Are there any NFL rules you like better than the CFL verison

I can't think of any for myself

The closest I come is 12 men on the field, but I don't think it makes a difference in game-play with the bigger field.

I imagine some people will say the rouge, but I like it. For punting and kickoffs I think that punting distance and accuracy should be valued, and putting the ball in the endzone should only give the other team field position if they are willing to concede a point. For field goals I have the same logic that to get field position you should have to concede a point, but I also prefer to see the return team have a chance to get a big return, instead of just getting the ball at the spot of the kick, or even worse 5 300 pound guys standing around a dead ball.

None I can think of either. I suppose once in a while when they throw a flag on a punt that the guy didn’t give 5 yards when it was very close to call, I might say a fair catch would be better but that doesn’t happen all that often and with fair catches you see guys taking a fair catch and then realizing no one was within 10 yards of him which is equally as bad, just trying in some cases that the ball doesn’t get down to the 1 yard line where the kicking team can stop it or the returner just didn’t realize how close the defenders were to tackling him.

I hate the 2 feet in bounds for a catch but it’s probably fair since they do get an extra down per series so it should be harder to make a clean catch.

Can anyone explain the differences between the qb tuck rule between the 2 leagues? Or is there any difference?

I have never liked the rule where a team can get possession by just making contact with the ball on fumbles that go out of bounds.

I'm not a big follower of the NFL but one rule in the CFL that I hope gets re-visited is the 5 yard infringement rule on punt returns. I'm not advocating the fair catch rule that is in the NFL but it seems that in the CFL for the price of a 5 yard penalty on a punt return taken off the ground the punter returner can get flattened. Also, it appears that many times the opposition that punted the ball has given the necessary 5 yards but is called anyway. Again, I'm not saying I like the fair catch rule better but something needs to be done about our punt return rules.

I think the NFL gets more timeouts. I would like that for CFL.

If this happened, I’d watch the CFL a lot less. CFL is more go, go, go all the time, and I don’t want that to change.

one or two more timeouts wouldnt change that

Canadian football is the ONLY form of football of which I am aware that affords possession to the team of the last player who merely touched the ball before it goes out of bounds.

I’ll all for the way it is done in American football. The last team to possess the ball retains possession. :thup:

For comparison in soccer and rugby, the last to touch the ball or take it out of bounds loses possession (with one exception a kick out of bounds from a penalty in rugby).

Earl

Can anyone explain the differences between the qb tuck rule between the 2 leagues? Or is there any difference?
I am not aware of any such difference, but there is a difference with regard to determination of an illegal forward pass on which I commented in the thread for the WSF. I like each league's rule on that though: [url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79005&start=15#p1417183]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79005&start=15#p1417183[/url]

That’s not actually true. There is an automatic 15 yard penalty if the tackler is within the 5 yd restraining zone and makes contact with the punt returner, regardless if the ball hits the ground or not. That penalty can be upgraded to 25 yds and ejection if the hit is deemed to be rough play on the punt returner.

Also note that almost without question, due to the litigation at hand let alone now the new public interest in ALL health matters in the US as has for most lives of those reading been the case in all other Western countries, the NFL is going to make some major changes to its rules in these next 10 years.

I had once put out a wish list in this thread in early 2011:

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65119#p1118471]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65119#p1118471[/url]

From the NFL many of the changes will filter down to at least the NCAA.

And of course (starting the fire), NFL overtime >>>>>>>>>> CFL scrimmage ball/NCAA/American high school overtime

I think I agree.

Things I like about the NFL:

-Punts that travel inside the 10 yard line and a player can leap and knock the ball back into the field of play prior to the ball going into the endzone. This to me is one of the most exciting plays in football
-2 feet in bounds
-actually having to have possession of the ball on fumbles/onside kicks
-How the playclock keeps running in the last 2 minutes of the game. This takes a considerable amount of skill to control the clock
-nose to nose at the line of scrimage

Things I like about the CFL:
-The rouge (this takes alot of strategy to account for it throughout the game)
-No yards (if called appropriately)
-20 second play clock (40 is way too long and slows the game down)
-12 players on the field/the field size

Things that both leagues should do away with:

Half the distance to the goal

Two timeouts per half from the one now is really the only thing I can think of.

“There is an automatic 15 yard penalty if the tackler is within the 5 yd restraining zone and makes contact with the punt returner, regardless if the ball hits the ground or not.”

Good point Xvys but I think this is only if the ref decided that the kicking team player made no effort to get out of the 5 yard restraining area. That is according to the rule book. For example suppose the punt returner is about to pick up the ball lying on the ground and an opposing player is hovering over him read to pounce. The opposing player made no attempt to back off so the ref slaps his team with a 15 yard penalty rather than the usual 5. I guess this is why you see most players scrambling to give 5 yards.

Actually in the NFL it is three timeouts per half PLUS any television timeouts PLUS an occasional effective bonus timeout for injury PLUS the two-minute warnings in each half.

The TV timeouts really screw things up in the first quarter and in the fourth quarter when games are seriously overloaded with stoppages in play and annoying commercials. Those advertisers pay record sums for that time though and make the wheels run at high profit.

Closest is that missed Field goals don't score a point, but I still like the single for punts and kickoffs so I wouldn't get rid of it.

Given the push on player safety including via the pressures of mounting evidence against the NFL in litigation and very soon the new public interest via our first national health care for all starting in 2014, expect major changes to the rules including especially for the sake of player safety including more to protect the "defenseless" player and also new rules to protect defensive players.

Predictably, already I see the draft stock of any given college safety dropping further than ever too. If a college player in the secondary can't run better than a 4.50 in the 40 and cannot backpedal to cover as corner and doesn't have superior agility for change of direction, well one's place in pro football is severely limited and even then one might be out of the NFL within three years when they can be replaced for cheaper unless a core player at SS. Some of those guys are able to make the move to free safety though. Also the shorter the player at corner, the faster he must be able to run as now the corners are getting taller too.

There is an exception to this trend for the safety position for any given large strong safety with some agility and mobility such as Kam Chancellor of the Seahawks and some other notable names like Bernard Pollard of Baltimore, Roman Harper of New Orleans, and Morgan Burnett of Green Bay. These types of guys are far less common via college any more though.

When you watch Ed Reed play again this weekend, you will be looking at the end of an era at the position as otherwise Troy Polamalu will linger. Ed Reed in all senses is still the best safety in the game at age 34 but has quite an injury history and rumour has it that he will follow Ray Lewis. Earl Lewis of the Seahawks might be the heir to Ed Reed but it's way too early still, and Mark Barron here in Tampa Bay is looking great after his rookie year.

:thup: