Als. getting desperate????

…going to be interesting in Mont.that’s for sure hfxtc…I know Berry quite well after coaching here…Didn’t like a lot of his calls but he did get us to a Cup one year…the next year was a bust… He wasn’t great in Regina …Maybe you’ll get him on a good year :roll:

The thing with Doug that last year from what I was told. He found out even before the season started that there was a deal in place to bring in Mike Kelly and anything less than winning the GC was going to get him fired. If that is correct I understand why his demeanor changed. I think he’s a fine coach. I hope he does well.

Great read. Interesting that Hawkins had him on his coaching staff before. And I can’t wait to see how he incorporates the ‘fly’ stuff into the offense.

On the “too many cooks” argument: over the past few years, all we heard was how the Als were losing veteran coaches to other teams. Now that we’ve hired some veterans, suddenly there are too many egos and too many cooks in the kitchen. :wink: Not sure what coaching staff would strike a perfect balance? Especially when the previous HC leaving so late forced us to hire an entire coaching staff at the same time, late in the hiring season. I think they’ll do fine, and I can’t wait to see what they are concocting…

I think Popp did a good job with the staff. There's always going to be a ? about guys new to the CFL like Hawkins and Miller, but overall Popp and Wetenhall have given him a pretty full staff with what looks on paper to be a nice mixture of guys, some with prior CFL coaching experience, and in the case of Dinwiddie a previous CFL player getting his feet wet in the coaching ranks. It still remains to be seen if the Als get the Boise state or the colorado version of Hawkins, but with the staff assembled he's being given the resources to adapt to the CFL and be successful. The biggest question in my mind on that staff is Mike Miller. He had success as a positional coach, particularly working with the receivers when he had Breaston, Fitzgerald, and Boldin. His one year in Arizona as the OC last season wasn't spectacular. Mind you he'll have a much better QB to work with in Calvillo than he did with the troika of Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, and Brian Hoyer.