Annual Grey Cup should be on Saturday post

For those of us old enough to remember, the Grey Cup used to be played on Saturday and I for one think that it still should be. I will list my reasons and I would invite others to list some I miss or conversely list why Sunday is a better choice. The only reason I can see for playing the game on Sunday is that it squeases one more night of hotels so the host city gets one more day of revenue.

Reasons for moving the game back to Saturday.
-Allow for Sunday travel day home, there by eliminating the need to take the Monday off work, holidays are at a premium for me, I am sure it is the same for most people.
-A day buffer to nurse hangovers after Grey Cup parties.
-Renew the tradition of Grey Cup parties without having to clean-up or recover on a work day.
-Renew the reputation of the Grey Cup being the "Grand National Drunk"
-Not competing with NFL.
-Sunday is a church day :wink:
-Cities with CFL and pro hockey teams can do a double header.
-Fans in the Atlantic region can actually watch the game without going to work the next day with little or no sleep.
-Kids can watch the game without having to stay up late on a school night.

The GC is usually early enough in the evening that it's not a problem for us in the Atlantic Timezone. :slight_smile:

The last Grey Cup game on a Saturday was 1968; I remember that game as if it was yesterday. Being a Stampeder fan back then it was tough to see them lose to Ottawa, but the next season and the first on a Sunday; it was Ottawa again over Saskatchewan.....Russ Jackson thanks for the memories of the old Rough Riders.

Kick-off will be around 9:00 for you, which means that the game should end somewhere around midnight. That may be fine for you, most people don't want their kids up that late on a school night. If you plan to watch the game with friends, someone will have to drive home after the game so it would be past 1:00 am for them to get to bed. Saturday would be a far better option for them.

Not sure where you're getting your info from... but kickoff is at 3:30pm pacific making it 7:30pm atlantic time... not 9pm

According to CFL.ca and CBC, game time is 6:30 Eastern, which would mean that after coin tosses, anthems, cermonies etc. a 7:00 kick-off, approximately.

That stuff all happens before the scheduled kickoff time. They start player intros around 6 and kickoff is usually around 6:25. That's been the pattern for several years. There is no reason to believe they will deviate from the norm this year.

Even if it starts exactly at 6:30 Eastern, that still means that in Newfoundland the game will pretty much end near midnight, barring overtime. A Saturday game makes all that a non-issue.

Start time not withstanding, no body has come up with a reason why Sunday is a better day to play the game.

I would like the game to be Saturday for personal reasons, going to school in the States, and that weekend being American Thanksgiving, Sunday is usually the day I travel home. I did get to see the GC last year though, just had to leave a lot earlier then normal, and this year I will get to watch it as well because I am leaving a day later. But even without that travel day I would rather watch the game on Saturday nights because I would have been at the last 2 GC games if it had been. But I also must admit it just wouldn't be the same having it played on Saturday compared to Sunday!

Your right, it wouldn't be the same, it would be better. :cowboy:

Even though It doesn't matter to me > However, in the host city's stadium on Grey Cup weekend; the Vanier Cup on Saturday, followed by the Canadian Football Championship on Sunday is one suggested reason.

If it was on Saturday, it would conflict with hockey night in Canada, decreasing viewership numbers. Given the choice, I would prefer that it go head-to-head with the NFL rather than NHL. More Canadians watch NHL than NFL, so you would want the Grey Cup to conflict with the lesser-watched programs.

Having it on Saturday would also take away from the weekend celebration. The Grey Cup parade would have to be on Friday and by the time Sunday morning hits, everything is over. Your argument that eliminating the need to take the Monday off work is flawed because you would have to take an earlier day off instead (the Thursday prior for example). If they didn't just shift the Grey Cup festival by one day, then they would have to shorten it by one day, which nobody wants.

The Bulk of the NFL game are over by kick off. The Sunday Grey Cup has begun it’s own tradition (43 years)
Ratings are through the roof, so why fix something that is not broken? Saturdays are not the best day as people have more social gatherings,eg, weddings,socials, and more people work on Sat. than Sundays. As for work, people have a whole year to figure it out and for hangovers,suck it up butter cup! It’s part of the tradition to crawl in to work.

The game is not 4 hours long. It'd end closer to 11 in NL and 10:30 in the Maritimes, which really isn't that big of a deal at all. It's not that much different on Saturday because kids still have to be in bed...

And if you want to keep the CFL irrelevant in Toronto, I can't think of a better way then putting the Grey Cup on at the same time as the first place Leafs on HNIC. Competition against an evening NFL game is nowhere near as strong.

well, considering that it's been successful on the Sundays since they changed it. there really is no need to make the change.

Personally I'd prefer to get there on a Friday, enjoy the GC events on the Saturday and then have the game on Sunday.

As someone who enjoys Crown Royal I have to ask ... monday morning hangover, what's that? :cowboy:

half the people i invite to my grey cup parties cite having to work early monday as the reason they can't come ( out of town guests ) :thdn:

Reasons for moving the game back to Saturday.
"-Allow for Sunday travel day home, there by eliminating the need to take the Monday off work, holidays are at a premium for me, I am sure it is the same for most people."

Most people have to work on Fridays. Having the game on Saturdays means Friday becomes the travel day to the game.

"-A day buffer to nurse hangovers after Grey Cup parties."

Just don't drink or drink less and you won't have a hang over. AND you'll remember the game too.!

"-Renew the tradition of Grey Cup parties without having to clean-up or recover on a work day."

Saturday is a work day for many people. They would not be able to go to the game.

-Renew the reputation of the Grey Cup being the "Grand National Drunk"

What does having the game on Sunday have to do with getting drunk? People do regardless.

"-Not competing with NFL."

The CFL will NEVER have to compete with the NFL! There is no comparison and thus no competition.

"-Sunday is a church day"

Salvation is not a salvation of works. And besides most services are over before the game begins.

"-Fans in the Atlantic region can actually watch the game without going to work the next day with little or no sleep."

Fans in the Atlantic region have been able to go to work with little or no sleep for years. They are the ones holding this country together

"-Kids can watch the game without having to stay up late on a school night.

Kids have to get up early for church and Sunday school on Sunday morning. And beside kids stay up late anyway. You just don't know it.

:thup:

Keep it as is!