Als would have a better fan turnout at McGill for ESfinal

How is it possible for the Als to have 58,021 fans attend last season's EF, yet possibly have less than 30,000 for this years ESF?

That's a near 30,000 drop. :?

Would this have been markedly different if it was an EF?
Or is fan idifference due to the 10-8 record this season (which isn't bad at all)

I hope you are right re Lalonde doing a better job over the next couple of years. To me, there was very little advertising of the team in and around the city this season in comparison to years past. Not to mention the lack of merchandise in retail outlets outside the stadium.

Would this have been markedly different if it was an EF?
More than likely, yes. The core fans will support the team ESF or EF. Sadly the casual fan will not.

That is sad. And unfortunate for a twice straight championship team. :frowning:

Just think if the Habs won two consecutive Stanley Cups...They'd have to build another deck or two in the Bell Centre.

Habs will get their 21212 game in game out with continued support also from the business community. If they did win two consecutive Stanley cups, the ticket "brokers" would be doing a happy dance for years.

Habs will get their 21212 game in game out with continued support also from the business community. If they did win two consecutive Stanley cups, the ticket "brokers" would be doing a happy dance for years.

21,212 is the Bell Centre capacity? That's nearly as many who go to an Als home game and more than the number at an Argos home game.

And don't forget, the Habs have 41 home dates per season as compared to 9 home dates for football.

How many games have the Habs sold out consecutively now?

Believe that is the figure for a sellout at the Bell centre. As for consecutive sell outs, not certain but certainly the last few years.

incredible.
No doubt Montreal, Toronto and even Vancouver are mainly hockey towns.

Im not going for the reasons you mentioned and because the olympic stadium is an ugly, out of the way pit that I will not go to ever again. Montreal I find is to the alouettes what Denver is to the Avalanche. The avs had a massive sellout streak when they were consistently one of the top teams but as soon as the team fell off the fans left. This is kinda how things are here.

And the capacity for the bell centre is 21273. Ive heard that number announced at a habs game so many times that it is engrained in my head

Your feelings are probably share by many regulars at McGill. I mean it makes no sense for a platinum or gold season ticket holder who spends 3000.00 bucks on a pair of season ticket to be asked to go sit in a decrepit stadium that hasn't had any renovations done in 35 years (aside from multiple roof repairs) so that the owner can seat casual and rival fans. I suspect a lot of them probably say. i go to nine, ten games a year. i will watch that one on my 60 inch plasma screen instead of sitting five times as far as my usual seats kind of thing.

I was shocked last year when I saw they rolled out the old 80's carpet for a playing surface, at least in the first few years they had a safe surface for the players to play on. I remember hearing that the surface was offered at a discount to the team and they turned it down.

Weird paradox. The Als left the Big O and played in a decrepit McGill stadium, now that the government has spent 60 million dollars renovating it. The team moves its fan to the now decrepit Big O.

Does anyone know how ticket sales are going? Knowing the fickleness of Montreal football fans (and I use the term loosely), I would be very (but pleasantly) surprised to see a crowd of 50,000+.

This year, the Als have certainly had their problems, but real football fans support their team, fair weather or foul. Just look at the Candadiens - have they won any Lord Stanleys/goal-scoring titles/MOP/Vezinas recently...hmmm? Yet, 21,000+ every game.

I would be very (but pleasantly) surprised to see a crowd of 50,000+.
You and the Als!
Weird paradox. The Als left the Big O and played in a decrepit McGill stadium, now that the government has spent 60 million dollars renovating it. The team moves its fan to the now decrepit Big O.
The Province spent 60 million to renovate McGill?

For that price, they could have had a brand new stadium built.

http://www.gozips.com/athletics/facilities/InfoCision $61 mil [url=http://www.alasu.edu/multimedia/videos/stadium-fly-over/index.aspx]http://www.alasu.edu/multimedia/videos/ ... index.aspx[/url] $50 mil

BTW, aside from Al playoff games, what other events are at Olympic Stadium?

Or is the facility just a ghost town for the rest of the year?

They have Supermotocross, the odd soccer exibition game and a couple hundred trade shows.

No, you don't get a new stadium downtown Montreal for 60 million. You don't even get the land for that price.

Ce serait une étrange attitude.

Pour ma part, j’ai regardé la finale de l’Est l’an dernier de la toute dernière rangée du Stade Olympique (assez au centre, tout de même) et j’ai été agréablement surpris de cette vue d’ensemble du jeu : on voyait le jeu qui s’en venait avant qu’il ne se passe! J’étais moins loin que je ne l’aurais cru, et pourtant, j’étais à la Coupe Grey en 1977 (maudit qu’on gelait!) dans la même rangée (mais un peu moins au centre). Mon souvenir me faisait penser que j’étais beaucoup plus loin. J’ai été à la première partie de cette saison contre Winnipeg. J’avais des sièges dans la section T1 (Or) à la ligne de 2 des Alouettes. Je n’ai pas trouvé qu’on voyait aussi bien le jeu que dans la dernière rangée du Stade Olympique. Dès que le jeu est au milieu du terrain, on ne voit plus rien. C’était d’autant plus décevant que toute l’action de cette partie s’est déroulée à l’autre bout du terrain. Mais nous avons tout de même pris plaisir à prendre part à cette partie enlevante.

Ceci pour dire que lorsqu’on veut avoir du temps agréable, 80% de l’agrément ou du désagrément vient de nos propres dispositions, et de la façon dont on choisit d’aborder la situation. Félix Leclerc disait : “Le bonheur, c’est comme du sucre à la crème : si t’en veux, faut que tu t’en fasses.”

Alors si ça peut en faire réfléchir certains, n’hésitez pas à venir passer du bon temps au Stade Olympique ce dimanche! Faire partie de l’événement a son lot de plaisir aussi! Je serai encore loin dans les gradins cette année et très heureux d’y être!

À dimanche!

Is it because of this?

The allegations of rot have dripped out piecemeal for years, and now they’ve been confirmed by investigators in black-and-white: Organized crime’s grip on the Quebec construction industry has created a system of corruption and influence-peddling
[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/quebec-report-sheds-light-on-corruption-and-collusion/article2167403/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le2167403/[/url]

It is the same in most provinces, people are just not AWARE.