes

Looks like CBS Sports network needed some filler materials for the schedule. Probably enough money to keep the league on life support or something close to that.

2 Likes

From what I read, the league paid CBS sports $300k to have 5 playoff games aired, I doubt they’re recouping that loss in commercial revenue. It’s basically an expensive time buy

2 Likes

This sounds worse than that raw sweetheart deal ESPN had with the CFL, and ESPN did not even deliver games reliably on the planned channels or at least ESPN2.

Anyway, if they are going to spend that sort of money to promote their league on merely CBS Sports Network with perhaps some CBS Sports on streaming and website coverage, they sure better consider more heavily joining forces with the Indoor Football League or adding far more teams and markets.

2 Likes

are they still playing live ball off the netting on kicks? i love that lol

1 Like

To be fair they did start with 16 teams and whittled down to half by playoff time. I just don’t think the appetite is there for “big-time” Arena football anymore. There’s a few solid legacy markets, Phoenix, Des Moines, Jacksonville, Albany, Orlando, Sioux Falls, and a handful of respectable at best markets. Not nearly enough to justify national TV coverage or paying the players more than $500 a game. The IFL has the right idea, stream all games for free on YouTube and televised your championship on CBS sports (although I think NFL Network or ESPN 2 would be far better.)

3 Likes

Story is 3 days old but still interesting.

1 Like

Well they did manage to pull off the game. Low hanging fruit successfully picked.

And not an empty seat in the house

4 Likes

Here is what the CEO of the league had to say to James;

Pretty funny interaction if you ask me. Not a good look for either party involved.

4 Likes

First time a fan could get an Orange Julius at a football game.

4 Likes

Yeah I am with you on this one and the appetite for “Big” time arena football. Just don’t see it getting back to where it once was back in the 1990s. I think as a society we have moved past this - much of it to do with soccer maybe? Not blaming soccer but I think in a lot of places soccer has become a spring summer sport in that minor league slot. There are only so many fans out there - so the available piece of the pie for the AFL is just not there anymore.

4 Likes

File this one with those bright ideas like in that storied thread we had here during the pandemic in 2021 about converting a Home Depot into a stadium and hair-brained imagination that the likes of new “pop-up” stadium in a new city will draw investors for a full-time team and so forth.

3 Likes

Instead of referees, did they use mall cops?
Was there a coin fountain in the middle of the field?
Instead of rock, did they pipe in adult contemporary soft music?
Did Santa make an appearance?
Did they have to go through a cloud of perfume to get to the locker rooms?
So many questions…

3 Likes

Yeah really, who knew that a shopping mall could have such a new business purpose?
:roll_eyes:

Hold off, never mind, don’t all answer at once on that front, but I think I mentioned to you that the last shopping mall I went to was near you in January, and well, it was depressing. It was my first visit to a shopping mall since I think 2019, and that was simply to pick up somebody.

The visit was like going back in time to the 1990s with the only difference the young people now with cell phones, but wow they look dressed about the same!

Just burn this league down already if not also some of these shopping malls.

On a happy note today, here was a fine song with a cheesy though iconic '90s video in a shopping mall, which apparently was the Staten Island Mall in New York City.

Unlike arena football, this was a good idea at the time.
:grinning:

2 Likes

So if the report(s) you read were true that such a sum was paid to CBS Sports,
and then now we have reports of what sounds like embezzlement as the championship game was relegated to a shopping mall,
well as far as what actually happened behind the scenes,
this plot certainly thickens.

Whatever reforms have been planned or implemented since 1 June for the league of eight remaining teams after eight failed with one of them even twice,
this story reads more like an expensive circus going out of business than a sports league.

Back when they had circuses with elephants and wild animals, we know what’s left in the three rings when the circus leaves town early.

2 Likes