Anti Blue Jays

Dan - true misery in these parts is being a Leafs fan - which yes sadly I have been since the mid 60’s. At least the Jays have given us some happy moments in the last 25 years with their two World Series championships and a couple of series wins in the ALDS and Wild card game win in the last couple of years.

I vaguely remember watching our black and white TV as a 7 year old as the Leafs scored the empty net goal that clinched their 1967 Cup win. Since then - nothing. I don’t even think they’ve made the finals since then - and not even an early round playoff series win for something like 13 seasons now. That is true misery.

But will Auston Matthews change that? :slight_smile:

I don’t want take this thread off topic but my point really is that if you don’t like something, you don’t really have to announce that or why. Just ignore the Jays, but let the fans(people) have fun. It’s no harm and people truly are excited.

I remember well the 67 cup win… The only complaint I have of hockey today is that there is too much of it, way too much. 84 reg. season games. C’mon…Baseball- 162 reg season games. C’mon

Yes Indians, 1 down 3 to go.
Go Tribe Go.

:thup: :thup:

Bang Those Drums, Go Cleveland Go.

Make it 2 down 2 to go!!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Much to my chagrin the Blue Jays are now (temporarily) Canada's team. Band-wagon effect. National US TV intoxicates a population. No more Buck & Tabby - all done by U.S. national networks.

Whifftista is a disgrace. Guy is a .223 hitter throughout regular season and brags about needing a 6 year 125 million dollar contract. Can't run on bad pins anymore, his throwing arm is weathered by time and he bats .223 against a mixture of hobo pictures and half-decent hurlers.

Against top flight playoff pitching Jose is basically a fawn. He's useless. Sign him at your own peril. If Shapiero signs him - he'll expose himself as a dim-witted GM/CEO....
Can't hit top level playoff pitching - sometimes can't even hit hobos.
Hits the odd big leaguer that keeps up his label as "dangerous but susceptible"

Edwin should be re-upped. Boston will go hard after him if Jays can't make the proper play. Redsox need a solid DH to replace Big Poppy - Edwin is the best - and he can still play serviceable 1B....

1 run in two games just doesn't cut it. Wouldn't surprise me if Jays win next two games in TO before bowing out. Cleveland doesn't have great pitchers in their 3 & 4 rotation spots. But Jays hitting can go miserably cold - just like first two games of ALCS.

How many times did Whifftista go down whiffing today? 5? 4? That's not big-league hitting! Heck, that's not even minor league hitting!

Actually I'd be doing the Blue Jays and their dedicated fans a disservice to jump on their bandwagon and declare myself a real Blue Jays fan and get totally over the top excited knowing my team the Tigers are out of it.

So perhaps, and Travel you seem to have all or most of the info, it's better I actually just chill on this and keep my low excitement level for the Blue Jays as it should be, my 2nd fav MLB team. Now what exactly does that mean "2nd fav MLB team" and how does one cheer for such a team and to what excitement level should I rise to for such a team? Again Travel, you seem to have the answers for just about everything so please, enlighten me with your wisdom on this. I'm all ears....

"Have faith in Travel and all will be well with the universe", eh? :wink: I know, the Jays are more important to Canadian culture because their recent TV box ratings got higher ratings than the Grey Cup. I get the, er your? logic, get it my man. I think that's you're message from the ratings, correct? And emphasis on you're. :wink: I mean TV ratings mean more or less to what's relevant in every respect to what is termed "Canadian culture". :? :? :? So say some theatrical play at a small Canadian community, or even the Shaw or Stratford, means little to Canadian culture because there are basically 0 TV ratings. I think that's what you're trying to tell all of us here but again, please enlighten me with your very rich insights. Again, I'm all ears....

One of the advantage the Jays have (when they are good and in contention or in the playoffs) over a football team - is that they play almost every day - so they literally become a part of everyday life for their fans. If you don’t actually watch their game from the night before - you run into people that night or the next day who did and who talk about it. And that goes on from August, through September and into October.

With a football team people might wath the game - or talk about it the next day - but then nothing fo 5-6 days.

I was at a dinner event with about 120 people from 6 - 11 Saturday night in Toronto - and early in the evening people were checking the Jays score. Then later the Leafs score - wondering if Auston Matthews had scored again. At one point I asked if anybody know the Argos score? And literally nobody else (all sports fans who had been talking Jays and Leafs all night) even knew the Argos had played that day oer who they were playing. That is what the Argos face in TO right now. .

