Since there are a number of posts about improving the CFL and the Grey Cup, I thought it was time to resurrect my annual crusade to return the Grey Cup to its roots and play the game on Saturday.
The polically correct folks have moved the game to Sunday in an attempt to:
Make more money for the host city.
Get away from the "Grand National Drunk"
I feel that playing the game on Saturday is a far better choice. My reasons.
- Regardless of how the tea crowd feels, many people, myself included like to indulge during the game. Staging the game on Saturdays gives one day grace in nursing the annual hangover.
- People who like to travel to the game are forced to book one extra day off work as a travel day home. For most people I know this is a huge sacrifice, I am limited in my vacation days and the one extra day hurts more than the hangover.
- Many sports teams, non profits community groups have lost money that used to be made staging Grey Cup parties.
- Those travelling to the game are generally stuck in the host city, with nothing happening for one extra day.
- Those travelling to the game are forced, to cough up one more night in a hotel, just to boost the revenues for the host city.
- NFL fans are forced to choose, rather that experience both.
- For many the "Grey Cup Party" was the tradition that solidified them as CFL fans.
- Don't have to decide between the Grey Cup and church.
Please feel free to give reasons for holding the game on Sunday and spare me the "tradition" card, the tradition was to hold the game on Saturday long before Sunday games took over. Over the years, nobody has ever given a convincing arguement for the Sunday games, other that the host city getting more revenue. It is time to consider the fans over the money.
Just my take, not saying anyone else is wrong. Even though you are. :cowboy: (joke)