An at home semi-final for the Lions?

IF....the Lions win their 2 remaining regular season games there are 3 ways [that I can see] for B.C. to host a semi-final playoff game by taking 2nd place:

A) Saskatchewan must win both its remaining games = 23 pts to B.C.’s 20 and Calgary’s 19
B) Saskatchewan must lose both its remaining games = 19 pts to B.C.’s 20 and Calgary’s 21
C) A Saskatchewan loss in Hamilton but a win in Calgary = 21 pts to B.C.’s 20 to Calgary’s 19.

It is possible for the Lions to host an at home semi-final game by winning just one of its remaining games and tying the other. This would give B.C. 19 points. But this will mean Saskatchewan must lose both of its remaining games as well. If Calgary and Saskatchewan tie they would each have 20 points putting B.C in 3rd spot.

Assuming B.C. wins both of its remaining games, the game between Saskatchewan and Calgary will be monumental for B.C. Lions fans!

It is conceivable that there could be a 3 way tie with Calgary, Saskatchewan and B.C. all ending up with 20 points. Horrors of horrors. Then they would have to see which team won its series against the other by virtue of wins or total points in the series. If this doesn’t break the dead lock then they start looking at total points for the season and total points against. After that I don’t have a clue what they would do…but I don’t think it will have to go that far.

Feel free to correct something if I’ve miscalculated.

Oh by the way, I’ve not looked at the cross-over possibilities. I don’t have the energy to look at the different possibilities should B.C. end up in the cross-over. That might be another way B.C. could host the semi-final. Maybe someone else could do the honors.

You have to love the parity we have seen in the West this year.

It would be great to see the Semi Final here but I'm not too worried, I'm sure we'll win it here or on the road. :smiley:

Agreed - it would be great to see the semi-final here but, given the start to this season, I think that just making the playoffs is a huge bonus.

I ran the stats (posted on another thread) and the chance of us hosting a semi is roughly 1 in 5.

If the lions cross over they can only finish as high as third no matter if their record is higher then the second place team in the east. It is just how the rules work.
I would say we should focus on winning out and everything else will fall into the right place.

Don't worry about the playoffs... pretty sure we will be there. Let's just think about the next two games, we need those.

Didn't know mb_90. Thanks for the info.

Congrats to Hamilton for beating Saskatchewan today! The universe is unfolding as it should! :smiley:

Oh pahleez Lions, don't come out flat tonight. My wife and I will be at the game.

Casey, please behave yourself and don't do anything dumb. You played a fabulous game last week except for that one brain fart. I really want to see you and the Lions take it to Calgary. They are cocky and they are not as good as they think they are.

Awesome game by the Ti Cats tonday helps a lot. Boosts our chances of a home playoff to 30%. Now we need to win tonight.

This topic is over now… how about just making the playoffs. Man am I ******. This is a great place to vent though! :thup:

yes, no chance at home semi final anymore.