An interesting Xmas Present

Hey fellow fans

I just thought I'd share an interesting present I received this Christmas.

Apparently this is a pendant from shortly after the team began playing at Ivor Wynne and took on the new name of Tiger-Cats. When I received it, I was told that it was purchased from an antique shop, and said it's from the 40's which I raised an eyebrow at since the team didn't merge until 1950. It's going on my wall regardless, but I just thought I'd float it out there if there were any older fans who might recognize the pendant (I'm lookin' at you Earl :wink: ), or if there is anyone who might be able to vouch for it's authenticity. I'm debating calling the Ti-Cats or the HoF to ask if they have anyone who might have any insight.

Just thought I'd float it out there, it's a nice present regardless.

and yes, it's sitting on my seat from Ivor Wynne

Whether its authentic or not, sitting on a piece of IWS is good enough!

Hi Hammer:

I can tell you without reservation that your pendant is authentic unless someone took it upon themselves
to reproduce the old pendants. I had a couple of these years ago and I think they got lost in one of our moves.

Pendants were quite popular back in the day. I had them all over the recreation room in our basement. I remember
them well as they represented several teams from many sports including CFL, NFL, NHL and NBA.

Naturally, my personal favourite was the one you now have from the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

Wow! That is awesome!

I love old memorabilia like that!

This is what I got

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3Hy2Cmh4wj0knsyNzo4wZ4NwFkhrPD06DtIdoA7YtnI2qXNCH

Have searched for info on it,can't find anything at all,we'll keep looking though,all I can figure is,is that it Can't be from the "40"s,the earliest it could possibly be is the 1950 season,as before then the Tiger-Cats didn't exist.It's still a nice piece though of memorabilia and if from the 50's at least 60 yrs old at least.I'm just wondering if it's possible to maybe find some old pics of the stadium from the 50's era and see if it pops up somewhere in the stands,flying in the breeze in the background.I'll check it out and see what I can find out. :slight_smile: :cowboy:

I sent an email to the HoF, but it's still the holiday season, so I'm not expecting a response until well into the new year. I'm glad to hear from rocky that he apparently used to have one, so that puts me towards it being authentic. Either way, glad to share it with you guys.

I'm also planning on getting a couple picture frames of the team's history. Specficaly a black and white frame with the HAAA grounds, Civic Stadium and Mosca raising the cup at Ivor Wynne and another frame with Ivor Wynne as it stood after the last reno, Alumni and when a good picture of it gets released, packed with fans, Tim Horton's Field.

-H-, great looking pennant. The colours and lettering look like an authentic TC pennant, but I've never seen anything like it without the logo or tassel. You've got a rare find. Here are two others that are probably from the early 1950s:

This one without logo ...

... and this one may be the earliest with a logo. It also came in yellow with black lettering.

FYI, I've asked the HOF questions about memorabilia. They will answer questions by email, but they probably won't give you a hard answer about the pennant's origin. They tend to be cagey about authentication, maybe because there is money and reputation tied up in the resale value of memorabilia.

That is one ugly leaping tiger. I'm glad they improved the Tiger over the years. Still, they are great keep sakes.

received a cool gift myself, but my question is how do I post a picture of it on here!

[quote=“HA1912GCC”]-H-, great looking pennant. The colours and lettering look like an authentic TC pennant, but I’ve never seen anything like it without the logo or tassel. You’ve got a rare find. Here are two others that are probably from the early 1950s:

… and this one may be the earliest with a logo. It also came in yellow with black lettering.

I have the other one you mention, yellow with black lettering.
I would love to know how old it is.

To post an image, the image has to be available on line already. You just need its web address.

When you open a reply box in this forum, there should be a series of yellow buttons across the top of it.
Hit the button that says "Img". That should insert two codes in your reply that look something like this:
{img} {/img}
If you insert the web address for your image between the two codes, then the image should appear in your reply.

Good luck!

Is it possible to post an image of something that you have saved on your computer. If so, how??

It's not possible directly from this forum. You would need to upload the image to some form of free image hosting service, like photobucket and then link to that picture. That is, unless you know how to start up your own webserver, which I'm pretty sure if you did, you wouldn't be asking.

Very cool.