An honest look at CFL teams.

I know this might be kind of early for this, but seeing that the other thread with season standings is posted I figured I would take a stab at another topic.

From a preseason prospective - and the ways that every team seems to be shaping up - what is your honest assessment of each team going into season, and what do you hope to see from them from a POSITIVE point of view.

I shall start.

West

British Columbia Lions: First off, I adore the province. It is my favourite place in the world to visit. Now, that's out of the way. The team... Okay. I have to say it is sad to see that the Lions have been struggling in the west the past couple of seasons, as they used to be thought of as a powerhouse team. However, I think that the issues with quarterback injuries greatly affected the offense. Buck Pierce seemed to be a glass cannon; Jarious Jackson seemed to show moments of brilliance and other moments of being ineffective; and both rookie QB's Champion and Lulay showing potential, albeit young. I do believe the signing of Printers proved to be effective as he seemed to show a lot of confidence and potential while running the offense. I believe, and hope to see, that Printers will be able to run the offense this season to a respectable result at the season's end. They have a great set of receivers as well as a lot of depth at running back. I hope that BC will be able to call themselves a powerhouse team again rather sooner than later.

Edmonton Eskimos: Another place that I love. It is a beautiful city. The Esks have seem to have drifted in and out of the spotlight these past seasons. They have either been great, mediocre, or not very good at all. It is a shame as they are guided by my personal favourite quarterback Ricky Ray. Although it seems that Ray has shown his age as of late as he isn't as explosive as he used to be - that of course could be due to the lack of overall ability on the rest of the offense. He is smart, and has shown through quite a few games that he still has the ability to make big plays - but I think that, being somewhat a captain of his sinking ship, he is going down with it. I am hoping the pick up of new talent this preseason will lead the Esks to stronger defense, and an offense reminiscent of the Evil Empire they used to be. If Ray ever decides to hang his hat, they do have a valuable back-up in Maas.

Calgary Stampeders: This team is actually hosted in my all-time favourite Canadian city. I love Calgary. I plan on moving there, actually. Anyways. What can I say about the Stamps other than they seem to be an offensive powerhouse. I tend to think that the Stamps are a well-rounded team. Good offense, good defense. Lackluster special teams. Henry Burris is pretty much the sheriff, being able to run and throw at a high-caliber rate. Being backed by a potentially successful Nealy doesn't help either. Reynolds was a beast the past two seasons, and I am sure he will continue to be so this season. They have a respectful set of receivers, a decent offensive line, and a defense that holds characters like Hughes and Lysack - which can only mean trouble for other teams. I hope the Stamps continue to stay as strong as they have been as of late, because I tend to think they deserve to have some limelight for once. They seem to be overshadowed by both BC and Saskatchewan.

Saskatchewan Roughriders: I'll try my best not to biased here. From a fan-prospective.. Yes, I love the Saskatchewan Roughriders. They are my favourite team and always will be. I bleed green, and all that nonsense. I am really glad to see that we have come as far as we have since 2006. I grew up watching the Riders, and I often thought that we were the worst team in the world, but I still loved them. So it was weird to see that in the 2000's when Barrett rolled in that we began to form into something other than terrible. And to see this team come from rags to riches within such a short time is astonishing, and I do hope it lasts. It is a franchise that deserves it. I think Durant (my second favourite quarterback) will guide, arguably, the best offense in the league to a great finish this season. I do believe that Dinwiddie is a viable back-up, despite popular belief. He is a good back-up. There isn't much to say about the rest of the offense considering how little nit-picking it needs. The defense may struggle this season, but I believe that our special teams will give them a lot of breathing room. I guess I just hope that this season will be just as good as the last. If not, oh well.

I will post my East division reviews later on.

I return.

