Als sign QB Dominique Davis, release Matthew Shiltz

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes have signed American quarterback Dominique Davis to a one-year deal.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/04/als-sign-qb-dominique-davis-release-matthew-shiltz/

If there is one thing Davis could not complain about is receiving his share of opportunities and a little surprised by this move. Don't know a whole lot about Shiltz but he seemed to look pretty good in his limited action. Wonder what it would take to sign him and if the Blue Bombers might be interested?

1 Like

Shiltz was left off the roster for the playoff game against Hamilton. Als went with Harris and their rookie Shea Patterson as the backup.
Shiltz was the QB when Adams was injured until he got injured himself.

He probably did not want to re sign with the Als.

1 Like

All it would take is a recap of what he'd be getting into here. A bigger, better offensive line that keeps him from our of the hospital should be the clincher.

Ouch! This has to be one of the biggest thumbs down moves of this year's free agency derby so far. Davis bombed in Winnipeg and Ottawa. Over 7 years he has thrown 11 touchdowns vs 19 IT's, which they don't mention in the article. What possible upside could he have left? He did absolutely nothing to impress last year and was given every opportunity to do so before he was "hurt". Conversely, I thought that Schlitz looked quite decent in his limited chances to play before he got hurt and before the Als obtained Harris. I also say all this while confirming that I like the Als and thought they were headed in the right direction. If Davis is Plan B they better hope that Adams stays healthy. On the plus side, Schlitz is now free to sign as the backup to Collaros in Winnipeg, which I posted about being on my wishlist months ago. The Als may as well sign McGuire too as he would give Davis some tough competition for the backup spot. Besides, anyone who is named (almost) after a beer has to be an asset on any football team.

2 Likes

They might have signed Davis to fill a temporary need until a better option becomes available. Between now and training camp they'll probably sign a quarterback with some better upside potential. I think Montreal is smarter than the average bear.

The only way I see this making any sense is that Mathew Schiltz doesn't want to play football anymore. If not, this has the potential to be a classic blunder on Maccioa's part. As a backup, he was about the best in the League. When he did start or came in in relief, he was pretty darn good. Money should not have been a problem here.

1 Like

They have Shea Patterson. Maybe they are hoping he will push or surpass Davis.
Should not be too hard :wink:

2 Likes

"Can you out pass that squirrel we ran over in the parking lot?"

Talk about giving your new guy 'achievable goals'.

One thing that is possible with regards to Matthew Schiltz also, is that he has a better option/deal that he wants to take advantage of. Any number of teams would benefit with him on the roster.

That is a big surprise. Came to Ottawa with potential to be a starter and did nothing.
I thought Schiltz looked pretty good

I've now read some of the posts, including yours, but am still scratching my head. Perhaps he is being signed as a doorstop as you suggest, but that still makes little sense. As someone else pointed out, perhaps Schlitz doesn't want to play and as also pointed out, he was as good as any backup in the league aside from possibly Maier and Hamilton's 1A 1B situation last year, which they will no longer have. I would love to see him on the Bombers this year and I don't see how he would present any financial issues for any team.

Edit: Maybe as suggested he has something in the wings already. That would possibly explain MTL moving on but wouldn't explain signing Davis.

1 Like

I'm not even going to try to understand some of movements we see from time to time. My brain refuses to work that hard anymore.

Schiltz would thrive here. I can see him biding his time behind Collaros while getting more and more comfortable behind that huge offensive line of ours.

1 Like

I think it all comes down to what's left in the piggy bank at the end of the day. Montreal needs to get better. Shiltz might've wanted more money. Both sides might've been at an impasse.

2 Likes

Been saying that for months. Having Collaros insurance like Schlitz would make the Bombers that much harder to beat. All they would really need then is a placekicker and as they showed last year, they can just sign one of those with a few weeks left in the season.

2 Likes

Maybe our sophmore Canadian pick has gotten over his jitters by now. This could be Liegghio's year to shine.

1 Like

It sure didn’t take long for Schlitz to sign with Hamilton. Discussions obviously took place whenever it became clear he wasn’t staying with Montreal for whatever that reason was. It seems Hamilton fans have been worried about some players they have lost or may lose, especially Davis. However it all turns out I see this as nothing but a win for Hamilton and a loss for Montreal.

1 Like

To play football? Why?

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Als decision to start Harris over Shiltz in the Eastern Semi-Final, although understandable, given that Harris was a seasoned veteran, sent the wrong message to Shiltz. Shiltz had done very, very well almost every time he was called on to take the reins and he likely, and rightfully, believes he deserves a shot at QB1 somewhere else, rather than spending the rest of his career waiting for a break. I was surprised that Khari didn't put Shiltz in when it became clear that Harris was struggling. Shiltz is a good leader and brings a lot of energy and determination to the huddle. He also throws a strong ball, on a line, with accuracy. He'll probably sign with a team that is searching for a starter and I'll be surprised if he doesn't win the starting job if he's given a chance. I'm sorry to see him leave the Als. Dominique Davis is a great athlete with just one puzzle piece to solve, which is how to avoid picks/turnovers. If he can do that, he could easily become a very good quarterback. The ball is in his hands! Wish him the best of success.

3 Likes