any comment MR Young

Will the BOG do anything progressive about this shameful embarrassing irresponsible and dangerous situation?

"WADA believes that the CFL's anti-doping program is outdated and, quite frankly, irresponsible," said Howman. "We can't stand idly by while a so-called professional organization openly ignores drug-taking by college athletes and, in fact, welcomes them to the professional (ranks) with contracts, money and a 'promise' to educate them away from drug-taking.

"This essentially means that all the educational anti-doping work done at college level and below in Canada is undermined as those who flout the rules ... (and) are rewarded with contracts by the CFL. We believe that clean athletes in sports across the world would be very disappointed to learn of this approach in Canada and that if the CFL respects clean athletes in its sport, they would support them by changing this attitude."

... to all the governors, including but not limited to our Caretaker.

Does anyone know how this would be handled in other pro sports leagues under similar cercums6? ie.. NFL, NHL etc

"Any comment Mr. Young?"
I, for one, would hope not, at least in this public forum. The league's commissioner took decisive action on this ten days ago:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-ends-relationship ... r-1.306075

Poll in the Winnipeg Sun: Over 80 percent of respondents feel the CFL should have upheld CIS suspensions. League is completely out of step with the feeling of the majority of Canadians (I assume Sun readers are mostly Canadians) on the issue of doping.

Don't be surprised to see the CIS change its eligibility rules for players participating in CFL camps or activities.

hmm perhaps you go call out your own BC BOG rep in public and see what type of answer you get

With comments like these from the head of the World Anti-Doping agency, its become a National embarrassment. Now we wait for the CIS to chime in for the knockout punch.

Rehabilitation not persecution everyone deserves a 2nd chance and players signed to teams who continue to test positive will be dealt with , but history shows 95% of players who test positive at the combine never test positive again because they have been rehabilitated by the CFL and their own policies

and the World Anti-Doping Agency wants them barred for life , witch the CFL finds to harsh and i agree

I wish I could.

I am no calling BY out, I am asking him to speak on behalf of the BoG.

I get page not found. Whats the decisive action??

And how would those 80 per cent feel if they went from one job to the next and their new employer upheld a suspension handed down by the previous employer? My guess is they would be pretty angry and probably consider legal action.

The fact of the matter is that these five CIS players were not under contract to a CFL club at the time they tested positive. Therefore, the CFL had no jurisdiction or right to uphold any suspension.

Maybe the CFL needs to revise its drug policy, but this is not the case that should be used against them.

Problem with your "analogy" is that the CFL respects NFL suspensions. Weird how that works hey ?
They know if they didn't the NFL could crush them but the CIS can't.

That is not always true.

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts-sign-suspended-nfl-receiver-lavon-brazill/#__federated=1]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/to ... ederated=1[/url]

[i]

AUGUST 28, 2014, 9:13 AM

The Toronto Argonauts signed suspended NFL wide receiver LaVon Brazill to its practice roster Wednesday.

Brazill was cut by the Indianapolis Colts last month after receiving a one-year ban from the NFL for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy for a second time. The 25-year-old was suspended the first four games of the 2013 season for what Brazill said was marijuana use.

[/i]

CFL respects NFL suspensions ? since when ? Ricky Williams was suspended for smoking weed for an entire season at witch he played in the CFL with the Arblows

Just look at a player like Tony Mandarich a Canadian, great Offensive Lineman who played in the NFL and after his career wrote a book about his addiction to Pain Killers and Alcohol.

In the March 2009 issue of Sports Illustrated, he tells about his use and addiction and about his new book called My Dirty Little Secrets—Steroids, Alcohol & God.[2] In that book, Mandarich ascribes his underwhelming performance with the Green Bay Packers to his painkiller addiction, which buffeted his drive and work ethic. His addiction was such that he kept syringes in his athletic supporter to have his narcotics supply close at hand. Mandarich goes on to describe his traumatic and triumphant stint in rehabilitation, and his subsequent return to the NFL. "I didn't write the book for forgiveness," Mandarich said. "I wrote the book for explanation and for, hopefully, helping somebody see the light that there is hope for addiction or alcoholism and that you can change and save your life

Um, "no comment"?

Specifically because I am only responsible for one team, not for the league, so I'm not in a position to comment for the League.

Ok, but I will acknowledge that we are far from perfect. Our biggest failing has been our lack of engagement with the NFL, CIS, WADA, and a bunch of others who might have helped us develop even better substance abuse policies and policing.

The reason I can assure you we will get better has nothing to do with the recent press stories, and everything to do with our new Commissioner who is highly ethical, very collaborative, and extremely well connected, all important reasons the BoG chose Jeffrey Orridge as our new leader.

So we will get better, but please keep in mind Mr Orridge started in his new job just 60 days ago.

Sorry the link didn't connect. The following article, while not exactly the same, does report on the same action:

CFL ends partnership with Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sports
By Staff 11/06/2015

The CFL has a drug policy, but in one of new commissioner Jeffrey Orridge’s first acts since taking office, the league no longer has a partner to administer it.
In a letter to the league’s governors, obtained by the Free Press, Orridge cites a breach of trust as the basis for ending the league’s relationship with the Canadian Centre of Ethics in Sports.
The league’s drug policy has come under fire of late and, despite Orridge, who has been on the job for all of six weeks, pledging to make "a good policy better," there has been criticism in the media from the league’s partner.
"Regrettably, I must inform you that an organization we must be able to rely on to help us implement our policy and advise its evolution has chosen to dishonour our binding agreement and breached our trust," said Orridge, in a letter informing the leagues’ governors of his decision. "The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, our partner in this mission by contract, has retained a lab as its agent to provide testing services. This lab is led by Christiane Ayotte and, in recent days, Ms. Ayotte has repeatedly and unfairly attacked the CFL in the media.
"Today, we notified CCES and Ayotte that they are in clear breach of the confidentiality provisions of our agreement, and we have, therefore, terminated that agreement."
Ayotte has been critical of the CFL’s decision not to ban players after their first positive test for performance-enhancing drugs. This spring, five Canadian university players tested positive at CFL draft combines and under the rules of the professional league’s policy were still eligible for the draft. Three of them were selected by CFL clubs.
Ayotte, director of the Insitut Armand-Frappier Research Centre, said Monday she would no longer conduct tests on CFL players.
"What is the point in testing and issuing positive results if nothing is being done?" Ayotte said. "That puts us in contradiction of our code of ethics that comes with WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency)."
The CFL’s policy was jointly crafted by the league and CFLPA and put into place five years ago. First-time offenders are not suspended but instead put into the CFL’s education program and move from random testing to mandatory testing. Once in the mandatory-test phase of the program, players are tested up to eight times, in season or out, within a two-year period.
Second-time offenders receive a three-game suspension, a third positive test results in a one-year suspension and a fourth triggers a lifetime ban.
"When our policy was introduced, a clear goal was stated: to affect positive behaviour and, should unacceptable behaviour occur, correct it immediately, forcefully and consistently," wrote Orridge. "Should a player test positive a first time, he is referred for counselling and rehabilitation, and he is subjected to mandatory testing."
"At this stage of the process, our focus is squarely on helping the player address any issues that contributed to his usage, in an effort to help him understand, accept and manage his responsibility to play clean."
The average salary in the CFL is around $80,000, and most Canadian-born players hold down a second job, living and working in the community they play in. The CFLPA, in creation of this policy, did not want first-time offenders shamed and labelled as cheats.
The union pushed for a policy that would help a player who, in their view, made a mistake. At the same time, both the league and the union wanted to punish and eventually be rid of repeat offenders. Orridge said the policy is working.
"As we enter our fifth season under the policy, no player has tested positive a second time. The stated goal, to affect good behaviour and correct unacceptable behaviour should it occur, appears to have been met," wrote the commissioner.
Ayotte said the policy has no teeth where collegiate athletes are concerned and cites six positive tests at CFL combines in the past two years.
"For me that is the core of the problem," said Ayotte. "The CFL’s behaviour has direct repercussions on our sons and daughters... training in our universities and colleges and using steroids."
Orridge and CFLPA president Scott Flory issued a joint statement on Wednesday stating their intention to look "at ways to further deter the use of physically harmful performance-enhancing drugs prior to players becoming professionals. Our goal is to provide a safe, fair and level playing field for all players in the CFL."
Orridge also informed the league’s governors his office is in conversation with other drug-testing agencies and hopes to improve the policy while adding he’s "very confident that the testing of our athletes will continue uninterrupted."

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @garylawless

Good enough for me,

The CFL’s policy was jointly crafted by the league and CFLPA and put into place five years ago. First-time offenders are not suspended but instead put into the CFL’s education program and move from random testing to mandatory testing. Once in the mandatory-test phase of the program, players are tested up to eight times, in season or out, within a two-year period.

Second-time offenders receive a three-game suspension, a third positive test results in a one-year suspension and a fourth triggers a lifetime ban.

It’s codified, it doesn’t make exception for who you are, and it gives reasons why first-time offenders are not suspended (due to their livelihood likely being eliminated). I think it should be harsher for first timers, I’d say throw in a fine, since there really there is no way of enforcing a first time suspension without the media catching wind the juice was the reason, since it is rare that a CFL player is suspended for any other off field reason.

Now the CFL just needs a draft day juice policy (where if you are drafted/go to combine you are tested and if you fail, you are immediately ineligible to play for a year) and we’re set.

respects for responding, thank you.

Here's hoping JO makes a big and timely difference.

WADA needs to stick to it's mandate and catch cheaters and contribute to the conversation in a more positive way. Slapping professional clubs on the wrist in public will do nothing to further prevention. How about clear definitions on what a performance enhancer is? Is a pregame I.V. of vitamin and saline with a kick of caffeine performance enhancing? You bet your sweet patooty! But thats okay and cough syrups not? WADAs got a long way to go before they start getting preachy to leagues they're supposed to be helping.