I don't deny the Argos aren't in the general consciousness of Toronto sports fans. And really so what, just like so what if the Blue jays win the WS, so what if the Leafs win the SC etc. What Canada actually means to me has nothing to do really with what sports teams win and what their TV ratings are compared with other sports teams whether these are Toronto sports teams or Prince Rupert sports teams.

What IS important is how Canada treats it's own people who are not well off, new immigrants who feel lost and those who need all the help they can get to survive etc. Those that have to go to food banks to feed their family. Canadian kids who have incurable diseases and conditions and die too early or have to live a life that is horrible by normal standards.

Jays managed to rally to nip a wild-card berth and actually steal a short series. A lot of pundits picked them to finish off the tribe in 5 or 6 games. These media pundits are just drinking out of a box. Drunk on their own vapours.

Last night they looked more like short-armed penguins than soarin' bluejays. Awful is the only appropriate adjective.

Today could be the last game we'll see Bautista in a Jays uni, barring Shapiero having an off-season stroke. Some low-level team will give Jose 6 to 8 million a season for a couple or 3 years to provide armoured car service.

Jays couldn't manufacture more than 2 runs vs. 5 or 6 bullpen hobos (other than Andrew Miller who just scares the crap outta the jays). Too many guys like Whifftista, Tulo, Martin, Upton, Smoak, etc. batting zero or around .100. UNACCEPTABLE

Stroman was serviceable but near 7 ERAs don't cut it in post-season.

Anyways, neither the tribe nor the whiffjays have a chance vs. LA or Chicago, particularly Chicago.

fwiw - Jays might actually have a chance this afternoon (game 4), even against Kluber who enjoys whiffing Js like northern hunters enjoy hammering helpless seals. I don't think Francona will keep Kluber in the saddle more than 5 or 6 innings - and their bullpen is tired from last nite. Jays only hope is eking out 3 runs and hoping against hope Sanchez & Osuna can combine for less than 3 runs against. AND THATS A LOTTA HOPE. . . . :cowboy:

I did not get a chance to do the official update.
Up 3 down 0, the brooms are out this afternoon
Go Tribe Go.

:thup: :thup: There will be a monster "THUD" in Toronto when all the lemmings fall off the bandwagon when Cleveland sweeps the Jays today!!

Listening to Jerry Howarth & Joey Siddall coming into the city this afternoon. Jerry sounds like a man having his last meal - while the firing squad tunes up their weapons!

Kinda sad - the lemmings all getting crushed in a massive falling off the cliff of hope! :cowboy:

It's official 4 for the good guys and 1 for the bad ones.
The Crappers were never in it and good luck Indians in the WS.
Thankfully it is over as the media coverage here in the city for those of us who hate the team/ownership was unbelievably over the top.
Leading off all of the news channels, it was unbearable to watch.
The wannabe factor here is ridiculous.

Karma Rogers, Karma. How many broken legs tonight with so called baseball fans jumping off the bandwagon? The in thing dies another painful death tow years in a row. hahahaha. When was the last time you team won anything Rogers?

T'was a good run while it lasted.

Time to lock the thread up!

https://youtu.be/FJbmB9k2Y88 :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Sorry, I just had to.

Thank cripes that fraud Joey Bautista took his last bats (aka whiffs) as a Jay.

Guy was virtually useless this year - and when he called out the Indians newbie before today's game and said the jays would lay a lickin' on him - it came home to roost!

Whifftista was destroyed by a kid. Kinda expected that to be honest!

Didn't expect the entire team to lay down and die today - good fetal positions though!

Whifftista, Martin & Pillar were useless as hind T.... :cowboy:

Even Donaldson threw up a whifferooni today!

That said, the same meida who coddled the Jays all year and were extremely protective of some very inferior talent - they'll take a short breath and be calling for heads real soon. Debates about players will abound, that's a given! However, they'll also be head-takers going after Shapiero, Gibby & Atkins. Trainer, Osuna, Donaldson and Sanchez might be safe for a year or so.
.125 team batting average in ALCS is simply unacceptable!

No and No.
If there is interest keep this baby going as I am ready to continue craping on the team/ownership and the minions here is the city drinking the kool aid being served by the media that is equally complicit in their over the top coverage.
Any one else out there willing to chime in?