East

Winnipeg Blue Bombers: Even though this team seems to be the arch-nemesis of Saskatchewan, I have to feel a bit sorry for them. They have had rotten luck lately what with coaching issues, quarterback issues, the list goes on. From a team that was a solid contender for the grey cup two-three years ago, it is a bit shocking to see them come down so low. Although I found it sad that Glenn was removed from the team, and then decided to settle with the likes of Michael Bishop (an apparent curse in the league), I am all for this competition for a solid starting quarterback. Buck Pierce, although a glass cannon, is a solid starter and would really help out this struggling team. Steven Jyles would be a great backup in case, and this case being most likely, Pierce goes down. Jyles has the mobility and an ability to make plays although he doesn't have enough experience to start in this league. As for LeFors, DiMichele, and Brink... I think it will be a battle for third. LeFors has the limited experience, and has shown moments of brilliance, but then moments of sheer desperation. The rest of the offense is rather limited in terms of experience or ability - Reid and Bowman being the main source for experience. The defense is spotty with a few start players such as Ike Charleton, however it feels as though the defense really needs to tighten the bolts and oil the gears to get it going and to perform at a respectable level. This is a team that has the potential to get back to its old self, but its going to be a bit of a journey to get there. I wish them the best. It is always good to have competition.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats: The Ti-Cats are my second favourite team. I love these guys. Even though they have been struggling endlessly for years, I think they bring a lot of energy to the game, and I can't help but admire both the players and fans during their difficult times. I think this new revamp is going to be a definite improvement for them, which is an improvement that has been a long time coming. Kevin Glenn piloting the offense seems to just be the right decision, as he is able really make some explosive plays. Kevin Glenn along with Arland Bruce III, Dave Stala, and DeAndra Cobb, makes both and aerial and ground force in the works. Quinton Porter is a solid back-up, although a tad inconsistent - he shows potential to hopefully take charge of the team once Glenn has moved on. As for the defense.. Well, it certainly isn't as exciting as the offense - but with guys like Floyd, Johnson, and Shivers around I don't think they will have many weaknesses. Although I do hope to see some more improvement in the defense either this year or next. They could hopefully become the beast of the east again someday.

Toronto Argonauts: Being a part-time Argonut (Toronto being my third favourite team) I have to say that the Argonauts deserve the award for taking the most bites out of the Crap-Sandwich. A team with the biggest question mark hovering above it's head, it's hard not to feel sorry for the white and blue. With single-digit win seasons and the loss of coaches and quarterbacks (including poor old Kerry Joseph), there is really no way the team can get any worse from what it has been. I like Barker's approach to the quarterback situation, bringing in all new guys in hopes to find a diamond in the rough. In fact, that tends to be his approach to the whole team. New faces are popping up in all positions. It seems an onslaught of fresh meat is going to be put to the test, and at the very best - trained and built to become a solid group of athletes. I believe Barker's idea about building from the ground up is the best chance the Argos have to become anything more than they have been. Of course, being a nearly new and young team, it is going to be quite awhile before we see anything productive. That is, of course, there is some football miracle in Toronto. I admire this team for pulling through even after all the ridicule it has been put up against. I think that with new talent comes a fresh start. That is what these guys need.

Montreal Alouettes: What can I even say about the Als? Grey Cup champs last year, and a solid team that has been on top of the east for years. They have arguably the best quarterback in the league right now, and a solid back-up in McPherson. They are a powerhouse through and through. Calvillo, Cobourne, Cahoon, Bratton, Watkins, Richardson on offense - Wright, Cox, Emry, Brown, Stewart, and Walls tearing it up on defense. The team is full of stars. I think the only thing that has truly hurt the Als this off season was Larry Taylor signing with the Jets, but it is only a matter of time before they find a suitable replacement. If Trestman continues to keep this team in tip-top shape, I don't think it will have any problems in the next years to come. I suppose the only thing I can hope for is that Calvillo manages to stay healthy and that they find a strong kick/punt returner.

Breathes Alrighty. There is my full assessment of the CFL teams. What are yours?

PS - Saskatchewan will win the 2010 Grey Cup :wink:

West

British Columbia Lions: First off, I adore the province. It is my favourite place in the world to visit. Now, that's out of the way. The team... Okay. I have to say it is sad to see that the Lions have been struggling in the west the past couple of seasons, as they used to be thought of as a powerhouse team. However, I think that the issues with quarterback injuries greatly affected the offense. Buck Pierce seemed to be a glass cannon; Jarious Jackson seemed to show moments of brilliance and other moments of being ineffective; and both rookie QB's Champion and Lulay showing potential, albeit young. I do believe the signing of Printers proved to be effective as he seemed to show a lot of confidence and potential while running the offense. I believe, and hope to see, that Printers will be able to run the offense this season to a respectable result at the season's end. They have a great set of receivers as well as a lot of depth at running back. I hope that BC will be able to call themselves a powerhouse team again rather sooner than later.

