Are CFL teams endangering players lives ?

Last weekend Adarius Bowman was allowed back on the field minutes after sustaining head trauma, he was clearly knocked unconcious when his head severly hit the ground. TSN slow motion replay showed how Adarius Bowman's head was compressed in his helmet as he hit the turf . Bomber staffers claimed he was asymptomatic when in fact he lost conciousness obviously proof he had suffered a serious trauma to the head.

The NFL is currently in front of the House of Representatives defending themselves and yet and have done much more to protect their athletes than the CFL has.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09302/1009168-66.stm

The CFL league office and teams are borderline criminal by allowing players like Bowman to take the filed minutes after losing conciousness and not be being examined by neurologists before being cleared to return to the field.

The CFL needs a strict policy concerning the process for athletes to be cleared to return to the field after suffering head injuries.

I agree, if there is a possibility of head trauma that player should not be allowed back in the game. There is just too much risk taken with head injuries in all sports, I don't think people understand that continuing to play after head trauma or several head injuries is putting a player at risk now and later in life. I hope the CFL doesn't follow the foot steps of the NHL (ie Martin Havlat with the BlackHawks in last years playoffs), that was unbelievable!

Dr. Kushner Neurologist, Department of Neurology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33101, USA.

Mild traumatic brain injury, or concussion, is a common consequence of collisions, falls and other forms of contact in sports. Concussion may be defined as an acute trauma-induced alteration of mental function lasting fewer than 24 hours, with or without preceding loss of consciousness. The physician’s responsibilities in assessing an athlete with concussion include determining the need for emergency intervention and offering guidance about the athlete’s ability to return to play. Concussion may be complicated by cerebral edema related to the second impact syndrome, cumulative neuropsychologic deficits, intracranial bleeding or the postconcussion syndrome. The risk of complications is increased in athletes who prematurely return to play and in those with prolonged loss of consciousness or post-traumatic amnesia. An athlete with prolonged loss of consciousness or signs and symptoms that worsen or persist after a concussion should be evaluated in the emergency department. An athlete should not be allowed to resume sports participation until all symptoms of a concussion have resolved.

The article posted on the neurological findings should be given to all players, coaches and everyone involved with the CFL. I have read quite a lot of the consequences players have following many concussions and, the outlook is very grim. Lower life spans, personality changes, dementia etc can be the results of injury to the brain caused by these injuries.

Why can't people be responsible for themselves? Why do we always have to have "Big Brother" telling us what we can and can't do. If a player wants to stay out of the game for something like this he can, he has his union backing him. the only one ENDANGERING the life of the player going back in is the player himself.

…yet if that player is operating on more-or-less zombie mode, or tough-guy mode, or fear-for-my-job mode, they are hardly the best to determine what IS best for them…

umm they did tests!!???

they found him able to return!!

i'm pretty damn sure they would have kept him out if he was not fit to play!

these doctors aren't idiots.

Good question… Its kind of like saying the guy was drunk but said he was ok to drive…

"Guys don't ever want to admit they're dinged," said 11-year veteran tight end Ernie Conwell, one of three players who sat in on the discussions. "In that regard, we're our own worst enemies. Sometimes we have to be protected from ourselves."
But former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber, who now works for NBC, said money wasn't an issue for him when he decided to return to the same game twice after suffering concussions. "For me it was a sense of pride because I loved doing my job," Mr. Barber said. He added that better education and awareness are crucial to help players make the right call,
Reliance on athlete-reported, postconcussion symptoms when making return-to-play decisions may expose athletes to subsequent injury if complete recovery has not occurred.
The exclusive use of symptom reports in making a return-to-play decision is not advised. A multifaceted approach to concussion assessment that includes evaluation of a myriad of functions is warranted.
Noted Vincent: "To ask a player with a head injury if he wants to go back into a game, that's not exactly the best thing. Most players are going to make the emotional decision. They're going back onto the field."

The synptom tests done on the bench are designed to evaluate the level of immediate “danger” the person is in, nowhere are they adequate in clearing a player to return to the field, the minute a player was knocked out and in the case of Bowman the expression “knocked the f… out” clearly applies, scans and neurologist exmination as well as a mandated period of rest are required.

I can’t speak for other teams but the Bombers’ protocols include the player being examined by the athletic therapist and the attending doctor at the game.

"The responsibility is always first and foremost the health of the player, and between Al and whoever the attending doctor is at that game, I never question when they do or don't let a player back into a game," Hodgkinson said. "There is set protocol, set tests, set time frames that exist that are guidelines that these guys are well schooled in and that they follow to a T."
The medical staff also keeps a close eye on the player throughout the game to ensure he is okay.

