Als Transition - Kavis Reed . Is he the Best They Could Do ?

No disrespect to Kavis, but he has no experience as a GM.

His coaching tenure was less than stellar .

Further, on the local ( Calgary ) sports report it was mentioned that he is going to hire Joe Mack as the assistant GM.

Jock Wilson - QR77. Reported it this AM.

If it is wrong, it is on him, not me.

If I was a new GM, Joe Mack is the last guy I would want .

Not that I care, I just wonder if there was no one out there that wanted the Als GM job.

Sadly, I believe this is the best they can do.

From what it sounds like, ownership wants their hands in all facets of the on field product having the coach and GM report to Mr. Wettehal.

If that's the case, I can't see how anyone with any experience is going to walk into this role. This may be a revolving door entry level candidates.

Obviously you missed the press conference where Wetenhall said the HC reports to the GM the GM reports to the President and the President reports to Bob. As owners of any business they retain the right to veto. I know these are just words and does not mean they won't meddle but to state the the HC and GM report directly to them and that is the chain of command is wrong.

.......Joe Mack as asst. gm....hmmmmmm I thought Joe was hot and cold but mostly cold in his stint with the Bombers...IF they do go with sleepy Joe....I hope Kavis doesn't let him anywhere near the draft....He really screwed things up for us in the Peg and we're still paying for a few of the lousy pics that were made :thdn: I'm 50-50 on that hire.

I don't get it either. Mack has been punted out of football for 15 of the last 20 years and is 62... I love my GrandPa but I would not give him a job travelling the continent.

I think Kavis Reed is an excellent choice as G.M. Rather than re-tread an assistant from another team, why not promote somebody who is familiar with the organization? Kavis certainly has the necessary compassion to "take care of his players." They'll soon realize he has their back and will be there if the team needs a pillar of support. As far as the business angle, most player contracts are negotiated by the assistant G.M. and he'll have Player Personelle advisors on staff. He's a natural leader and I'll bet Kavis will develop into an excellent senior administrator for the Als. :thup:

He's starting off with a seven win team and two excellent QB prospects. The bar is set so low... All he needs his to sign an experienced QB to help the kids develop and fix his oline and he can fight for a playoff spot in 2017.

Bringing it down to basics, he needs to find 2 wins next season to give himself some time to rebuild this team.

I see they held a press conference about the new structure.

No mention of Joe Mack.

Perhaps his name was tossed around and got picked up by the media.

But they could have done worst by hiring Maciocia as assistant GM.
That would have made things interesting. The 3 St..............

Kavis said he would have announcements in the coming days and Mack is an old friend of Jim Popp's dad in Charlotte. Popp and Mack worked together for the Browns. So I would no be surprised if Mack was being propped onto Kavis. I hope he is smart enough not to hire a 62 year old to rebuild the scouting staff. It would also feed Montreal media claims that Popp is still employed by the Wetenhall family.

Wasn’t Mack GM in Winnipeg when Kavis was DC there?

Papa would remember the timeline.

AFAIK the whole idea of hiring a young GM was not to recycle rethreads...

I get the spirit of that criticism, but IMO hiring Mack to be GM and hiring him as assistant to GM Reed are two different animals. Hiring Mack to help Reed ease into the GM role doesn't mean Reed is going to turn into Mack.

Mack was a friend of Marc Trestman which might of led to his CFL interest at the time.

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/joe-mack-in-the-running-for-bombers-vp/article1430890/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/j ... le1430890/[/url]

With all due respect, the last 2 victories were against CGY who did not dress 1/2 their team including Bo Levi because they had clinched 1st and Hamilton sat veterans and also had nothing to play for, I understand a win is a win but I think you are underestimating the job at hand by a little bit by saying he just only needs to find 2 more wins.

Inexperienced QB’s, no 1st round pick, rumored Cap violations, aging roster for an unproven GM will be a big job,
that being said both Reed and Chappy have a huge amount of CFL experience.

