Antonio Brown Walks Off (NFL)

One other aspect to consider about AB is that if, in fact, and we don't know, he has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a mental illness that is not classified as organic but rather psychogenic or functional in nature where even with autopsy it is not possible to have a further refinement of the clinical diagnosis, this could be part of the early spectrum or prodromal stage of an actual organic disease such as frontotemporal disease/dementia that can be verified by autopsy with tissue analysis of the brain.

In addition, as Dr. Bruce Miller and colleagues have studied, frontotemporal dementia and criminal behaviour can be associated:

1 Like

I'm sure he's taken a few shots to the head during his years of playing which I'm sure doesn't help.

Yes, unfortunately CTE is just a clinical diagnosis that like frontotemporal dementia and most other neurodegenerative diseases, can only be confirmed by biopsy or autopsy:
" As with many neurodegenerative diseases, CTE can be diagnosed definitively only upon direct examination of brain tissue secured by biopsy or autopsy"

Although a long ways off for clinical use, this study from Western University is intriguing that one day perhaps biopsies could be performed while patients are still living with neurodegenerative diseases, this study looking at genetics:

"This is the first known study to analyze the transcriptome in brain tissue from living PD and Control patients."

2 Likes

Regardless of the sickening decorum of AB walking out on his team - I think anyone with half a mind smells

LAWSUIT COUNTRY, USA

Lawyers smell money from settling a lawsuit with NFL & Tampa Bucs. Only problem is keeping a helter-skelter, jitter-bugging client in tow. And thats a real problem, not an imaginary one!

1 Like

My money is on Brown finally seeing what is like to be on the wrong end of many criminal prosecutions. The guy had been enabled since he was 10 and showed promise as a super star

3 Likes

Yes, a criminal act is a criminal act is a criminal act regardless of what medical condition or disease one has. However, if he can be as accurately diagnosed as possible during his life, he is entitled to the most specific rehab or treatment available, as anyone should be entitled to in our system. Generic rehab and treatment not taking into account of medical conditions or diseases if that information can be discovered is more of a waste of money and resources.

This from CAMH concerning mental health issues is a quick excellent read:

" Should they enter the correctional system, there are three responsibilities:

• First, to screen for mental health problems and distress, as many people are reluctant to come forward to seek help or don’t realize there is help available.
  • Second, to offer mental health care for people that is appropriate to their needs and support them through their incarceration.
  • Third, actively plan for supporting the person during their process of release and re-integration into society. This includes addressing issues like housing, financial support, linkage with community mental health services (professional support, medication etc.) and family and social support. Bail, probation and parole services should be attuned to these needs."
2 Likes

OR in this case someone who refuses help because he wants to be the way he is. Pretty hard to give help help to someone who makes that kind of money and has had for his whole life people around him taking away his consequences for his actions. take for example the sexual assault charges and how those who hired him helped to negate any legal consequences....and that is the tip of the iceberg so to speak on why he acts the way he does....mental health issues aside the man know right form wrong he just don't care for the most part

3 Likes

Good points. Look, let's help he gets the help he needs before something more drastic happens and if that help is part of being behind bars for a while for an act he has done or does, so be it.
I just want to reiterate though the point of being accurately diagnosed. Robin Williams, the actor, committed suicide, he never received a diagnosis during life which eventually was found out to be Lewy Body Disease/Dementia. Yes, he had some addictions issues. But his wife's comment here was poignant I believe. I can relate somewhat, I've been diagnosed during life, at this point, with possible Lewy Body Disease. I've had police come to me, once I stopped in the middle of an intersection as I had what is known as freezing of gait, you legs while walking all of a sudden get frozen to the ground, you can't move for some seconds, and I was staring at the pavement pointing to something, which is what I do during this at times. The traffic was stopped. The police right there, a policewoman came over and asked if I was alright, I said yes, just in my Parkinson's funk, I'll get out of it, fortunately this tiime I could respond as at times I'm unable to respond. She left me along till my funk was gone in a about a minute. But what if she came over and I couldn't respond and she grabbed me and I responded negatively and she took this as an assault? I could be in prison. I phoned by neurologist about this and they said not a problem, we have your SPECT nuclear med scan which shows a couple parts of my brain aren't receiving adequate blood supply that control behaviour, the left part of the basal ganglia and the right prefrontal cortex. I had to fight through my family doctor to get a referral for this as where I live in Hamilton they were saying I had a mental illness of conversion disorder, no scan done at all, just an appt with a neurologist that couldn't figure out my symptoms so he fired me off to psychiatry. It can be a delicate situation, believe me:

" The lack of a clear diagnosis also made it difficult to comprehend the multitude of distressing symptoms, including paranoia, delusions, and the unpredictable fluctuations of his cognitive skills throughout the day. “He thought he was going crazy,” Susan Williams said. “A diagnosis would have helped us cope.”

https://www.alzforum.org/news/conference-coverage/new-tool-kit-helps-physicians-recognize-and-manage-lewy-body-dementias

2 Likes

Just one other thing. I hope AB gets some sort of neuropsychiatric evaluation which would include SPECT which may help ie:

1 Like

It's great to see Antonio Brown party hearty after his most recent stunt... er, I mean 'trauma'. That poor millionaire Ex-NFL crybaby isn't going to let those pesky Covid rule consequences keep him down for long.

I hope Brown's victims get some happy time too.

4 Likes

They do not need to be vaccinated in New York? I was under the impression it was required?

Or is he actually still using the fake vaccine card that got him suspended the first time???

1 Like

It's too bad all those shots missed.

1 Like

I'd be more inclined to think that he must've been dropped on his head a few times when he was a kid .

2 Likes

His parents were told that they could return him if he was 'damaged during delivery'.

1 Like

Yup . No doubt little Antonio got tossed in the air one to many times and unfortunately got lost in the sunlight on the way down .

4 Likes

Looks like he can fly though. Not too many of us can put that on our resume.

1 Like

It's the 'landing part' that always gave me problems.

2 Likes

Especially on those extra sunny days when you don't have your sunglasses and you lose them in the sunlight .

1 Like