Another Annoying Half-Time Show

Actually, I thought they did a good job last time. However, I was being sarcastic with my suggestion, but maybe it didn’t come off. My point is that it doesn’t matter who you pick, you’ll never please everybody.

Personally, I think they should just try and get whomever is current and has some buzz.

I would have preferred a re-enactment of the 1963 hit by Big Ang on Willie Fleming, but I digress...

:D :D :D

Oski Wee Wee,

Agreed. It’s a ten minute “concert” on a portable stage, so in terms of musical entertainment, it’s not going to be life-changing no matter who performs.

It’s as much about the image of the league and event as it is about the music - as in, demonstrating that the Grey Cup is a first-rate event that can hire a top-of-the-charts performer. If a Canadian happens to have a song at the top of the North American charts, it just makes it a no-brainer to hire the Canadian.

Personally I find most half time shows boring. I’m only there for the football.

I will be at R.C. for the '07 Grey Cup and I don’t care who is doing the half-time show, I don’t even care if there is a show. I just hope the CFL doesn’t follow too closely in the NFL’s footsteps and do one of those lame over-the-top halftime paradies.

I did enjoy the pre-game fly-bys. The after-burner affect was ‘tres cool’.

What a waste of half-time.

Why isn't a band like Colin James playing half-time?

I am a really old guy and I loved Nelly. She is a real Maneater with the courage to sing live in cold weather. No "lipsyncing" here.
Some of the whiners should start listening to CHUM instead of CHML.
Pat Lynch (the old old guy in section 7 )

Here’s a thought. If the Cats had been playing yesterday, this thread would not exist.

An Argo fan

P.S. Incidentally, not a Nelly fan.

no.... it still would.... and it would either be the reason we lost (horrible half time distraction) or the reason we almost lost....

never underestimate a ticat fans' ability to place blame.

I was in Vegas a few weeks back and ended up meeting one of celine dion's dancers. She said next year they'll be in toronto to play at canada' super bowl!!

I hope not :slight_smile:

who cares about halftime? that’s the time to go pick up a pizza.

Isn’t that what a phone is for?

/end sarcasm

I’ll preface my comments by saying I’m NOT into hip-hop, or soul, or R&B or any of the other terms for rapping there are out there.

Nellie was eye-candy.

I actually expected to hear one of her earlier hits, possibly “**** on the Radio”, or “I’m Like a Bird”.

I did not know there was more than one song in that set.

I thought it was, at best, okay. However, it was Canadian, it was new, and it was enjoyable - even if only for the view of her buttocks.

If the truth be that the Rolling Stones are playing next year’s GC, I’ll be listening for very different reasons :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

actually we ordered it online. :smiley:

going to pick it up means we make sure to not see the halftime show.

Eye candy???

I’ve seen tighter asses on football players.

You just don’t like hip-hop music. If Nelly Furtado were to have sung the national anthem, and the girl who sang the anthem (Eva Avila) were to do the half-time show, you’d be saying the same thing. If you don’t like hip-hop music, you weren’t going to like Nelly Furtdao.

I agree with the last post. I hate hip hop as do most of my generation. That’s why its such a bad choice for the half-time show. Pi$$ing on half of your audience just isn’t smart buisness. Having said that, this year’s choice of artists was light years better than last years. The next step would be to improve the production value for TV so that we can actually HEAR CLEARLY. The sound system was pathetic. After you make certain your artist is Canadian and the sound system is adequate for both the stadium and TV THEN you find a compromise that won’t offend either your younger audience nor your older audience. They almost succeeded with this years show. At least I didn’t feel the NEED to shut off an R rated show to protect any youngsters ears

Well good luck with this. No matter who they pick they’ll be pi$$ing on half their audience.

I was at the game in Winnipeg and the Nelly half time show was ok. Not fantastic but you got to remember that its in an cold outdoor stadium on a portable stage. Its not my style of music that I like but at least they choose a Canadian who is relevant today in the music industry. And it was way better than Black Eyed Peas of last year.

Historically there have been compromise choices. Hip hop only appeals to about 30% of the audience as anyone with kids doesn’t want it played either. Its a dumb choice. Are you telling me that Hip Hop fans hate everything BUT hip hop? That is certainly not the case with music lovers that hate hip hop. There is a compromise. How about some youngster put up a suggestion rather than say that Hip Hop is the ONLY choice. I know I can afford it and was actually planning on going to Toronto next November for the Cup but I am NOT going to go BECAUSE of the half time show. How many of the supporters here are willing to put out the $400 for a pair. Not many I’ll bet. Almost anything else would be acceptable even if I don’t care for it. Even Celine Dione (gag)or country.

I didn't mind her singing too much or Socrates for that matter (and that says something cause I hate rap).

On Staurday at the Forks I watched (listened) to Peter Jordan of CBC and his band play. I was impressed. Good music and a good sense of humor.