American city's in CFL

I know Everybody will disagree, but i think it wouldn't be to bad of an idea getting American city's back in the CFL. I bet they would hold there own. all you really need is 22-30thousand followers comming to the games! It would make more teams and get the CFL More on the map if you will! And perhaps raise the salary cap, so that people will want to come play in the CFL, Vs sitting on the NFL Practise squad! I do know the C in CFL stands for CANADIAN! But why cant there be American teams, but they clearly must follow the Canadian football rules!? How come the American teams folded from the he 90's was there not enough support?

Why can't there be Canadian team's in the NFL?Why must we always bend for them?They don't want to let us in their league so we let them in ours?? pfft.They can take their league and stick it where the sun don't shine.

A number of problems emerged after American-based teams joined the CFL in the mid-1990s:

1. The Baltimore Stallions franchise, the most successful American-based CFL team on and off the field, had to leave town after the NFL allowed the Cleveland Browns franchise to move to Baltimore. The loss of this flagship American CFL franchise damaged the CFL product in the United States. The good news, however, is that the team moved to Montreal and has had a very successful 14 year run under the Alouette banner.

2. The support for the other American-based CFL teams was, for the most part, mediocre;

3. The CFL did not have the financial resources to promote the CFL in America and to help sustain the American-based CFL teams over the long term even though the U.S. expansion fees initially helped to keep the CFL alive in the mid-1990s;

4. The American-based CFL teams could not and did not adopt the import/non-import player quotas used by the Canadian-based teams resulting in an rather uneven playing field in terms of player content;

5. Some American owners and general managers wanted the CFL to change the field size and other rules to more closely resemble American football.

Due to the factors noted above, it would be a mistake the attempt to add American-based CFL teams that was made in the mid-1990s. Also, Lord Grey's original intention was that Canadian teams should play for the Grey Cup and, in my view, that tradition (with the exception of the 1995 Grey Cup winning Baltimore Stallions) should continue. At most, perhaps the CFL could explore whether there is any interest in the formation of a parallel American league with CFL rules and its own championship trophy, a possible partial interlocking schedule with the CFL, and playing the Canadian-based Grey Cup winning team for a North American championship. However, given the track record of U.S. pro football leagues other than the NFL over the past two or three decades, such a league is probably not sustainable over the long term.

That's why it's called Canadian Football League. We are different and I like it that way.

It's CANADIAN Professional Football.

Sorry BUT saying that the American teams had an advantage because they only had Americans on their teams IS a perpetual Myth, the American teams that did well in the standings employed Proven CFL QB,s .(Dunnigan, Allen, etc Thats the only reason American teams had a statistical edg and that was slite at best.

I agree, there is no advantage to being an American player other than some earlier exposure and training at the school level. All else is myth, frankly I like the CFL just the way it is. Exciting Football!
I would much rather see some expantion in Canada as mentioned on some earlier threads.
Doc 8)

Maybe add in one when/if Ottawa gets a team, so there are 10 teams, but that would be my third choice as a place for a 10th team after Quebec city and Halifax

I think that would be kind of cool to have 2 leagues and then play for North American championship.
Only problem is whether a league south of the border could last.
Still good job thinking outside the box.

And let's not forget the 50-60 or so solid CFL fans in Baltimore who still cheer on the CFL usually at Chip's house... Many of them solid TICAT supporters, although many followed their team loyalty to Montreal.
HI GUYS :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

PJAY

While it cannot be argued that Canadian players do not work as hard as American players in the CFL and compete well with them each year on CFL fields across Canada, an American-based CFL team had a number of advantages over a Canadian-based CFL team in the mid-1990s and would have them again if American teams were re-admitted into the league:

1. Although the gap has closed somewhat over the past decade or two, American players generally receive more thorough and intense training than most Canadian players;

2. An American-based team has a much deeper talent pool of Americans to choose from at every position while the Canadian-based team must find at least seven non-import starters from a smaller Canadian talent pool;

3. The depth of the American talent pool makes it easier to replace an injured starter. The Canadian-based team has more of a challenge when a injured non-import starter has to be replaced by a another non-import (if there is one of similar quality) or the team has to shift its starting lineup so they can start a non-import at another position.

The main advantage that a Canadian-based CFL team had over American-based teams is that it does take some time for most American players to acclimatize themselves with the CFL. In any event, this did not prevent the Baltimore Stallions from being a dominant CFL team in its first and only two years in the CFL (1994 and 1995). It would have been interesting to see whether the "slight statistical advantage" of the American-based CFL teams would have widened over time but that era ended almost fifteen years ago and the CFL should now focus on its Canadian expansion plans. If the CFL succeeds at becoming a ten team league over the next five to ten years, maybe they can then look at the feasibility of some type of association with an American CFL league.

Just like the AHL is the AMERICAN Hockey League. No Canadian teams right?

Well, the big reason why not, is besides ruining the Canadian aspect which has made the CFL appealing to us Canadians, it's also a case that unless these teams are in cities that don't have existing NFL franchises, they will have a dramatic drop in attendance once the NFL season starts up.