Lack of stability at the QB position, Draftees have been slow to pan out and most have been cut or lost to NFL. Terrible scouting of import players at the talented positions since Shivers has taken over from Obilovitch, they need to sign guys to 2+1 or walk away. Might be time for Wally to move to the GM position only.

Edmonton Eskimos: Another place that I love. It is a beautiful city. The Esks have seem to have drifted in and out of the spotlight these past seasons. They have either been great, mediocre, or not very good at all. It is a shame as they are guided by my personal favourite quarterback Ricky Ray. Although it seems that Ray has shown his age as of late as he isn't as explosive as he used to be - that of course could be due to the lack of overall ability on the rest of the offense. He is smart, and has shown through quite a few games that he still has the ability to make big plays - but I think that, being somewhat a captain of his sinking ship, he is going down with it. I am hoping the pick up of new talent this preseason will lead the Esks to stronger defense, and an offense reminiscent of the Evil Empire they used to be. If Ray ever decides to hang his hat, they do have a valuable back-up in Maas.

Team is run like a country club, the love in is cute but complacency is all over that team. Hall will be a little more assertive with a year under his belt. Ray is still a great QB but until the coaching staff commits to a running game, he will be limited.

Calgary Stampeders: This team is actually hosted in my all-time favourite Canadian city. I love Calgary. I plan on moving there, actually. Anyways. What can I say about the Stamps other than they seem to be an offensive powerhouse. I tend to think that the Stamps are a well-rounded team. Good offense, good defense. Lackluster special teams. Henry Burris is pretty much the sheriff, being able to run and throw at a high-caliber rate. Being backed by a potentially successful Nealy doesn't help either. Reynolds was a beast the past two seasons, and I am sure he will continue to be so this season. They have a respectful set of receivers, a decent offensive line, and a defense that holds characters like Hughes and Lysack - which can only mean trouble for other teams. I hope the Stamps continue to stay as strong as they have been as of late, because I tend to think they deserve to have some limelight for once. They seem to be overshadowed by both BC and Saskatchewan.

More proof why you should not let your coach act as general manager. Not sure what kind of relationship Barker and Huff had but one thing is for sure this team has lost another all star Cnd. player and the whole defense needs to be rebuilt. Jones has got his hands full. This team may have to start trading high draft picks if their NI talent gets a few injuries. Paper thin...

Saskatchewan Roughriders: I'll try my best not to biased here. From a fan-prospective.. Yes, I love the Saskatchewan Roughriders. They are my favourite team and always will be. I bleed green, and all that nonsense. I am really glad to see that we have come as far as we have since 2006. I grew up watching the Riders, and I often thought that we were the worst team in the world, but I still loved them. So it was weird to see that in the 2000's when Barrett rolled in that we began to form into something other than terrible. And to see this team come from rags to riches within such a short time is astonishing, and I do hope it lasts. It is a franchise that deserves it. I think Durant (my second favourite quarterback) will guide, arguably, the best offense in the league to a great finish this season. I do believe that Dinwiddie is a viable back-up, despite popular belief. He is a good back-up. There isn't much to say about the rest of the offense considering how little nit-picking it needs. The defense may struggle this season, but I believe that our special teams will give them a lot of breathing room. I guess I just hope that this season will be just as good as the last. If not, oh well.

Very difficult to predict where this team will be this year. Tillman, LaPolice, Baggs, Chick, Williams and the psychological impact of losing the GC on a stupid error may leave them vulnerable or motivated. This team has done a great job of drafting and developing the talent Tillman acquired so as long as they hang on to these players they will be a competitive team. Also to watch will be how the relationship between Berry and Durant develops. Was Berry driven nuts by a meddling Bauer or is he just a plain wack job ??? Can the defensive unit handle the loss of the rest of their better talent ???

Sask certainly has the tools to get back to the big game and win, but we'll see how they adjust to losing both bookends on defense and two-thirds of their coordinators. I love that they have developed a stable of great young Canadian receivers. Don't see that too often.

On Ray 'showing his age', he's only in his '20s. :wink: If he stays healthy, Ricky will break a lot of CFL records over the next 10-15 years.

