Ambrosie does something!

Yes. I mean a special bundle of CFL games broadcast from the bubble available on top of your regular cable subscription. TSN gains some revenue and the league gets a broadcaster. Its not going to be the same as a normal season but its something everyone can get behind and move forward with an actual season rather than a second year of nothing.

This discussion is absurd. Bell is not giving up its exclusivity for CFL content to anyone, and it is not going to suddenly decide that getting into the PPV game will bring it as much or more money than it gets from broadcasting 86 games on cable. The PPV idea is, as I have said more than once, wishful thinking by fans who want to come up with helpful ideas. Laudable desire, but floating PPV as a potential option is not a helpful (or realistic) idea.

4 Likes

But arenā€™t the CFL games already broadcasted by TSN? I mean, I get to watch all the CFL games on TSN on my already purchased cable subscription.

What games are going to be in the special bundle, unless you are talking about taking games away from the already paying cable subscribers.

2 Likes

Not taking games away just trying to get additional monies to the CFL if we cant have bums in the seats

But hereā€™s the rub ā€“ if you pay for TSN now, your regular cable subscription currently includes all CFL games. Yes, removing some and making viewers pay extra for them might lead some fans to do so for the good of the league. But it also might drive some cable subscribers to cancel their now-devalued TSN package altogether. Why would Bell be willing to chance the latter given the likelihood that the number of cable subs willing to pay more for the good of the league would be low?

3 Likes

I completely agree with that. 100%.

But it makes more sense to get those additional monies to the CFL through the CFL, not through TSN.

1 Like

This.

Exactly this.

Oh, so leave all games on TSN AND charge people as well to watch them on PPV? There will be massive signup for that PPV option, Iā€™m sure.

2 Likes

OK I am going to go have a beer now

2 Likes

Here's another great idea. Once season ticket holders pay for their seats, the teams can sell them again to different people. Hopefully the season ticket holders won't mind if they are not allowed to sit down. It's extra revenue for the league, after all. And if they really love their seats so much, they are free to pay for them a second time.

4 Likes

Sports is the reason cable subscriptions are what they are. Full stop. Without sports the cords are long cut.

And to those advocating this, how many subscriptions do you actually think the CFL can get? Not sure how low you guys realize how low this number is.

1 Like

:sunglasses: Here, Here, what another great idea from you ExPat !! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
As I mentioned to you a couple of days ago, I think you should be the CFL Commish.

Heck I have seasons tickets and also pay the top buck for my TSN package, so I wouldnā€™t mind paying even more for your suggestion !! LOL :stuck_out_tongue: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

We got an additional smart TV with no cable hook-up, and Iā€™ve been surprised at how much Iā€™ve been able to watch for free. My kid already had an Amazon Prime account that allowed us to see the Borat movie. The nightly talk shows post most of their content on Youtube before it even airs. Networks were streaming live election coverage a few weeks ago. And Netflix gets better all the time.

My wife works at an internet provider.

They are aren't dumb.

For those who think they are smart by "cutting the cord", you should see the 1, 3 and 5 year internet connection cost forecasts.

In 3 years you'll be paying minimum $200 / month for internet connection. As long as the suppliers of internet connection are the same as cable providers, they don't care about "cutting the cord" users. In fact, internet speeds are more controllable, and to my understanding, they'd rather control costs through internet speeds vs cable packages.

Until you can cut the cord and generate your own internet speeds, (which of course you can't), you'll never be able to "cut the cord".

1 Like

I say we try it and see what happens. :grinning:

1 Like

Just offer to let people buy game tickets to closed games. Money goes straight to the teams, no need for TSN to be involved. Some people may be willing to pay 1/4 or 1/2 price for tickets to closed games just to show support for the team.

Yes. You would have to subscribe to the package to see CFL games for this recovery season. Many fans wont be going to the stadium and the savings could be diverted to watching at home on PPV and still be supporting Canadian football.

why dont they just have a telethon?

and maybe a huge 50/50

and a lotto

How about every one pays for 1/2 price seasons tickets, and lucky winners actually get to go to the games.

:slight_smile:

I see. This idea would make the most sense, as it allows those that want to watch the CFL to do so on this special extra paid station/package (as well as with live CFL games being blacked out on the main channel).

This way, those that subscribe to TSN to watch other sports/leagues (in other words, have absolutely no interest in the CFL) will be able to do so without any problems.

Seriously?

#1 is (really) the only effective answer
I donā€™t care what anyone says, if you walk 6 (or more) feet apart from someone outside you arenā€™t catching it period. With or without a mask (and yes lots of outdoor areas mandate masks; in Toronto we had Wonderland, the Zoo, the Distillery District etc)

Nearly everything I have read shows surface transmission is (nearly) impossible, so the touching face or other surfaces really do not amount to much. Washing hands is always good practise (its laughable how many people still use washrooms even and do not, esp disturbing at a restaurant!)

Masks. sighs
Unless you are using a medical grade N95 mask you really are not doing much. To the contrary based on personal observation I see too many people ignoring distancing rules because they feel a cloth mask is a piece of armour to protect them. I think mask bylaws have INCREASED Covid counts as too many people are feeling safer while wearing said mask (versus say back in March / April when pedestrians would literally cross the road so as to maintain distance while walking)
Even an N95 grade mask is NOT foolproof (as witnessed by infections; donā€™t know which province you are in, but in ON reports they show 15% of cases are workers from old age homes & 10% are hospital staff - and you know they ALWAYS masked)

Tam finally acknowledged a better mask offers more protection than a basic mask at least (eg multiple layers, use a filter)