American CFL teams

Does anyone know what American CFL teams there were and what they were called? Why did they all fold at the same time?

Try this - see if it helps.

[url=http://www.birminghamprosports.com/birminghambarracudashistory.htm]http://www.birminghamprosports.com/birm ... istory.htm[/url]

Try this. It'll be a little better

http://www.oursportscentral.com/cflinamerica/

I like this site

http://www.geocities.com/cflhistory/Teams/index.htm

Baltimore Stallions
Birmingham Barracudas
Memphis Mad Dogs
Las Vegas Posse
Sacramento Gold Miners
San Antonio Texans
Shreveport Pirates

Hope this helps!!!

Baltimore actually won some GCs. And it was cool having the "US vs. THEM"

Im pretty sure this topic is getting viewed a lot because (like me at first) people missunderstood the title and thought it was about another US expansion

Hello, "He's pining for the fjords!",

I'll tell you right here :wink:

In 1993, the Sacramento Gold Miners came into the league.

In 1994, the Las Vegas Posse, Shreveport Pirates and Baltimore CFL Colts/CFL football club/CFLers came into the league.

In 1995, the Gold Miners moved to San Antonio and became the Texans; Las Vegas went belly-up; and the Birmingham Barracudas and Memphis Mad Dogs joined the League. By this point, the Baltimore team was known as the Stallions.

In 1996, Birmingham and Memphis were so deep in debt that the teams folded; the Pirates tried to move to Norfolk, but couldn't, and folded; and the Stallions were squeezed out of Baltimore by the arrival of the ex-Cleveland Browns. This left the Texans all by themselves, and so they folded too. Actually, the Stallions relocated from Baltimore to Montreal - they didn't fold.

The Gold Miners were supposed to be joined by a (different) team in San Antonio (also called the Texans, conveniently) but their owner ran out of money and was forced to withdraw from the League before the season started.

The Las Vegas team had plans to ressurrect as the Miami Manatees for 1996, but when all the other American teams bailed out, that fell through.

Baltimore originally called their team the CFL Colts, but the NFL sued them over the use of the name "Colts" and won (not surprisingly). So Baltimore had no name, really, for 1994. The name "Stallions" was chosen by fans before the 1995 season.

Baltimore was, by far, the most successful American team (averaged over 30,000 fans each season, lost the Grey Cup game in 1994, and won it in 1995), and Las Vegas was the least successful (brutally low attendance, and had to have their final home game moved to Edmonton).

Hope that helps!

I Wonder Why That No Team Has Ever Survived In Las Vagas, It Seems To Be The Most Popular Spot For New Leagues, The XFL And USFL Both Chose To Put A Team There As Well As The CFL. So Then Why Is It That Every League Trys To Put A Team There Yet None Of Them Survive.

I Guess The XFL Was Doomed From The Start, But LV Had An AFL Team For A Number Of Years And Best I Know It's Been Pretty Sucessful So Why Hasn't It Worked For Any Other League?

And Why Didn't The CFL Expand To Portland? That Seems Like A Wiser Choice Then Say Putting A Team In Southern Califoria Or The Deep South. And Why Wouldn't The Oweners Of The Stallions Have Moved The Team To Clevland To Replace The Browns? That Seems Like It Would've Been A Smarter Dicision. Am I Crazy, Or Doesn't That Make More Sense? (I Know By Asking If I'm Crazy Leaves Me Open To Ribbing From 3rd And 10, But Doesn't That Make More Sense?)

I can't believe anyone from the WWF thought that the XFL would be anything but a flop

I don't thing L.V. is a good place to play any physcial sport in the middle of summer the last time i was down there it was 110 at midnite

The thing about Las Vegas is that there is SOOOO much else to do ... an unestablished sports team has no chance against all the other entertainment options out there.

I agree that putting teams in the Northern US makes a lot more sense than putting them in, say, Shreveport, Memphis or Birmingham ...

Actually, didn't the Las Vegas Gladiators move from New Jersey this past season? I don't think they've always had an AFL franchise there. I do remember them having an IHL team there (the Thunder?) before the league went belly up and the surviving teams taken over by the AHL.