There is work to do but its not like he's inheriting a one or two win team if you know what I mean...

I like these QB's a lot. Cato improved this year and Adams showed he can win games as a raw rookie. ChapdelaIe says he can't divulge his plans so he's not accused of marauding but he was clear that dumping KG was a mistake and the Als are in the market for an experienced QB so that the kids can continue to grow at their own pace.

1st rounder is a non issue, Actually its a plus since we need the coins to sign Foucault who will slot right in at left tackle.

CAP violations is BS until proven otherwise.

Roster isn't that old, We have four starting DB's all under 25. We need to add some fresh juice at the LB and Dline but the rest is actually quite young.

Unproven GM has no coaches to hire, no first rounder agent to turn him into knots and a free agency period where half the league players need contracts. There isn't much damage Kavis can do unless he tries to emulate his old mentor...

There is work to do but its not like he's inheriting a one or two win team if you know what I mean...

I like these QB's a lot. Cato improved this year and Adams showed he can win games as a raw rookie. ChapdelaIe says he can't divulge his plans so he's not accused of marauding but he was clear that dumping KG was a mistake and the Als are in the market for an experienced QB so that the kids can continue to grow at their own pace.

1st rounder is a non issue, Actually its a plus since we need the coins to sign Foucault who will slot right in at left tackle.

CAP violations is BS until proven otherwise.

Roster isn't that old, We have four starting DB's all under 25. We need to add some fresh juice at the LB and Dline but the rest is actually quite young.

Unproven GM has no coaches to hire, no first rounder agent to turn him into knots and a free agency period where half the league players need contracts. There isn't much damage Kavis can do unless he tries to emulate his old mentor...

Not a huge Kavis Reid fan as Mr. Consequences has had less than stellar reviews as a head coach. However, nobody but friggin’ nobody has more loyalty to his employer than Reed. The guy is way too expressive, way too emotional - but way too loyal. I’ll take some of that my friends!

Obviously he was unsuitable in many respects as a head coach. Darn good defensive coach in Winnipeg though. Decent special teams in Montreal in a chaotic situation.

Now, about Joe Mack. Drowsy Joe was obviously a franchise serial-killer. No more unsuitable man to be a CFL GM ever existed. Joe was simply inserted in a position he was unsuited for. Keep in mind the bombers have always been a football club - not always a football organization (ie. active in recruiting, training, developing players, scouting, managing, drafts, etc.). Basically operating a ticket office, a few itinerant coaches, hobos on the field and fans salivating for days of yore when they actually had great football minds at the helm. (ie. Bud Grant, Ausley, Lunsford, Cal, etc.)

Kavis immediately shows his weakness re: US recruiting cuz the team no longer has Jim Popp’s rolodex. Mack is the only guy down south who basically is available on a semi full-time basis. Mack can actually recruit guys - he knows his football. Just not particularly great developing QBs within a system (look at the dumpster fires he brought into Winnipeg), Joe is also useless at Canadian drafting but he’ll be kept out of that process in Montreal.

Pretty darn good at bringing in powerful d-linemen, aggressive linebackers, the odd top drawer DB, decent wide receivers and the best of dime a dozen scatback running backs.

Next thing you know Kavis will be bringing in the Sub Sauce Kid, Brendan Taman as an assistant GM responsible for Canadian drafting? I’ll quit writing garbage if he reaches out to Lord Lyle Bauer as a VP of Standing Around!

I have no idea what all that means but it sounded cool.

Cannot get inside anyone's head to ever know what they are really thinking, but one has to wonder if Mack is coming onboard as a sage & safeguard should Kavis need ample time to spread his wings so to speak.

It's a long shot, but will give them a call to determine if they may need some additional scouting help in the states. Given that Jim Popp and Mack have a history though Mack may have already inherited Popp's rolodex and may not need any additional help at all.

The torch has been passed... http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2016/12 ... ship-team/