Arena Football League plans relaunch in 2024

Don’t forget about the 5 vs 12 1st round matchups.

Potential upsets there.

Don’t forget the selection show on CBS around 6pm EST. (Check local listings).

4 Likes

I was with you until you got to Barracudas - they had some cool uniforms in that 1990’s type of way.

3 Likes

League kicked off this past weekend and well…yeah.

Incoming ownership bailed at the last minute. Unpaid hotel bills with players kicked out, travel to Louisiana not arranged hence had to get a mostly a replacement team from a lower league in Dallas.

This on too of teams moving at the last minute (Philadelphia Soul are based out of Trenton NJ). Inconsistent playing conditions…games being pulled off the NFL Network at the last minute… just because…stellar start for 3.0

4 Likes

On the eve of week 2, one team already leaves the league.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/iowa-rampage-drop-arena-football-league-week-2-19436590.php

And their opponent this Saturday says the game is still going ahead as scheduled lol.

Can’t write this stuff up

2 Likes

This may be the shortest incarnation in history if this is true

Their website doesn’t even list a schedule…or scores…or standings. Guess those running the site are not being paid either

2 Likes

Snl That Sucks GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

That Myth are true to their name as is all that VooDoo evidently at hand, and it was a DUMB name anyway for Minnesota plus they are lame anyway, and once the Iowa departure was announced, that was the second domino as we witness now the meltdown in progress.

The money to pay for all the expenses of any given spring football league has to come from somewhere, and as already there are multiple missed payments, well folks it is not there whether or not somebody has already made off with the money.

GOODBYE to the Arena Football League again.

Now we shall see how that Indoor Football League fares and what the United Football League does to adjust for 2025.

3 Likes

I believe launching in 2024 was , indeed, a miscalculation for the most part.

Need at least 2-3 years for a league to get up and running.

2026 or 2027 would have been a better start (time for vetting and getting proper owners and investors.)

4 Likes

Okay, burn the whole damn thing down already. It is hopeless.

5 Likes

Or alternatively they are being paid but know it’s time to mail it in, for they know now that either they will be fired or the money will run out, so there’s no sense in doing much.

It’s an awkward feeling at a job, but some of us have been there before.

You make the best of the situation, with free access to the resources of a modern office, as you plan your future since you already know the shoe is going to drop.

Now the league is no longer airing on the NFL Network, so there’s another nail in the coffin:

3 Likes

I’m reading on the Arena League’s equivalent to this forum and apparently the commissioner has been a no show in all areas including owners meetings.

A used car salesman it seems. Hopefully some of the more stable franchises find a way to limp through this season and join one of other arena/indoor leagues next year. Look after their brand since the league office sure isn’t

3 Likes

Is the commissioner Saul Goodman by chance?

After a healthy re-watch of the series but stopping after it jumped the shark about the time that jerk Lalo showed up, this sounds like something Saul Goodman would do after otherwise talking up the league for a great relaunch and some happy fans.

5 Likes

They have three teams in Kansas?!

5 Likes

Why yes as a matter of fact, they do. The teams are as follows:

Topeka Totos
Manhattan Munchkins
Wicked Witches of Wichita

3 Likes

dont forget the Kansas Kanucks

3 Likes

I was hoping there was a “Kansas Dust in the Winds” but it was not to be :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

OIP

3 Likes

Aye that is indeed correct as well, but true to their mission, they perished a very long time ago in the 1970s.

2 Likes

It’s mayhem out there. I am surprised to learn that even an American Arena League 2 exists.

Here were some additional screw-ups over the weekend:

• The Billings Outlaws changed a Week 2 game against the Oregon Blackbears to one against the Washington Wolfpack due to concerns about unsafe field conditions at The Pavilion in Salem, Ore., including the alleged use of cattle fencing. Nonetheless, the Blackbears went on to host a game there, anyway, on Saturday against the Georgia Force. When asked how that was possible, Outlaws owner Steven Titus said, “Your guess is as good as mine.”

• Even a team fully committed to the league, the Rapid City Marshals, released a statement acknowledging they “expect to see some schedule shuffling in [the] coming weeks]” amid “complexities that have emerged.”

(Excuse the YouTube primitivity of 2009, but best audio I could find)

4 Likes

And now they’re down to 14… might be 13

The Philadelphia Soul of Trenton NJ never played a home game I don’t think they ever had a full roster together.

5 Likes