Anyone at Bayfront Fireworks Last Night?

Leaving?

Yikes!!!!

Waited 45 minutes and was still stuck in traffic.

There wasn't 25,000 people there either.

Anyone else have a story?

Took two vehicles ( Have relatives up from the states and a guest from T.O)

Parked on on Hughson at Simcoe, the other at Hughson and Barton. That was about 8:30, had no trouble finidng parking.

Walked to the beach portion of the park, right next to where the fireworks were launched from. Geat evening, great sunset, great show!

Walked back to cars. Driver of the "Simcoe" car went north and then east along Burlington and had some traffic but not too bad. I turned left onto Barton from Hughson with surprisingly zero traffic.

A great night had by all. The T.O. person and Americans were impressed by the park.

I was at Valens at the time.

[quote="CaptainKirk"]Took two vehicles ( Have relatives up from the states and a guest from T.O)

Parked on on Hughson at Simcoe, the other at Hughson and Barton. That was about 8:30, had no trouble finidng parking.

Walked to the beach portion of the park, right next to where the fireworks were launched from. Geat evening, great sunset, great show!

Walked back to cars. Driver of the "Simcoe" car went north and then east along Burlington and had some traffic but not too bad. I turned left onto Barton from Hughson with surprisingly zero traffic.

8) After reading the first post, all I can say is....you're too funny !!! :wink:

As per usual we were waiting to get out, and then in traffic, for a good 40 minutes.

I really should have made a video of the traffic, come to think of it. And just posted it on YouTube with the title: "Where a city actually thought it was going to build a stadium".

You`d see that at any stadium.

Newsflash. Stadium events attract crowds and traffic.

Better yet, go down right now to the QEW or 403 about the time fans would be travelling on it to go to a highway location during a weeknight game.

You`d see a worse traffic jam right now without any stadium or football game.

Funny, when I've gone to similar events in Burlington, which is looking like the new home of the Tiger-Cats, I've never seen that kind of traffic... but let me guess, the public transportation in Burlington is what solves it, and not the 6 lane highway they've got running through their city....

Which events are you referring to

Any festival or event in spencer smith park. It's never taken me 40 minutes just to get out the bottlenecked traffic, never even mind to get to where I was going.

Burlington is really just one example and I don't want to turn this into yet another stadium thread. Suffice to say, with proper access to highways and other roads, there is no need for 40 minute bottlenecks.

You don't live in Burlington then lol. I do and can tell you outside of using Dundas, the ETR or Britania its a nightmare. It took me an hr and half to go from my home in Alton Village 45mins of that was getting down Appleby and the next was crossing the skyway. Ever tried lakeshore during rush hour or during the day where Spencers is. Burlington is a nightmare anytime before 7. I avoid going anywhere once I get home from work unless I can access it by the above routes.

Keep in mind you`d have to compare similar events such as a fireworks show, when everyone leaves at the same time, unlike a rib fest or sound of music festival when people ae coming and going all the time.

And you`d have to compare similar number of people leaving at the same time.

Ive been to NFL and NHL games in varuous cities where its taken me much longer than 40 minutes to get out, Buffalo, Atlanta, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Ottawa. This is not an NFL-NHL vs CFL comparison, but a recognition of the fact that no matter where the satdium goes, youll have tens of thousands attendning and with it comes the associated traffic and crowds. You cant eliminate it.

Im completely honest when I said both of our cars had no trouble leaving, but maybe cuz thats why I know the city, it`s roads and traffic patterns.

Also, one can`t ignore the fact that regular crowds to the Canada Day festiviites at Bayfront Park iluustrate how much of a problem traffic is, or is not.

+1 to this one. I work in Burlington and traffic is a nightmare there. Every street is two ways, and as a result there is no light timing. Instead there are light sensors, which frequently misfire because the guy ahead of you didn't pull up quite far enough and the entire left turning lane backs up, because they missed an advance. Rush hour is the worst in Burlington because of all the lights and the 403 is in perpetual gridlock. This is exactly why Burlington is building that parking facility by the GO, so it gets people OFF of the roads.

I can't really comment about the traffic at the bayfront, as I wasn't there. Last time I went, it took about 15 minutes to get out from the field on the top on Bay St. One thing I can say, a GO station right by the stadium would do quite a lot to relieve access issues, which is planned for James St, and not planned for any other site, save the Rebbecca block, which I think is the best site of all of them.

has anybody tried leaving the rogers center after a game, it has highway access and its no picnic getting out of there. when the cats claws have bus trip to the rogers center we leave a half hour after the game is over to make sure everybody is on the bus and its still a nightmare leaving. a couple years on a saturday afternoon game we had to get off the gardiner and use king st to the queensway to get back, so just because a stadium is by a highway it doesn't mean easy access to leave the area

cANT AGREE MORE, SAME WITH lEAF GAME'S! If you dont the trafiic, walk 10min and catch a bus! Or park 10min away on a side street, or better yet STAY HOME!!!! Its part of events in every place! Or better hire i helicopter so it can drop you a line and pick you up! :lol:

Bayfront, what for, Spenser Smith Park is the place to be.

Great sunsets at Bayfront. None at Spencer Smith.

[url=http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1423/611391309_ba62b30f29.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/15345244%40N00/611391309&usg=__X3DVLyevnyp2D_fF0MXynH8oY_g=&h=333&w=500&sz=74&hl=en&start=40&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=-wZ8qT9tfmHHsM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbayfront%2Bpark%2Bhamilton%2Bsunset%26start%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SKPB_en%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1]http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... s%3Disch:1[/url]

Great pics. Now how about some pics of a sunrise at Bayfront Park? Oh wait . Can't get that beacause all of the smoke stacks get n the way.

brox

And the City of Hamilton in it’s infinite wisdom (cough) is converting many of it’s efficient one-way streets into two-way to … TA-DA… slow traffic down (and make it inconvenient) for car travelers.

That will really help traffic flow around the West Harbour and downtown… NOT!