Any US expansion is foolhardy and I would much rather see teams in Ottawa, Quebec City, an East Coast Team and Saskatoon to bring us up to a twelve member league with four divisions. Quebec/East, Ontario, Central and West divisions.

Also, Lord Grey's original intention was that Canadian teams should play for the Grey Cup
Technically, his intention was for it to be a trophy for Canadian [u]amateur[/u] teams.

In principle, I'm not opposed to CFL teams in the US. Even though it didn't pan out, I was optimistic about the earlier southern expansion.

Right now, though, I feel like the focus should be on making sure all teams are on solid foundations in terms of popularity, playing, and finances. It wasn't that long ago that the Tiger-Cats and the Argos were going through serious financial problems. Things have definitely gotten a lot better for the Cats since Bob Young bought the team, and they are still improving. But my impression is that even though they are still improving the team is not out of the woods yet. The Argonauts don't seem be doing well both on and off the field. And although things are looking good for the return of the CFL to Ottawa, it's still not there.

As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I feel like Ontario's interest in CFL drops off significantly once you leave the host cities. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm just not seeing the signs. But if I'm right, I feel like Ontario's teams should be marketing themselves more outside of Toronto and Hamilton (and Ottawa when the team gets back there). CFL is almost invisible here in Kingston, and judging by what I read in another thread, the case is not much better in London. I can't be the only one who thinks that the lack of visibility in London represents a missed opportunity. If there are no intentions of putting a team there, at least try to get fans from there (whether the league as a whole would do this, or the individual teams is another matter). The same goes for many other locations.

Before the league ventures south again, I'd like to see a tenth Canadian team, preferably in one of the Atlantic provinces. I hear a lot of talk about it, but I don't know how close that is to reality. The closest we've come to it is some exhibition games (which have done well). For the first time (as far as I know) there will be a regular season Touchdown Atlantic game in Moncton next year. Perhaps it's all talk, with just enough teaser games to keep Atlantic Canadians interested enough to keep watching on TSN. But there are quite a lot more people in the Maritime provinces than in either of the much larger provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and teams in these latter two provinces appear to be doing well. There's a lot of potential there, but perhaps not enough interest yet. If I were the CFL, I'd be looking for ways to get people interested, other than at most a game a year (this is not to say that they're not. I'm just not aware that they are).

Quebec City also has a large enough population to support a team, but I haven't heard much talk about actually getting one there.

Overall, things seem to be doing well and getting better for the CFL, and maybe expansion in the US will some day be in the cards. For now, though, I think there are lots of places in the country that the league is named after where expansion efforts would be better directed.

[I'm sure most of what I've said has been said before. But not by me, so what the hey, eh?]

Additionally to my last post, the Grey Cup was originally meant to be a hockey trophy from Earl Grey, but Sir H. Montague Allan beat him to it with the Allan Cup........so Earl Grey decided on amateur football instead.........the trophy itself (the original and not the replica we all see) was made by Birks Jewellers

I whole heartily agree with this post, really I'm surprised we don't have a pre-season game in London at TD Waterhouse, and that we aren't doing much to attract St. Catherines either. Also in Toronto, the radio stations seriously need to start giving the Argos a little love, I mean 102.1 alls you need to do is say. "Oh yeah and the Argos are playing tonight. It should be interesting."

Instead of flogging a dead horse (CFL Franchises in the US) Which is a lot like Bettman wanting to keep the losing NHL franchises in the southern US.
Why don't we try and develop other opportunities in London Ont. or Football mad Quebec where there are more players per capita than anywhere else in Canada, and the eastern Provinces Nova Scotia New Brunswick and PEI.
And lets not forget our nations Capital.

If the CFL wants to expand to the US in the future, it has to look at the smaller cities, nearer the Canadian border! The CFL is a summer league, kinda hard to flog that down south where it's summer most of the season! California, Nevada, Tennessee and Texas were not real buyers of what the CFL was selling! It would also start border battles with rival cities just across the border, like the BC Lions vs Vancouver (Washington) ??????????s! If there was another idea of US expansion, look nearer than farther, then maybe it would have a better chance of survival!

As much as some people object to adding American teams... I am all for it.

The AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE has teams in Abbotsford, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Toronto. Those are all Canadian cities. So there's no reason to shut American teams out of the CFL.

HOWEVER...

In my opinion the only way for it to work would be...

• An American owner has to approach the CFL. NOT the CFL going out and fishing for American owners.

• The content rule has to be changed. American teams obviously could not be forced to carry Canadian players. I think that the number of Canadians starting on CFL teams should be lowered. Canadian Amateur Football is light years behind our American counter parts so the talent level is really different. A player coming out of a school like Wake Forrest (which isn't a top America team) has had WAY MORE training and better facilities than a player coming out of Laval. So... Lower the number of Non-Import starters on Canadian teams and for the American teams... rather than Canadians they'd have to start a certain number of 1st year players. Tit-for-tat.

• Make sure any potential American team owners would have to have a long term business plan set in place. No one and done BS.

I'm no economics or Sports Authority expert but my choice for cities would be...

• Rochester, NY
  • Somewhere in North Dakota
  • Somewhere in Montana
  • Windsor/Detroit