Andrew Harris Era - Nearly Over . . . ? ??

It was a great run culminating in a long-awaited Grey Cup victory in 2019 but the Andrew Harris era in Winnipeg appears to be drawing to a close.

Reason? Simple! Harris's body is falling apart.

The big kid is almost 35 now, he sat out a year (like we all did) in 2020 and he's had repetitive issues with his body .

Usually, Harris just pops up goes on the bike and re-inserts himself into the Bomber lineup. Now, he's been lying on the field more and more, less & less cycling.

Is this for certain? Nope. I'm giving you my unbiased opinion. Was Jon Cornish expected to retire at barely 31? I don't think so. Cornish had several nagging injuries starting at about 29, including a broken thumb, neck stiffness & suspected concussions and he was every bit the stud Andrew Harris is.
I suspect I'll be scoffed at by some for speculating. Actually, I am speculating - but its based on hard observation of a guy who's watched the CFL seriously over 50 years.
To do what Harris has done in his early to mid-30s even with modern physio-therapy is truly amazing. But the human body can only take so much abuse.
The fact that Harris's last two major injuries did not come from a on-field hit is the most disturbing thing in his file Remember, he suffered a similar leg injury in training camp and he missed the first 2 games of the season (no exhibitions this yr). Now, he was running in for a Bomber TD on a short hitch pass from Collaros (albeit awkwardly) and he damaged his knee.
Like Cornish before, the bomber braintrust is treating Harris's injury very coyly. Coach O'Shea is talking about a series of tests to determine the "extent" of the injury. That sounds serious to me - the main reason they're couching it is to create preparation doubt for the bombers next opponent this weekend (BC). Also, Harris sells tickets so if they announce he's been 6-gamed the Bombers ticket sales might dry up.
Ignoring the nonsense about injury announcements the sad fact is that Harris has been beleaguered by multiple knocks the last few months - and while he keeps coming back - he keeps going down.
My guess is Harris has a fairly serious knee injury requiring surgery. Bombers might try and "tape him up" and use pain-killers to get him in the lineup for the Western Final (and hopefully Grey Cup) but I suspect the end is very near for one of Winnipeg's all-time greats.

Harris going down and being out of the Wpg lineup is tough to swallow - but it would be a bigger loss to the Bombers if Collaros was lost - or Bighill & Jefferson on D. Bombers have a decent back-up in Oliveira but while Oliveira is almost as good a runner as Harris he's not quite the flanker/WR Harris has proven to be. Also, Harris knows more about brush-blocking than most backs in the CFL. His absence will cause problems for Buck Pierce's offense.

BTW, Mike O'Shea said the results on Harris won't be known til later in the week. Thats either a snowjob (we've had snowjobs before) or Harris knee is so swollen that x-rays & other visual probes can't be utilized until swellings reduce. So if thats the case - and O'Shea is telling the unvarnished truth - Bomber fans have much reason to be concerned.

3 Likes

Mostly agree, I also stated earlier this year, 2021 would/will be his last meaningful year.
I have hope he can recover for playoffs, including the Grey Cup.

1 Like

Most likely done in Winnipeg. Emmitt Smith played his last two seasons in Arizona so Harris will probably end his career in Ottawa.

2 Likes

Even if Harris is at 50% - if he is up for it then it would be a boost to Ottawa's offense! Can he play LT though?

Harris has been fun to watch and hope that this isn't the start of the end for him.

3 Likes

Why in the Hell would he want to play in Ottawa for ? I mean does anyone honestly want to play there as of late ? Trust me the only way that Harris ends his career in Ottawa is if he becomes a politician . He could become the Minister of Performance Enhancing Drugs or whatever it's called these days . :exploding_head: :syringe:

1 Like

Only way Harris plays a final year in Ottawa is if Winnipeg decides to move on from him (due to continued injuries). They'll still cast a statue of Harris outside Winnipeg's stadium and put him in their own Hall of Fame.
If Ottawa gives Harris a pre-paid contract for $125k, Harris will pocket the money and then take his chances on the field.