If it was the coach or the player who was making the call then I would agree there would be cause for concern but since the medical staff is the one who has the final say I think the players are being treated properly.

How can I tell how severe the concussion is? Concussions are graded on a scale of I to III. Different sources have specific criteria for grading the concussion, but most experts agree on the following general classification:

•Grade I: A mild concussion, occurs when there is a head injury, and perhaps some confusion, but full memory of the event.

•Grade II: A moderate concussion, with confusion, and difficulty recalling the event, but no loss of consciousness.

•Grade III: A severe concussion, when there is a loss of consciousness and no memory of the event.

When can an athlete return to play following a concussion?

Although guidelines are useful, every case must be considered individually. The following guidelines are only a reference to consider–each patient who sustains a concussion must be evaluated by their physician before being cleared to return to activity!

In general, athletes will be allowed to return to play according to the following schedule:

•For Grade I Concussions:
The athlete can return if they are asymptomatic for at least 15 minutes.

•For Grade II Concussions:
The athlete can return to play after one week, if asymptomatic during that time period.

•For Grade III Concussions:
The athlete is removed from competition and transported to the emergency department. Length of time out of competition can be discussed with the physician.
All patients who sustain a concussion must not return to play until cleared by someone trained in management of these injuries

Its clear in this particular case that Adarius lost conciousness (Grade 3 concussion) yet was treated as if it was a grade 1 concussion.

The nfl had th explain to congress to why over 5% of former players syffer from serious brain injury after the career. CFL needs to be careful, or they could find themselves in front of the government.

I must agree that he probably should not have returned to play. It's well known that serious head injuries can cause long-term personality problems and shortened life span. Losing consciousness is pretty serious.

I knocked myself out once playing floor hockey when I went head first into a wall. It was a VERY disorienting feeling, yet I believed I was good to go to keep playing. Later I became very lethargic and tired and needed to sleep for a long time. It took me a good few days to recover fully. I've always wondered what deleterious effects I suffered because of that. Head injuries are nothing to get cavalier about. That's for sure.

To further your quote… Adarius Bowman told the TSN sideline reporter, he had no recollection of the hit at all… I was SHOCKED to see him back in the game… brutal!!

If the team Doctor cleared the player to return to the field , then its that Doctor,s responsibility. Comparing NFL stats to the CFL is unfair to the CFL, as NFL defenders are encouraged to lead with their head,s when tackling, which is a penalty in the CFL. Why not leave it up to the health professionals, and not create a media hyperbowl, PLEASE

What are you talking about ??? Are you talking about contact rules on the quarterback ?

While CFL long term injuries are possibly less than NFL, a head injury is a head injury. What is the difference if a guy gets knocked out in the CFL the NFL or the WBA or UFC for that matter ? Than you have players who played in both leagues. How many players come to the CFL after they've put wear and tear in the NFL?

I can't find anyting ZERO that suggests it would be ok to get back in to a game after being knocked unconciouss. The days of saying everything is ok because Doc said so are long gone. I think this is a worthwhile discussion.

Football is a violent game and every snap of the ball could be your last. The players know this going in to every game.
Football players are tough and the culture of playing hurt and dazed will never go away. That toughness has allowed them to become pro's. It may not be right, but it's reality.
Hfxtc , Where was your outrage when Emry almost killed Edwards with a cheap shot. He should have gotten 5 games for that, do you agree ?

Does not mean there is no room for improvments or change does it ?

And then you go and throw in a dig and try to hijack this thread :roll: I created this thread to discuss opinions on treatments to head injuries. If you want to discuss player discipline go start a thread and I’ll be glad to participate.

No, you started the thread by tearing in to the Bombers medical staff . The Edwards hit was a great example of some players having no respect for their fellow players. It was a ALS player , so I understand that you want to avoid the question.
Here’s an option, maybe Emry shouldn’t have taken a cheap shot on a defenceless player ! It starts with the players, if they don’t all buy in, you will get no where solving this issue.

And if what Romby Bryant told Terrence Edwards is true it would seem that Shea Emry isn’t going to buy in anytime soon:

"I had forgiven (Emry), but some stuff got back to me after (Montreal) played Calgary," Edwards said. [i][u][b]"He told Romby that if he came across the middle, he was going to knock him out like he did me. [/b][/u][/i]

“That’s what I was told. And if he did say it, I don’t have anything to say to him.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/football/2009/10/31/11589756-sun.html