Als win 110th Grey Cup rematch over Bombers

WINNIPEG — Receiver Tyson Philpot scored twice to helped his Montreal Alouettes defeat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Princess Auto Stadium on Thursday night in the opening game of the 2024 CFL season.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/06/06/als-win-110th-grey-cup-rematch-over-bombers
1 Like

In dominating fashion

6 Likes

Bombers on the way out as a force…slow and slower isn’t a formula for success…BYE BYE Bombers !

Only 1 game but, yeah, they didn’t look good. Als picked on young CB’s. Bombers very predictable on offence - run on 1st, run again if 2 & short. Cody was very comfortable in the pocket & found guys when pressed. Zach couldn’t find anyone when he was flushed. Looked rusty. Let’s see what happens in Ottawa. Early days.

4 Likes

Congrats to the Als. For the win and proving they are GC champions.
Sure looks like Collaros has exceeded his best before date with that performance. His performance must have been a huge let down for Bomber fans. O’Shea should have pulled him at half time. Is the Bomber dynasty over?

2 Likes

I don’t think the Bomber dynasty is over. One game doesn’t equal a whole season. But I do think there are legitimate concerns about the players who left as well as the overall age and mental focus of the team. They also have two new coordinators (STC and DC) so there are bound to be hiccups there.

I also question O’Shea’s decision to rest so many veterans through all of preseason. Zach looked rusty out there.

4 Likes

Let’s see where teams stand come labour day

6 Likes

The dynasty is most certainly over, but the real cause for concern among us Bomber fans should be the very plain and obvious team-wide arrogance that has gripped the players and coaches. Collaros doesn’t even bother going to camp, and when asked about it, O’Shea says “…awww, he doesn’t need it. He looks great!” Oh yeah Coach…? Collaros looked liked a rusty gate last night. CB’s getting their backsides kicked up and down the field all night, and an elite RB who totaled 38 yards for the entire game. This team is in need of a significant reset before they end up scrambling to even make the playoffs this year. Sad…

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s arrogance. But it is certainly possible complacency has set in for a team that has been the class of the league for the last four seasons. Players and coaches are human. How do you keep the competitive fire burning?

I also think O’Shea is perhaps a touch too loyal to veterans and their wishes. You need injections of young blood to keep the physicality and compete level where they need to be. Neufield openly said after the game that at points, they weren’t matching Montreal’s physicality. Montreal is a young team overall and I don’t think that mismatch is coincidental.

3 Likes

Yup, pretty soon we’ll be aligned with the likes of the Ticats (spit)

4 Likes

Definitely Collaros was rusty but I wouldn’t write him off for the year yet. the Bombers lost 30-6 at home against BC last year in a game that was several weeks later and that was indictaive of nothing.

Many Bombers are injured (3 starters on defence) , including Oliveira who didn’t even take one practice snap before last night’s game. It is harder management to keep their team together than any other team in a salary cap era given their recent success. They lost two O Lineman as well and Hardrick and Grant for sure to the salary cap.

For most of the game, until they tired at the end, the Bombers and Als played it pretty evenly and offensively the stats favoured the Bombers for some time. As the players said, however they shot themselves in the foot far too often with turnovers and penalties, something we generally haven’t seen from the Bombers the last 4 years.

It’s still way too early to opine on what they may look like this season. They were full value for their loss last night for sure and are not off to an encouraging start, but those predicting against the Bombers for the last 4 years have been wrong more often than they have been right. Is this the year the dynasty finally comes to and end? Maybe. They all do at some point. We’ll see.

3 Likes

For what it is worth, the Als lost Mack in the off season. Also lost one of their top D Linemen Uguak who is trying to catch on with the Bucs.
Als also had one of their starting lineman out due to injury as well as a starting DB.

3 Likes

But labour day is so far off and there is much chirping to do.

4 Likes

I’m aware of that Tony. All teams have lost players, but the Bombers are shorthanded more than the Als and near the top of the league along with Hamilton and maybe Toronto. But that is now and that is football. It wasn’t an excuse and the Als deserved to win and the Bombers deserved to lose last night as I said.

As a Bomber fan it is more of an explanation and a hope that the Bombers will improve going forward and that they are now at rock bottom. We will know a lot more as to whether it is a trend for the Bombers after their game against Ottawa next week. Even then it will only be two games in the vault.

I’m trying to keep this in perspective, namely that it is Game 1. In 2019 and 2022 and 2023 I don’t think too many people would have picked the Bombers, Argos and Als respectively to win the Cup after one game, or even half way through those seasons. Long way to go.

1 Like

How so Jon?

This I do agree with you on.

I don’t know what game you were watching, Jon, but the score was 27-6 until the Bombers scored their lone TD late in the 4th Qtr. That is what you normally call garbage time.

Personally I’m not into “our injuries are more & bigger than your injuries”. You build a 46 man roster to account for injuries.

3 Likes

We have had this discussion elsewhere but 3 starters down on D (Lawson, Parker and Bighill) and Chris Smith who won the last receiver spot and returned a 109 yard kick in pre season before getting injured. You talk about losing two players to the NFL and I therefore count losing Hardrick and Jeffcoat and Grant. I don’t have them all at my fingertips but one of the articles posted on the forum today, perhaps from the Winnipeg Sun, set out how the Bombers were down 9 starters in total from the end of last season. Meanwhile I keep reading that the Als have retained more starters than any other team in the league. Are you saying you are down 9 as well?

On top of that Oliveira and Alexander dressed without even practicing once this year and Demski had maybe two practices. That’s the way she goes of course but I’m not seeing how the Als are playing through more adversity.

1 Like

You mischaracterize my point. I was merely pointing out the fact that the Bombers were missing far more than the Als, who I keep hearing are decimated even though they have retained more starters and players from last year than any other team in the league. No excuses were made for my Bombers. But of course I know you like to jump on them at the drop of a hat, especially when they are down.

One more point about the game. A few posters have commented on how Streveler coming in for Collaros didn’t help Zach get into rhythm. I would agree. It felt premature to try to work Streveler into the offence in the first game of the season. Let your starter be in rhythm. I wonder if Streveler’s price tag influenced Buck Pierce at all. You’re paying a guy $150k, you probably want to get him on the field as much as you can.

1 Like

No my point is, Jon, that you play with the players you got. That the Bombers were missing or not missing far more than their opponent is irrelevant. They weren’t playing with 43 players. They fielded a full complemlent of 46 - THAT’s your team for this game, as selected by the coaches. What Chris Smith did in pre-season is as irrelevant as what Streveler did in pre-season in the NFL or what Pigrome did in the pre-season last year.

3 Likes