1 Like

I think we all knew the AH Era is coming to an end, but he still has more chapters to write, I can guarentee you that. Lets hope it can end much like last season!
As for the next bit, heal up Andrew....Brady can take over for 1 week, and then there's a bye!

With some career milestones maybe not hit due to lack of games (not production) I could very well see him come back 1 more year.

Andrew Harris a été un joueur de premier plan. Il est possible que cette blessure mette fin à sa carrière prochainement, mais il est aussi possible qu'il rebondisse pour une saison ou deux, un peu comme l'a fait Whitaker ou Johnson (je pense aussi à Wes Cates qui avait fait un brillant retour après une sérieuse blessure qui l'avait tenu à l'écart pratiquement une saison).

Mais à 35 ans, il est déjà un demi offensif qui a beaucoup de football dans le corps. C'est "vieux" pour un joueur à cette position. Inéluctablement, il faut s'attendre à ce que sa carrière s'achève prochainement, si cette fois-ci n'est pas celle qui y mettra fin.

1 Like

It was odd to me when he returned to Sideline he wasn't talking to trainers at all but commentators did say there was a knee brace under his track pants so i would think at minimum he could have been ligament sprain .

2 Likes

So perhaps O'Shea's dodge is a cap issue - ie. whether to 6-game Harris and open up money for a legit backup QB and/or Castillo. Either way if its a ligament strain, you want to get a proper assessment/diagnosis/prognosis so that you make the money move and hope you can reinstate Harris for the Western final, Grey Cup, etc.

1 Like

True would need proper testing and knee related injury he would of gotten a mri / or ultrasound . Pretty sure athletes usually get mri results within a few days or so not weeks like the average person.

So many people criticize Harris for steroids etc. It's nice to see someone give him a compliment by calling him pretty :wink:

2 Likes

Depends....he was playing well, but the older athletes get, the harder it is to come back from injuries.

2 Likes

I believe you're referring to our internationally famous 'Ministry of Putting One Thing on Top of Another.' It's a darn good example of what government officials can do with a spare billion dollars of taxpayer money when they put their minds to it. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

in addition to picking up former all-star DB Winston Rose (2 DB injuries including Nick Taylor precipitated the move) Bombers also brought former BC Lion's RB Shaq Cooper. Doesn't say that much about Cooper - but it informs us greatly that the Harris injury is more than just a 2 or 3 game recovery. Very much sounds like Harris will be 6-gamed and he'll be day to day for either the Western Final or Grey Cup.

1 Like

Andrew Harris had a great career and we have to be grateful for that. He was one of the best. He has nothing to prove anymore. I'd like to see him walk away without a limp. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I said it was probably a tear when I saw it. Bomber fans mocked. Looks like I was right.

Now we will see if ZC can make a full season

Unless his injury is truly catastrophic I suspect Harris will want to either heal his injury, operate on the damaged area and complete his career with at least another run of games.
Just like Jon Cornish before him, injuries have suddenly piled up on the great canadian RB.
The irony is both injuries (training camp and last week's short but awkward jaunt into the Elks end-zone) were non-contact affairs. Whether that makes them more or less serious is not the point. Non-contact injuries can be more serious because it didn't take the force of a 300 lb. DT landing on you - or a DB cutting your knees out before you brace yourself for contact. It actually means your body is giving out without such contact. Should know by Friday - but in Bomberland you never know as they could start babbling about more analysis, more tests, more recuperation, etc.
At this point its pretty clinical. You save a bunch of coin putting Harris on the 6-game IR . . . money used to bring guys like Rose, Castillo, Cooper aboard. However, don't have to technically place him on the 6 until just before Saturday's game w/ BC to maximize cap space.

Thas a big jump to saying you're right.
And I told you to put your Bomber voodoo dolls down!

1 Like

Rider fans are always coming up with exaggerated and wildly inaccurate medical “diagnoses”

Reminds me of when Rob Bagg’s knee gave out during a game in 2013. Bagg left the field in tears.

The numerous “medical experts” on the Rider message board immediately proclaimed that it was a career ending complete tear of all his knee ligaments and the best we could pray for is that Bagg could somehow avoid having his injured leg amputated at the hip.

Two days later Bagg was running stadiums.

2 Likes