Another one bites the dust.

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/canadian-varga-retires-from-nfl-at-age-22-1.533368]http://www.tsn.ca/canadian-varga-retire ... 2-1.533368[/url]

He would have been on the Stamps roster by September.

That guy needs a dermatologist.

Clear up that Acne son.

only 22 years old and his career is over before it started.

mark my words, this is just the tip of the iceberg as many present and future concussed players will, and are, following suit.

Im sure he is more worried about CTE than about a little acne.

At least he is smart enough to retire now at 22 rather than risk going through another 8 to 10 years of more blows to the head.

as for concussions, the NFL was caught again in their own tangledweb. :smiley:

NFL-funded safety program not reducing concussions despite claims by NFL
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

[b]- Heads Up Football, an NFL-funded youth football safety program that teaches proper tackling techniques, is not reducing concussions despite its claims to the contrary, The New York Times has found.

USA Football, which has been given millions of dollars to help sell Heads Up to youth football programs, granted the Datalys Center for Sports Injury Research and Prevention $70,000 in 2015 to study the results of the initiative, according to The Times. Datalys then told USA Football that the program was reducing injuries by 76% and concussions by about 30%.

The league and USA Football then used this study as a selling point for Heads Up.

“USA Football erred in not conducting a more thorough review with Datalys to ensure that our data was up to date,? USA Football executive director Scott Hallenbeck told The Times in an email. “We regret that error.?

“We’re the ones that put out the numbers. We’re the ones that kind of blew it,? Datalys president Thomas Dampier added.

Representatives from the NFL and USA Football told the paper that they were unaware Datalys’s study did not support Heads Up Football’s claims.[/b]

That is why I question the long term future of football.

More and more parents in North AM are not enrolling kids in football, because of this.

Not sure how things work now , but when I was in High School 79-81, kids wanting to play football needed a parents permission slip .

I think the article said he was fully cleared. I wonder if he had suffered previous concussions in minor or high school football which generally doesn't get reported.
The guy went to Yale. He is either smart enough to be set up with a Yale degree which will open doors, and/or he is already wealthy to be able to afford to go to Yale.

I think the early retirement issue will effect the CFL far more than the NFL, as there are no multi-million dollar contracts hanging out there to take the risk.

NFL backed Heads Up program uses wrong numbers in safety claims
ESPN NEWS SERVICE

[b]- An NFL-backed youth football safety program does not reduce injuries the way organizers claimed in online materials and even Congressional testimony, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

The Heads Up Football program offers in-person and online classes teaching proper tackling techniques and safety procedures for games and practice. Promotional materials claim that an independent study has shown that the program reduced injuries by 76 percent and concussions by 30 percent.

However, The New York Times found that the study by Datalys Center for Sports Injury Research and Prevention, which was published in July 2015, found "no demonstrable effect on concussions during the study, and significantly less effect on injuries over all."

Heads Up has received millions of dollars from the NFL and is overseen by USA Football, youth football's governing body. Sharp decreases in youth football participation, mostly due to parents' safety concerns, have spurred the organization to explore ways to make the sport safer.

Representatives of the NFL and USA Football told the newspaper that they were unaware that the final study did not support Heads Up Football's claims. They said that they had used preliminary information from the study and would update their information.[/b]

Yes, sorry.

Did not intend to make light of this.

He should be worried.

It is not just the end of a career at stake.
Head injuries can lead to other serious matters.

Alzheimers, dementia and the worst of all , ALS.

Just look at Angelo Mosca and the late Tony Proudfoot as examples.

Not saying there situations were the result of head injuries. Just saying it is possible.

Medical studies have shown it.

Whoever has read Concussion would know one suggestion that was made was to have the o lineman start in a crouch, instead of having their heads down, helmets primed to crash into each other.

Is that what they are referring to with the name, Heads Up?

It might take returning to the headgear. Readers would also know that helmets only protect the skull, not the brain, which still bounces around after impact. The helmet they have right now is a weapon.

Too many "vitamins"?

If you ain't cheating.. you aint tryin

In following this issue for years on this forum and citing that even the NFL did not eliminate wedge blocking on kickoffs until 2009 (unbelievably a derivative of the flying wedge as was eliminated from all of gridiron football over 100 years ago!), I see no improvement for football for the next generation but for further decisive measures. There is an old thread somewhere with so much data on the matter too.

Note that the fact stated above was also a key piece of the evidence against the NFL in the massive class action lawsuit against the NFL by former players that was settled a few years ago.

Improved, Safer Tackling
As in the days before face masks unless you wanted a bloody face, go back to rugby-style tackling with an attempt to wrap required. That’s proper, effective, and considerably more safe tackling form anyway, and some NFL teams have even brought in rugby coaches to help with improved tackling techniques mind you.

Now you all go practice right now and have some fast-talking, pesky coach wearing his trousers high bark at you for that vintage effect. Take off your face masks too why don’t you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Eliminate Almost All Head and Neck Shots
Continue as they have so as to eliminate ultimately all head shots, as in anything above the shoulders, but for of course inevitably for the ball carrier otherwise not standing upright such as when diving forward. And of course a ball carrier leading with the helmet deliberately into a defender is already a penalty.

Penalty:
Offence: 15 yards from line of scrimmage
Defence: 15 yards from line of scrimmage and automatic first down

Special Teams Ban On Lunging With Helmet On Blocks:
Unless perhaps a ball carrier is diving forward when going down and contact is inadvertent on an attempt to tackle him, there should be zero hits above the shoulders on any special teams plays; furthermore, on any special teams play, any blocking by lunging forward with the helmet to make contact instead of with the shoulder also should be outlawed.

Penalty:
Kicking Team: Return team elects either 15 yards from kicking team’s line of scrimmage and down over or accepts return with additional 15 yards added. No half distance to goal - ball at the one.

Return Team: 15 yards from the spot of the foul

Rough Play Escalator - 25 Yards:
In addition for either of the above if the hit or block is deemed grievous and rough play as in spearing and/or the block is above the shoulders, 25 yards instead of the 15 yards as noted above and possible disqualification of the player.

rshmglsky

Whoever has read Concussion would know one suggestion that was made was to have the o lineman start in a crouch, instead of having their heads down, helmets primed to crash into each other.
Not only is that a fine suggestion for the offence, the same should be required of the defence so as to eliminate leading with the helmet and spearing via a bull rush from a four-point stance and so forth.

But I do not think such play on the line itself, in a relatively confined area, is something you can enforce effectively in short-yardage situations. What to do? :?

Tyler Varga: Fans should get used to players retiring earlier
NBC SPORTS

[b]“People shouldn’t be surprised when they hear about players retiring young,? Varga told Bob Kravitz of WTHR. “You’re seeing it more and more often these days.
“Players are far more educated now about the risks involved in playing football. Guys are more aware of the risks involved.?

“In the end, you just have to weigh the risk versus reward, do a cost/benefit analysis, and I ultimately decided it wasn’t worth the risk,? Varga said. “I didn’t want to risk another big one [concussion] and having it impact my quality of life down the road. It was a difficult decision; it always is when you work so hard toward a goal and finally reach that goal, but after a long period of reflection, I felt like this was the best decision for my future.?

Varga laughed and said “I think I’ll take a pass on that one,? when asked if he trusted the league and its teams on the long-term effects of concussions.[/b]

Now that's good. I like!!!!!!!!!

This seems like a lifetime ago.

[url=https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxdMFe-HKe5o&ved=0ahUKEwj0_KOh4JfOAhUM7YMKHQYLD70QtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNHrrC0Vk4Cp6VMnGrDiZ2m_tO4iew]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... Z2m_tO4iew[/url]

That was such an annoying segment in those days. #1 by Ray Lewis with the head shot is the sort of hit that should have been outlawed long ago and exactly the problem.

Go figure it was not until James Harrison made a similar hit on Josh Cribbs in 2010 in the infamous Week 6, during which many vicious hits and associated injuries took place, that the NFL took action to crack down though executed poorly by not clarifying the rules until 2011. Hardly anyone could explain the damn rules and no one at all clearly! Then there was the NFL lockout in the offseason before the 2011 season.

The NFL also moved quickly at the time of the class action lawsuit to remove any NFL videos that celebrated big hits that were still for sale. And of course this sort of segment will never again air on ESPN and so forth.

He's only 31 years old mind you yet has been on the NFL concussion protocol for 9 MONTHS and has shown signs of going berserk already:

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723934-michael-oher-situation-highlights-the-ever-growing-fear-of-nfl-head-injuries]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723 ... d-injuries[/url]

There was much banter last night with regards to the hit on Nichols and whether it should be a penalty for roughing the passer, and indeed it was correctly so for the helmet-to-helmet hit, but I noticed that much of the discussion missed the central point.

Such hits to the head that certainly can be avoided should be outlawed altogether and at this rate they will be but for mostly play on the line that results in such mostly incidental though hard head shots. Even the head slap was taken away decades ago folks.