Are We Just Going To Sit Back And Let the CFL Die?

What are you talking about Red and White?
I think this is a big story.
I mean when I read the headline in the Globe and Mail today by Dave Naylor that says "NFL Threatens CFL", like isn't that something to talk about?

OR Stephen Brunts article as well yesterday that basically declares the ARgonauts a dead team walking?

LIke, they keep bringing it up. NOt me. And that ticks me off.

And if you don't like the topic, why then respond?

It is a big story and important story.

The Buffalo Bills are Buffalo's problem, the NFL's problem and the CFL's problem. And that, my friends, is a problem.

Earl. Can wait for the Argos-Als game on Saturday afternoon.
They expect over 45,000 at the Big Owe. And with HNIC right after, it'll be a great day for CAnadian sports.
And probably huge ratings for both as well.

Yet what is the only story? The Buffalo Bills playing a game in Toronto in 2009? Why wouldn't that tick anybody off?

It's not a problem with the CFL.. I don't know why people continue to believe that if Hell froze over and Toronto got an NFL team that the CFL would Die!!?!!??

There are fans here in Canada that are faithful to the CFL.. it's not like they'd drop their Eskimos and Riders or Stamps Jerseys and immediately go by a Toronto NFL'ers Jersey!

you have to do a lot more than just come to town to impress them!

At a boy Sport, Toronto media is the exception not the rule in this country. Most view it as the carrot on the end of a stick, and the Toronto media is that jackass chasing it.

cfl, this would be a huge problem for the CFL, also for the Raptors and Blue Jays I think, as corporate sponsorhips would flock to the NFL team in Toronto, the NFL is the big boy of all major leagues and this would hurt the others big-time from what I've heard. Wilson and Tanenbaum would be going after corporate sponsorships big-time like you've never seen in your life to recoup the costs for the huge franchise fee they paid to get the Bills.

It does tick me off berezin but people can't hide their heads in the sand, the writers and editors will publish what they want when they want.

Earl, the NFL is not coming.. so we can all stop getting worried.

I hope not cfl. What we need to hope for is the Bills to get better so they can sell-out their corporate suites, which they haven't, and more season's tickets at bigger prices. If that doesn't happen, well, who knows.

So cheer for the Bills to win, which doesn't look promising me thinks.

I know EArl. But how long can they keep this up? I mean how many years do we have to keep taking this?

Problem is as I see it is the CFL fans has hardly any fans in the Toronto/national media. As opposed to baseball or basketball or the NFL, where never a negative word is said.

This is my last post on the topic. But then again we can't just sit back and take it from these guys over and over without letting them know there's a huge silent majority out there who doesn't like it.

Wow Berezin everything should grind to halt in Canada because a couple of looney media types have nothing to write in the Toronto sports scene. Seriously the sky really is falling. Berezin I do not know how old you are but this rumor of the NFL coming to Canada is not new. It has been around for a long time.

Hell would have to freeze over.

Anybody see that episode of Corner Gas and they got their first ATM machine. This sort of reminds me of that episode.

Thats See the LA Bills! :lol: :lol:

Berezin post this again after the grey cup it is interesting debating material but seriously you are hearing that the world is going to end and your packing your bags.

I say once and for all it is time to deal with this issue head on. The 30 plus years of festering has come to a head.
By legislation and a threat of boycott to any business(es) owned by the potential owners.
This is a threat of our culture and is a "war" of sorts and we cannot play clean or be honourable. The other side is not playing clean so why should we, the majority of Canadians who care for our culture and three down football.

If there is legislation then a boycott isn't necessary. Besides, boycotts rarely work unless you can galvanize a massive amount of support for the cause. Do you really expect people to give up their cable tv and internet connection because they're mad at Rogers?

Bad publicity is about as much as Rogers could expect from making a bad sponsorship decision. So far, AFAIK, it hasn't. Isn't Rogers a sponsor of the CFL? Perhaps we should encourage and praise it instead of threatening a boycott. After all, the whole NFL bridge hasn't even been built yet.

The best way to defeat the forces of NFL evil are to support the CFL in a massive way. That includes the CFL's sponsors.

I'm thinking the Bills will probably wind up in L.A.
There plan to reach out to Toronto seems like last ditch desperation. Can't blame them for trying and I feel very sympathetic for the fans down there, but I can't see the NFL choosing Buffalo/Toronto over L.A.

I also can't see the NFL seriously considering Toronto. They probably wouldn't want to deal with the political games and poor will generated amongst a large part of the canadian
(CFL fans, anti-americans, nationalists) population.

I also don't think that they are interested in destroying the CFL.

...i do believe Bobby Ackles is correct in that there is no immediate danger of the nfl coming to Canada any time soon....HOWEVER ...down the road it could very well be a concern....i don't see an exhibition game played ,in the centre of the universe, as that worrisome....talk of a franchise coming to T.O. is...whether the funding is there or not ,for an nfl franchise to take hold in Canada is something that the CFL cannot allow...or it will be the beginning of the end of a league we know and love today...all i'll say about this latest crap coming out of T.O. at the moment....is watch out for the high-pressure salesman (and there's a few of them residing in hogtown) trying to get their foot in the door...the league might have to SLAM the door shut to survive.... :expressionless:

The NFL played exhibition games in Toronto a few years back. The first game was sold out. The last two played to seas of empty seats in the upper deck.

I remember Paul Godfrey's excuse for the empty seats was that people in Toronto wanted their own team to cheer for. Anybody who beleives a word that yahoo says would beleive anything.

Heres a question. Whoever buys the Bills....Why would you play in a 60,000 seat (Maybe less) stadium in Toronto when you could have a higher revenue at dozens of other locations from an 80,000 seat stadium? To me, the lost revenue doesn't make sense.