....good assessment by dvhann,,,,one of the fairer takes on the teams for 2010.....other than being a little biased on where he prefers to live....good job......One little side note.....pity for the Bombers isn't needed...This team has turned a cornor and there's nowhere to go but up :thup: :wink: Bring on 2010 :thup:

I believe the Riders will be fine. They’ll find replacements for those guys. With all the potential talent on the market out there, it just takes a good scout and some luck and you have your replacements.

teams do it all the time! Riders will be no different.

too many people think that when you lose someone it’s over. But the CFL is different, because all that talent out there waiting for somebody to give them a chance can easily become a somebody from a nobody!

Chick is a good example. before he came to the Riders he was just another football player and now he’s a Defensive MVP and a Colt!

it can happen at anytime to anyone.

Really? It read like a 10 year old girl’s essay on “Why I Love Horses”. Reading through that, I can’t recall a single analytical thought - everything was peachy-keen.

This is well and good as a general rule, but it’s not a guarantee. Sure, teams replace players frequently … and fail to replace them adequately too. It took my Als years to find a suitable replacement for Jermaine Copeland (Jamel Richardson). The Esks have been looking for a running back to carry the mail since Pringle retired.

I’m not saying the Riders can’t replace Chick and Baggs. I’m saying that they aren’t guaranteed to replace them. Tillman did a lot of good work, though, so my gut feeling is that Sask will be fine. The bookends won’t be quite as dominant as Chick and Baggs were last year, but they should be effective, particularly in Etcheverry’s wacky fronts that basically give them free access to the QB if the opposing O-linemen get out of their gaps and start blocking bodies instead of looks.

WEST DIVISION: In order of predicted finish.

CALGARY: Offensive powerhouse on paper... great rec's and RB, but they've taken a major hit at O-Line which may reduce their effectiveness. Defense should improve slightly from last season, but is still their weak point.

SASKATCHEWAN: Not convinced Berry's offense will be as effective as LaPolice's. He's already talking about reducing the number of canadian starters from the 4 they had last year, to 2 or 3. Their RB's are below average... love Szarka, but he's aging. That puts more pressure on Durant to run, which risks injury, and they have little depth at QB. Defense has lost some key players in Chick, Baggs, Eddie Davis... Barrin Simpson is a decent band-aid for now in the leadership department. Returner Dominique Dorsey will be an impact player on S.teams and offence.

EDMONTON: Richie Hall taking over the DC position in addition to being HC is the best move they could've made. They've already brought in some key defensive additions in DB’s Lenny Walls, Willie Amos, and Lawrence Gordon as well as LB Javier Glatt. Add a healthy Adam Braidwood, and the Esk defence should be much improved. If that’s the case, don’t be surprised to see Edmonton challenge for top spot in a tight top 3 in the west.

B.C.: Could be another tough year for the western cats. Rebuilding. Printers will likely re-establish himself as a quality CFL QB, but he can’t do it himself. I’m not sure ANY QB can stay healthy behind the Lion’s O-Line, and their offense forces QB’s to hang on to the ball longer than most. WR Simon is long in the tooth and a notorious slow-starter, and RB is a big question-mark. Losing S Baron Miles will have an effect on a defense that is being shuffled again. Won’t be in the same class as the top 3.

East preview to come soon.

And for those saying, ikay, genius, put your money where your mouth is, my comments are below HfxTC's, in Green.

Lack of stability at the QB position, Draftees have been slow to pan out and most have been cut or lost to NFL. Terrible scouting of import players at the talented positions since Shivers has taken over from Obilovitch, they need to sign guys to 2+1 or walk away. Might be time for Wally to move to the GM position only.

Folks are starting to ask if BC is rebuilding, re-loading, or simply treading water. Criticism of Wally that would have bordered on blasphemy 3 years ago is starting to find some traction. His once-masterful job of QB development and management has over the last two off-seasons produced a couple of head-scratcher moves, and legitimate controversies unlike anything in years' past. Combine a revolving door at the game's most important position with the two-headed monster of an old-age/big salary purge and an exodus of a handful of true studs to the NFL, and this team's once-vaunted depth has been sanded pretty thin. I think the Lions have been fair to middlin' in recruiting - enough to keep a solid team afloat, but not to keep up with the departures of the last two off-seasons.

In a very tough West, BC has to have a lot of things come together the right way, as there are legitimate questions in all areas save for the receiving corps. If the stars align, 9-9 or 10-8 are not out of the question, however no one outside of lotusland would be shocked if the Lions stumbled to a 6 or 7 win campaign.

Team is run like a country club, the love in is cute but complacency is all over that team. Hall will be a little more assertive with a year under his belt. Ray is still a great QB but until the coaching staff commits to a running game, he will be limited.

Any analysis that includes the phrase "a valuable back-up in Maas" has to be taken with a grain of salt. Jason Maas has the best job in the CFL - he gets paid 6 figures to run the scout team in practice, soothe Ray's confidence during games, and mop up a few games in garbage time. He hasn't thrown a meaningful pass since returning to Edmonton. He's like the baseball long reliever who only comes in when the starter is shelled, so he can't really do any more damage.

Anyway, Edmonton is in the throes of a post-Hughie Campbell world, where gifted players no longer seem to magically appear just when needed, and are coached by legends of the game (The Don, Jackie Parker, Ronnie...). They've dipped into free agency more in the last 3 years than they did in the previous 10, and, equally telling, are no longer the go-to roster weak teams look at each offseason when free agency comes around. To have a hall of fame QB play for the Eskimoes in the prime of his career and they finish 4-4-4-3 in the last 4 years says more than I can about the team's talent level (at all levels of the organization). Yet again, Danny has rolled the dice with some free agent signings and trades - it will be interesting to see if a magical combination has been achieved, or whether it will be a case of SSDD (same s**t, different day).

Since, given the state of the East, it seems hard to imaging both Edmonton and BC being awful, you're probably looking at something between 7 and 10 wins for the Eskies again. If BC stumbles, lean to the higher number. If Wally's moves pay off, well, you get the drift.

More proof why you should not let your coach act as general manager. Not sure what kind of relationship Barker and Huff had but one thing is for sure this team has lost another all star Cnd. player and the whole defense needs to be rebuilt. Jones has got his hands full. This team may have to start trading high draft picks if their NI talent gets a few injuries. Paper thin...

A still-dynamite offence and good and a no-nonsense detail-oriented coach will probably paper over a few weaknesses for this season at least. Hank, Joffrey and a quality stable of receivers should compensate for two massive losses on the o-line. Defensively it's been a revolving door for a couple of years, and even with the inconsistency, they've often found a way - as long as they haven't rolled that dice one too many times. Canadian depth has to be a concern....I know, they have 34 Canadians on their roster - I've been publicly made aware of that fact. However, numbers aren't everything - and there are not a lot of known quantities among that group. Compare Calgary's NI depth to Montreal or SK, and the point becomes self-evident. Two or three injuries to the wrong people, and things may get off the rails in a hurry. However, playing the odds, you gotta book Hank for somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 wins.

Very difficult to predict where this team will be this year. Tillman, LaPolice, Baggs, Chick, Williams and the psychological impact of losing the GC on a stupid error may leave them vulnerable or motivated. This team has done a great job of drafting and developing the talent Tillman acquired so as long as they hang on to these players they will be a competitive team. Also to watch will be how the relationship between Berry and Durant develops. Was Berry driven nuts by a meddling Bauer or is he just a plain wack job ??? Can the defensive unit handle the loss of the rest of their better talent ???
[/quote]
The continuing losses of personnel seem to tell you that things have to slow down for these former lovable losers, but they've been as resilient as they ever have. Ten years ago the turnover of the last 2 campaigns would have the team reeling, but a strange new attitude has sprung from next-year land. Offensively, one has to think they can only be better - a full season under Durant's belt, a receiving corps that was good last year plus Rodriguez and hands-down the deepest o-line in the country - if Cates returns to form at all, offense won't be the problem. Berry, despite the Winnipeg meltdown year, should be fine - his finest stretch in the league was as OC under The Don in Montreal at the turn of the millenium, and those were good teams, with good offences.

Plugging the holes on defence will be the determining factor. The key will be d-line, namely the end position. If they can come some way to replacing Chick and Baggs, the other losses will be less noticeable. Simpson for Williams is actually an upgrade, and he'll QB the defence much like ED did last year. McKenzie is highly touted by the coaches, and Etch's defence is one that likes to keep people off-guard - a second year in his system should only bring more of the same, as it's been stated that he wasn't close to running his full package last year in his first year as DC.

