ALS

What a class act the Als and AC are. And GREAT for the fans of Montreal. Its just shows how that all fans support there team with great PRIDE. Its just sad that most of the attention through the media has been the Pee Wee Football mistake the riders did.Other then the never quit never give up comeback by the Als. After what AC and his family have been through. And the heartbreak lose in Past Grey Cups. Congrads to the Als and there fans a NEW NATION HAS STARTED .

Being an Als fan, I was ecstatic that they won it all but I most of all, I was happy for guys like Cavillo and Cahoon. Two gentlemen who exemplify perseverance and sportsmanship.

The reason for it, is because in reality, the Riders should have won that game! a penalty cost them the win..

...considering that 90% of what you write about is anti-rider sentiments I guess I shouldn't be surprized by this statement, but seriously you cannot deny that the way in which this game ended was unusual and shocking, and therefore newsworthy and the subject of almost every water cooler discussion afterwards....i don't see this as disrespect of the Alouette's victory....

ya the Alouettes came out in Typical Alouette style and came back, won the game!

bottom line though is they won cause they were given a 2nd chance. a simple error away from going home empty handed!

but it was meant to go as it did.

I'm happiest of all for someone who has ALS(what I actually thought this thread was about)
Tony Proudfoot...
Let's face fact... by this time next year he probablly will not be around or so close to death that he would not comprehend a ALS Grey Cup victory.

At the parade in Montreal, Tony Proudfoot was actually introduced on the stage along with all the players. I though it was a pretty classy gesture.

Cup caps a season of hard work
Former player says coach got team to work together, be responsible for each other

By TONY PROUDFOOT, Special to The Gazette December 6, 2009
StoryPhotos ( 1 )
"I loved being part of the ride to the Cup, really more of an observer than anything else," says former Alouettes great Tony Proudfoot, waving to fans during the Grey Cup victory parade last week.
Photograph by: JOHN MAHONEY, THE GAZETTE, Special to The GazetteEditor's note: Tony Proudfoot played 12 years as a defensive back in the Canadian Football League, including nine with the Alouettes, winning two Grey Cups. He continues to battle amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) - better known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Last February, Alouettes coach Marc Trestman asked me for my thoughts on the upcoming CFL season. He was interested in how I saw the development of his Alouette team after their first year with him as coach. His request hooked me, and I was determined to stay connected to the coach and his team through 2009, knowing it could be a special year.

I relished training camp this year as an adviser, observing and listening to what was happening, primarily on the defensive side of the ball. Marc asked for regular feedback, to have a better sense of how the defence was developing. The serious fan will remember the 2008 season as one where the defence never quite gelled, suffering through an inconsistent season. On the other hand, Anthony Calvillo and the offence rolled through that season, with the head coach explicitly understanding the strengths of his quarterback, punctuated with AC snagging the league MVP trophy.

As training camp unfolded, I noticed a difference in the dynamic between the defensive players and their coaches. Tim Burke was in his second year as co-ordinator, as was Mike Sinclair as defensive-line coach. Tim Tibesar was new to the team and the Canadian game, but he had spent considerable time with coach Burke in the offseason and was completely familiar with the schemes and adjustments of the defence.

I saw a vast improvement in the level of understanding through each stage of progression throughout training camp. Everybody looked to be on the same page, with the veterans helping rookies. Together, they were making the appropriate progress and fine-tuning.

There were four significant personnel changes, with Jared Brown and Billy Parker singled out early to be the front-runner defensive halfbacks. Shea Emry and Chip Cox were moved to middle linebacker and strong-side linebacker, respectively, and from Day 1 never looked back. In retrospect, these moves proved to be inspired, with all four playing well throughout the long, gruelling season, with Cox even exhibiting abilities worthy of defensive player-of-the-year consideration.

The other phenomenon that emerged from the first day of training camp - and the most important change over the previous year - was the emergence of leadership throughout the team. The commitment the players made to each other was an integral and essential component of success and a wide variety of players demonstrated that leadership role on the team. They understood and, more importantly, accepted that they were accountable to both their own high standards and those of their teammates.

There is no doubt this evolution I observed, beginning in training camp and snowballing throughout the season, was a consequence of the way coach Trestman identified with the players. He fully expected them to rise to the challenge, work hard to improve, and be responsible for their actions and accountable to each of their teammates. The players bought into his philosophy and many made significant efforts in the offseason to prepare mentally and physically.

Anwar Stewart is no spring chicken, yet he was the most energetic and lively defensive lineman in camp, and it was not long before John Bowman and the rest of the unit were infected and they never looked back.

I loved being part of the ride to the Cup, really more of an observer than anything else, but as emotionally attached by the heart to this Alouette team as anyone. Trestman convinced me of the vision for this team and I bought into it from the first time I heard him speak, in December 2007. He has not said anything that I have disagreed with since. It was such a similar refrain Marv Levy sung to us in the 1970s, and one I knew would pay dividends if the players took it to heart. We didn't do too badly embracing it back then, and the boys did okay buying into it this year!

Knowing "our year" would happen, I wanted to be along for the ride and I'm truly grateful Marc and the players made me feel welcome, as a part of the team, at every step. I continued to email Marc regularly with my thoughts and observations on a wide variety of issues and, roaming the team bench during games, being in the locker room was special. My smile was continuous with the success the team was having.

I first pulled an Alouette player's jersey over my shoulder pads in 1971 and have been immensely proud of them and their tradition every minute since. I wished I was once again donning the colours last Sunday in Calgary.

The Alouettes were gracious enough to bring me to the Grey Cup game and I made sure to wear my lucky Alouettes tuque from the 1977 Grey Cup, the one I wore in 2002 in Edmonton.

Despite the ghosts of our 1975 Grey Cup game in Calgary hovering nearby, I knew my belief in this team, and its fate, combined with the players' immense heart and soul, would win out and triumph. Thank you Marc Trestman, Larry Smith and the entire Alouettes organization.

What a joy, what a storybook ending this has been for the team, the entire province and me. As a player, you never know when, or even if, a championship will happen again, so it was, with eyes wide open, that I loved the journey every step of the way.

I am still smiling and don't know for sure when I will stop!

Go Als go - again!

To learn more about the the Tony Proudfoot Fund and to make a donation, visit the website at sla-quebec.ca, then go to the link for the Tony Proudfoot Fund.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette