Are we too full of ourselves?

I don't get it man. I read in this morning's paper that the Als have 26 000 tickets sold so far for Sunday's game.

Aye.

That's about half of what we had for last year's playoff game. Among the reasons mentionned by the reporter who interviewed president Larry Smith, it is said that Montrealers don't identify with the players the way they used to when a lot of Quebeckers were on the team (Pierre Vercheval, Steve Charbonneau, Bruno Heppell, etc.) Now, he says, Girard and Lapointe don't get much playing time, while Proulx and Gauthier are still too young to be the faces of the team. Guard Paul Lambert is the only starting Quebecker.

What's the hell with that?

Since when do we need to have pure Quebec natives on a team to identify to it. It helps to have some, because it means a bit more exposure in French media, but it's no prerequisite.

Is Saku Koivu a Quebecker? Alex Kovalev? Richard Zednik? No, and they don't need to be. If you look at Habs jersey you can see in and out of Bell Center, most of them show # 11 (Koivu). What's wrong with identifying with a foreigner if he plays with heart. Nothing at all. There's nothing wrong with that.

Are you going to tell me people don't associate with CFLers? Of all professionnal athletes, THEY are the ones whose lives look the most like ours.

What are your thoughts on this. Are we, Quebeckers, too freakin' full of ourselves to be able to appreciate a team whose roster show subtle local representation, or is that reason that was given in the paper just plain bullshlt.

I think the latter.

This was a fear some of us had re: Montreal. I think the question was posed a long time ago what would happen to Montreal fans if they didn't have a first place team all the time. Some Alouettes fans lambasted us for asking such a question saying it was a stupid question because they will support a team no matter what. Will 26,000 fans (so far) is a far cry from the 50-60,000 they used to get. I'm definitely not saying Montreal has bad fans but I think we had a legitimate question about them a while back. If you only get 30,000 fans then put the game back in your smaller stadium. It looks better.

.....probably just a bad reporter third..........and don't worry about the attendance, the Riders will account for 50% of the fans, right?......that's what we have been told time and time again.......those 20-some odd thousand seats will be filled by the Roughraider fans......

Does everything have to involve the Riders?

Don't forget that the media takes the opinions of one or two people and uses that as a basis to attribute those opinions to everyone else. From an outsiders point of view, I don't think that most CFL fans give a fiddler's fart what region of the continent their players come from.....sure, it's nice that hometown boys often gain a spot on the team, but I don't think that Als fans are so one-sided as to disregard the talent on the team simply because there is not a large centre core of Quebeckers.....at least I would hope not.....

........hey, with only six team left you're gonna get 16.66% of the available air time......

.....only one player on the Stampeders is from Alberta, Brett Ralph was born in Raymond which is south of Lethbridge........

What are the folks who are running the show doing in Montreal? You have to be able to judge beforehand what the crowd will be and if it isn't going to be large ie. in excess of 30,000, then keep the game at Molson Stadium where it will be packed and you will get home field advantage. The Riders will have a much better chance in a 1/2 empty stadium without a doubt, will not have the "feel" of home field advantage.
And really, are Quebecers that caring about having a whole bunch of Quebec born and raised on the team? Come on, they aren't children there, or are they? Maybe they are just jealous that Toronto gets the final this year, not them, who knows.

.......I dunno about that, with the Big O being all-concrete the sound generated by even 30,000 pro-montreal fans will be tremendous......

True enough.

Beside Earl, there is still a major difference in revenues between 20 000 fans (Molson Percival capacity) and 30 000.

Among the other “reasons” given for the lack of interest toward the Als is the great season the Habs have underway.

I think its bullshlt too. You may love the Habs all you want and still attend the only home playoff game of your other local successful sport franchise, game that happens to be in the afternoon (so no conflict with the Canadiens schedule).

....to answer your original question though Third, I'd say we are as full of ourselves as we can be (Zen answer #129).........

Maybe, as well, the more casual fans have just "given up" on the Als in their minds thinking that they have no chance to go to the GC agains't the Argos so the season is done. That's the problem with casual fans, they come and go willy nilly. But what can you do.

True. And if we take example on the Panthers' cheerleaders, we sometimes hold a bit of others too.

I think its BS ! I think we will see the real fans in the Big O this weekend. All the crowd that goes to football because its" in", wont go there to waste an afternoon because a losing team is "out". Sad but i think its the only reason why the Als dont sell as much. If they had finish first, they would sell out.

.......sorry, U&H, not to dismiss your point, but I think we need more discussion about the panthers cheerleaders.......

To me it is pretty obvious why they have sold only 26000 so far.
They charge about double what almost every other CFL team charges for tickets and most people like me, who spent $100.00 and packed the Big O with over 51000 for the Toronto Game, won’t pay that again after what they witnessed!
Wettenhall made his millions on that game and Montreal was absolutely useless and horrible that game. Most of the players didn’t even bother to show up for that game. It was a waste of time and money going.
And combined with that, the last game of the season, losing to Hamilton in the most boring game the world has ever seen!!!
Plus the Habs are 12-3!
But it was the Toronto game at the Big O that hurt them.
They will still get close to 40000 probably.

Also there is a lot of bad publicity going around right now,with the uncertainty of the Defence and Matthews cutting players the week of there playoff game ,including Kevin Johnson.

I still think the Als will win though!

I had a post all ready, and I got logged out when I tried to submit again.... stupid phone ringing.... like I'm sposed to work when I'm here or something???

Anyhoo. Those wacky Panthers' cheerleaders, always getting into wacky adventures, then hilarity ensues.... maybe the Als should bring them up given their new pseudo-celebrity status? Might sell a few more tickets....

I guess if people had to spend over 100 buckers for the TO game, they might be a little bit wary of doing it again. Besides, if the big Owe is half full, won't the echo make it louder regardless, as was previously stated?

Als_Molson wrote:

To me it is pretty obvious why they have sold only 26000 so far. They charge about double what almost every other CFL team charges for tickets and most people like me, who spent $100.00 and packed the Big O with over 51000 for the Toronto Game, won't pay that again after what they witnessed! Wettenhall made his millions on that game and Montreal was absolutely useless and horrible that game. Most of the players didn't even bother to show up for that game. It was a waste of time and money going. [b]And combined with that, the last game of the season, losing to Hamilton in the most boring game the world has ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
I didn't know that about the costs but I think it is a bit harsh to say that it was a waste of time and money going. At any rate, hopefully the organization has learned from this.

But losing to the Cats the most boring game? Not at all, I was at the game and for one of the few times this year we won so it was an excellent game for us TiCat fans!

But I really think some of the fans in Montreal are shortchanging their own team. You will beat the green slimies from the prairies easy and I think you will pull an upset over the Argos. Man I can't wait to watch the games, please weekend, come fast!

we dont need discussion, we need more pictures !!! :wink:

I wonder if there were video cameras in that bathroom, thats what I wonder about.