Ambrosie's Stamp on the CFL

I am not completely clear on what the intent of this is, although it does seem like it could be a positive. I assume by the wording that a coach questioning a call can now speak to an official via headset rather than calling a ref over. Are there any other uses this is intended for that you are aware of?

Especially the Riders & Tiger-Cats.

2 Likes

Good point on defense Mr. Cats. I thoroughly enjoy a hard-fought defensive game. Same as a pitcherā€™s duel ballgame.

We live in an era of instant gratification. Experiences that are truly gratifying are rarely instant.

Itā€™s CFL football, not pinball.

1 Like

Jonā€™s main point was that people who refuse to change with the times often get left behind. If people think the Grey Cup can only be in November no matter what the situation is then the league could fail at some point. Say for example one day MLB expands to 60 teams a hundred years down the road and has 40 teams in the playoffs. If the playoffs ended in the later part of November then the CFL with itā€™s 9 team league might want to avoid that situation.

1 Like

Labour Day & Banjo Bowl, here we come :grinning:.

Must thank Sir. Westwood of Troy for amping that up

1 Like

Yeah, and dude was from Saskie, to boot. Traitor!

I believe he was born in Dauphin Mb, though had family (Grandmother) in Saskatchewan.

2 Likes

I think you have it correct here, but weā€™ll see. It is a positive, but I think it will only speed up a half-dozen or so plays per game. I mean, Iā€™ll take that. But an adjustment to the clock (either reducing the play clock or speeding up when it starts) would positively affect every play.

https://www.salmaiorana.com/posts/jack-morris-10-innings-game-7-1991-world-series-wow

2 Likes

The Majors wonā€™t expand beyond 32 teams if they get there.

Having the Grey Cup in October wonā€™t necessarily be a good thing if baseball is willing to play into November and the MLS does go into December.

If those two leagus can have playoffs in November and the NFL in January, I am sure the CFL will do just fine in November.

1 Like

The one month in the year the CFL owns in Canada and people want to lose that .

1 Like

All because they canā€™t sit in the cold weather for one night.

Thatā€™s more disrespectful for the players for not showing up to support them IMHO.

Theyā€™re willing to play in the elements for our entertainment itā€™s the least we can do for the players.

Iā€™m sure the original 6 NHL fans didnā€™t think the NHL would expand beyond 20 teams. No one knows what the future holds.

1 Like

There used to be someone who knew what the future held.

https://youtu.be/DNy0TElah18

Carnac the magnificent.

2 Likes

Everyone seems to put a lot on last years season, which was just weird. Less travel by fans, viewership numbers were wonky because they changed how they measure them (and everybody's ratings fell) Along with all the people who were still terrified by Covid who avoided crowds etc.

This season - I see more parity, a smoother start to the season, better football because we have training camps, all the weak sisters have improved every which way, and we have guys like Victor Cui who understand marketing and are making a difference there.

As for the rule changes - we keep trying to make the game faster and more exciting. Adjusting rules has always been part of the game and we have made a lot of changes that the NFL has adopted so we can't be moving in the wrong direction with changes.

All I would like to see change is a single off field video replay official. Use the indexed system the Australian Rugby league uses (links all camera replays so you can find what you want and just switch camera views which all show the same moment) and let the review happen between the head ref an the video ref using the stadium video display. Usually the video official finds the right camera and then he and the ref step through the action. It takes seconds instead of minutes and is totally transparent for the fans about the decision they made.

1 Like

And why are the Argos and Ticats playing 4 times in 5 weeks? There is not enough money in the coffers for a home and home with every team?

1 Like

And when they expanded the NHL they went south - the next Six teams were all added south of the border in 1967 - because that is where the money is at -

3 Likes

heh :wink:

Yup, my bad