American Based Teams & The Ratio

The 1990s US expansion featured teams with all-American rosters. My understanding is that the ratio didn’t jive with US labour law.

If US teams were ever added again, (perhaps judiciously in mid sized northern US markets without major NFL or NCAA programs) could the CFL perhaps impose a regional ratio instead to promote parity with the Canadian teams?

That is that US clubs would have a portion of their roster (equal in size to that of the “national player” contingent of Canadian clubs) drawn exclusively from a regional catchment area. This catchment area would perhaps be based on population rather than a strict physical geographic radius.

Anyone have insights whether this would be legal in the US? if it were kosher, it would probably only be fair if the CFL stuck to northern states. The calibre and quantity of players in the south would provide an unfair advantage to southern based teams.

A US Labour Law expert would be needed to answer that … but I have my doubts … and not certain why the CFL should even consider US expansion … last time it was a Hail Mary born out of financial desperation … besides, most cities worth considering would have a NCAA program(s) that will take all the attention once mid-August arrives and those programs start practice.

That was a suggestion that crossed my mind as well at the time. I can’t see why a “local content” regulation would run afoul of U.S. labour law.

:-\

As someone has said the US. CFL expansion. Was do to financial needs of expansionfees. It was a short term solution. At a time the CFL was bleeding money.

The only two teams during that period that had a solid fanbase. Were Baltimore & SanAntonio.

Incidentally. The both played in venues that were able to have proper CFL Dimension.

Baltimore. After losing the Colts & the Orioles moved outa memorial stadium to Camden Yards.
Gota give the ole Baltimore Stallions credit.
Since. Nfl & Mlb moved outa the stadium. They took the time. Effort. Financial.
To make memorial stadium have proper CFL dimenesions.
They removed the OF bleacher seating. Which enabled them to expand the Stadium to Cfl dimentions.
Still leaving the stadium a capicity of over 30 k plus. & the fans filled all those seats.

San Antonio & the Alamodome is very unique. As the venue was built to be able to be adjusted for just about any sport. Incuding a CFL field dimensions.
San Antonio as well. Has played as host to several non NFL football leagues.
& in each case sustained a solid attendence and fan base.
They hosted a few saints games. After Hurricane Katrina. With great success & awesome attendance. Even tho they knew it was only a temp situation.

I have no expertise in US Labor Laws. Nor do I think the CFL should try to expand to the US again.
But the one loophole I culd see wuld be if a team was owned and had its base in Canada. Prolly having to practice there as well for at least half the time.
Than play its home games across the border in the US.
I wuld guess a CFl team playing its games in San Antonio in the. Alomo Dome wuld again be successful again.
And although its location is way down south near mexico.
It is the same as or closer to the eastern cities of Ottawa. Montreal. Toronto Hamilton. As it is to travel to BC easily. & not far off to Alberta & Sask

St Louis also " Could " be like San Antonio. A city in search of its own pro football team.
The Edward Jones Dome. Now called the Dome at Americas Center. Is a perfectly modern enuff venue to host any Major events.
For the CFL. It would have to remove some seating. Especially in the Endzone to accomodate a CFL team.
Plus it is even closer to all of the CFL cities than San Antonio. Plus closer by far for any eastern team to BC.

But its nice to dream about if it could be done with CFL Canadian Ratio Rules.

Let the XFL. Experiment in St Louis be the ginny big.

Wats sad is that these are two modern type dome venues that have pro capacities. With no pro football team. And really two pro sports cities that have Alot of room pro franchise wise and population to support it
San Antonio only has the NBA. While St. Louis only has. Nhl & MLB.

On an unrelated note. Im surpised that St Louis. Hasent hosted an NCAA Bowl game in the Dome. There are a ton of NCAA DI teams in several conferances that are in close proximety to St Louis

@Cflsteve0773

There is an edit feature that allows you to add text to a post later. It seems you’re just trying to up your post count rather than voice opinions.

CFLSteve0773:
Your periods. At odd places. Make your posts. Unreadable.

Not a lawyer, but my career was quasi-legal, responsible for the administration and interpretative policy for a particular piece of legislation … unlike special event tours by sports teams (e.g., Manchester United) players would be specifically employed to play games in the US … I expect US laws would apply … also, from a practical perspective, it would add a lot of costs.

Didn’t the recent AAF have regional rules. Teams within a certain region would have first opportunity to sign player from that region.

I don’t think US expansion is required. But down the road if looked at, I believe there is only one option if looking at a city that is not in the vicinity of an NFL team and/or NCAA team. That’s Anchorage Alaska.

Everywhere else has either a NCAA/NFL team.

I like this idea. If it would satisfy American labor laws then I’d say let’s look at expansion south of the border. I’ve always been a fan of growing the CFL regardless of where. This time there is no sense of desperation to get a cash infusion for the league. I’m not saying do it like before and add a bunch of new teams but why not look at say 2 cities where conditions are right? I think 2 US cities coming in at once is enough to start with. Of course I’d like to see more Canadian teams as well but let’s face it, getting stadiums built is an issue that’s not getting solved anytime soon. Hopefully Halifax will accomplish this.

We’ve watched numerous football leagues pop up and fail in the US. Why would a CFL expansion team be any different?

First chance is different from limiting the number of players that can be signed from outside a designated region.

Exactly … Mexico would make more sense … still not much (IMO) but more.

Hmmmmm. Alaska you say? Alaskans might have no objection to being honourary Canadians since they’re well removed from the lower 48 but right next door to Canada. And Anchorage I see has almost 300,000 people…

:-\

Are people in Anchorage already on the receiving end of CBC or CTV television signals (meaning they’re already acclimatized to Canadian television)?

???

I like this idea. If it would satisfy American labor laws then I’d say let’s look at expansion south of the border. I’ve always been a fan of growing the CFL regardless of where. This time there is no sense of desperation to get a cash infusion for the league. I’m not saying do it like before and add a bunch of new teams but why not look at say 2 cities where conditions are right? I think 2 US cities coming in at once is enough to start with. Of course I’d like to see more Canadian teams as well but let’s face it, getting stadiums built is an issue that’s not getting solved anytime soon. Hopefully Halifax will accomplish this.

I really have no interest in having American based teams again but ask if this proposal would not solve the issue. As I understand American labour laws, you can’t hire a Non-American unless there are no Americans equally qualified. That is why some Canadians are employed On NFL, NHL MLB teams. They have gone through a vetting process (training camps) and proved they they are better “qualified”. So here is the solution, let any American team have all American players when they play in the USA but when they play in Canada they would have to abide by the Canadian ratio (In Canada they should not be subject to American labour laws… Subject them to the same salary cap so they could not afford a Home team and an Away team. The American teams could then rightfully say the Canadian is more qualified than the American (for the number of players required to make the ration when playing in Canada)as the American players could not fulfill the ratio requirements. Would this work?

1 Like

That may very well be very different from mandating where employees/players come from … even within the US.