American RB Butler planning to sign with Tiger-Cats

American RB Butler planning to sign with Tiger-Cats

2 Likes

Awesome news. We need a good young RB to balance the attack.
He appears to be a decent reciever as well; wonder how his blocking ability is? Our Oline is going to need all the help they can get.

Butler will be 28 when the season starts...not that young. He is a good blocker.
But so was Wes Hills who we are letting go.

2 Likes

As a receiver , Hills doesnā€™t have great hands . Butler had 53 catches for 384 yards and 4 TDs . He was also a 1000 yard rusher . Heā€™s the real deal .

6 Likes

Hills caught 11 of 14 passes and averaged 10 yards per catch. He may never be Christian McCaffrey but he showed fine.

2 Likes

Iā€™d loved to see Hills back with the Cats but Butler is an improvement and a break away back . A 1000 yard back will help us . If we didnā€™t sign him then some would be whining that we ignored a 3 dimensional back for a 2 .

4 Likes

Our expected new RB is lookin' good:

7 Likes

Naperville Illinois is a hotbed of high school football in the states . When I scroll through NCAA rosters , Naperville comes up a lot . Hereā€™s some pros from Naperville : * Cameron Brate, tight end for Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2 Likes

Must be frustrating for the RBs, who typically have several times as many touches as the receivers and take a much worse beating, resulting in shorter careers.

But it comes down to supply and demand, with teams really needing just one or two good RBs on their roster and a near-infinite pool to choose from.

3 Likes

Considering Condellā€™s disinterest in running the football, heā€™d better learn to catch the ball more oftenā€¦

1 Like

BLM always had really good running backs lined up behind him and Dickenson ran a really balanced offence.

Perhaps he requested a similar philosophy during his initial conversations with Condell.

As a result I donā€™t think the Cats brought Butler here just for pass protection. I expect to see for the first time in many years a really dynamic running game with the Catā€™s offence this year.

3 Likes

The video shows Butler running the route tree in Naperville . Heā€™s a complete RB . :+1:

1 Like

I certainly hope notā€¦It would be another example of a waste of talent too satisfy the whims of the favoured ā€œphilosophyā€ of our current OCā€¦

1 Like

I'm hoping that BLM will have a big influence on how the offence is run this year.

He has the experience to collaborate with Condell to create a balanced attack that can't be read like yesterday's mail when a run or pass is coming.

The lack of a run attack late last season was unfathomable. It was there with Hills and an improved O-line.

BLM and Butler - big expectations for synergy between these two for me this year.

2 Likes

agree with you on butler. iā€™d like to see a back who can score from 70 yards out. hills wouldnā€™t be able to do it. last i recall a ticat doing that was jesse lumsden doing it twice in one game, at home on his birthday ā€¦ oh wait, thigpen did it too! anyone else?

3 Likes

Do we know for sure that Wes Hill is not coming back to Hamilton? I know Sean Thomas Erlington is coming back, Supposedly Butler is coming, I would think we would need a 3rd RB, or maybe they will use Wes Hill as FB! I really liked the way Hill ran the ball,he ran hard, it would suck to see him go.

1 Like

Wes Hills is looking at some offers from the US.. He hasnt officially signed with Ottawa yet

1 Like