If the D personnel is as good as it's been (or close) look for 11-12 wins. If they get into some 48-42 thrillers, or both BC and Edmonton are stronger than anticipated, they could back up to 9-9. I'm biased, but I'll bet the former.

…where did i say ‘ANALYSIS’…it’s a ‘peach-keen’ assessment or general over-view…I know you like the controversial…slobber knocker type reviews arte…i thought this was a nice switch…setting-up the season till the real bullets start flying…He was pretty kind to your green-guys…i thought you’d be all over that. :lol: :lol: :stuck_out_tongue:

Good thread and good post dvhann.

The Als play Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto a combined 10 times, so chalk up at least 8 W’s from that. If they play the West .500 (and they should) you’ve got a 12 win effort right there. Barring injury to AC, it’s hard to imagine a worse record…if the Grey Cup hangover is not to bad, 13 or even 14 wins is still in the realm of possibility. But the boys in the bleu, blanc et rouge are getting older, and maybe the fire doesn’t burn quite as hot this year…so a 15 win repeat is not in cards. Call it lucky 13 for the Als, and another cruise control trip to the Big Dance in Edmonton

Well, you said assessment, I said analysis. I’m not sure what the difference is between them. Either way, I didn’t think it assessed anything…

I’m sorry you didn’t like my… er… Essay Arte. I guess I just prefer having a positive outlook rather than a negative. As far as assessment - maybe I used the wrong word. How about I just say OPINION. That sounds less incriminating. :lol:

…analysis/assessment…opinion works
…am i ever glad training camp opens in a couple of days… :rockin: :lol:

Right.

In the words of Homer Simpson "And now comes the easiest part of a coach's job - the cuts."

EAST DIVISION: In order of predicted finish.

MONTREAL: No major changes means they have to be considered the favourite to stay at the top. Calvillo has to show his age at some point, doesn’t he? O-Line is also aging. Trestman is the best play-caller in the CFL. Great coaching staff.

HAMILTON: They’ve created the new template of how to re-build a franchise. O’Billovich has been a superstar. Bellefuille has been spectacular… they’ve built a great coaching staff, have a great mix of veterans and youth. Good QB depth. Added Jason Jimenez to an already very deep O-Line. Maurice Mann rounds out a good rec corps with Stala, Bruce and Bauman. Defensive line still a question mark, and secondary is only average at best. Their most important addition is the best kicker in the CFL, Sandro DeAngelis.

WINNIPEG: Very unpredictable due to major changes to the management of franchise. This was a good team missing a QB last year… and a horrible offensive system. If they’ve corrected that, they could surprise a lot of people and be in the mix at the end. LaPolice should be a massive upgrade to Mike Kelly. LaPo runs a very dynamic offense as shown in Saskatchewan. Also may be one of best play-callers in league. Pierce and Jyles should be huge upgrade at QB, especially if Pierce stays healthy. Quality o-line, decent receivers, good RBs. Good defense was on the field too long last year. Losses of LB Shabazz, and DB’s (Halfbacks) Lenny Walls and Jonathan Hefney may be tough to fill.

TORONTO: Unfortunately the boatmen are probably a year away from paddling their way back to respectability. They finally have good people at the very top with Braley, Nicholson and Clemons. Braley knows how to re-build, having him as owner will help, but I think he came aboard a little too late to make the correct restructuring this year. Jim Barker is a good choice… but as GM, not as coach. He’s a great personnel man, not a great coach. IMHO Rita is part of the problem and needs to go. This duo will probably combine to bring in some good talent this year, but its doubtful they’ll flourish until next season… and only if Barker replaces Rita as GM, and bring in an established CFL man as head coach like a Tim Burke or Greg Marshall. Or bring in Eric Tillman as GM for a fresh start. Another NFL experiment at QB will fail like it has so many times before. If they have the guts to stick with one of these guys, it may payoff next year. Hope they keep the Canadian QB around to develop and give hardcore Argos fans someone local to follow.

I think you guys are all wrong about BC only winning 7-8 games they are going to be the suprise of the CFL this year challaging for first all year long and Casey Printers will win the MVP.( throwing for over 5000 yards)

i say BC ends up 11-7 second place at the worst.