Als Depth Chart 2021

You can't dress more than 2 Global players.

Richard

Well that clears up the reasoning behind it(Dumb if you ask me)
but it still does not explain what happens if your 2 dressed QBs go down

IF you have no other guy with QB skills/ability dressed, then i guess you are hooped and have to run wildcat offence with a RB playing QB ?

But if you have a guy with QB skills on the game roster (and listed at DB or receiver or whatever - and he can play STs as well), then he goes in at QB ?

Here's Ambrosie elaborating on the QB limit.

Can't find anything to confirm this, but the most logical answer if you dress 2 and both go down is to go to a positional player who has some QB background.

I stole this from the Riders site as examples of 2 QBS going down:

BC - Oct 19, 1996 - Damon Allen & Chris Vargas injured - Giulio Caravatta played. Vargas missed the rest of the season and Caravatta started the next game.

Cgy - Sep 1, 2008 - Henry Burris & Dave Dickenson injured - Barrick Nealy played. Dickenson's career was over - Burris started the next game

Edm - Sep 5, 1988 - Damon Allen & Tracy Ham injured - WR Stephen Jones played QB for 1 series before Ham returned to the game. Damon Allen missed the next 3 games

Ham - Nov 8, 1992 - Damon Allen & Don McPherson injured - Todd Dillon played. Damon Allen started the next game

Mtl - Jul 18, 1978 - Joe Barnes & Sonny Wade injured - Barnes returned to the game after Wade's injury. Wade missed the next 9 games.
Mtl - Aug 29, 1978 - Larry Lawrence & Joe Barnes injured - Gerry Dattilio played. Lawrence never played again & Dattilio got the next start
Mtl - Jun 25, 2015 - Jonathan Crompton & Dan Lefevour injured - Brandon Bridge played. Lefevour missed the rest of the season - Crompton missed the next 9 games - Rakeem Cato started the following week

Ott - Oct 9, 1989 - Damon Allen & Willie Gillus injured - WR Steve Howlett played one series at QB - Starter Damon Allen returned to the game. Both Allen & Gillus missed the remainder of the season. Tony Kimbrough started the next game.

Ssk - Jul 28, 2000 - Henry Burris & Jim Ballard injured - Burris finished the game - John Rayborn was dressed as the 3rd string QB. Ballard missed the remainder of the season.

Tor - Nov 11, 1990 - Rickey Foggie & John Congemi injured - Willie Gillus played. Foggie missed the final game of the season & Congemi started the next game.

Wpg - Oct 13, 1996 - Kent Austin & Reggie Slack injured - Kent Austin returned to the game. Reggie Slack missed the next 3 games & Kevin McDougal started the next game
Wpg - Oct 23, 2010 - Steven Jyles & Alex Brink injured - Joey Elliott played. Jyles & Brink missed the rest of the season and Elliott started.
Wpg - Sep 24, 2011 - Buck Pierce & Alex Brink injured - Justin Goltz played. Pierce missed one game & Brink started the next game.
Wpg - Oct 27, 2012 - Buck Pierce & joey Elliott injured - Alex Brink played. Pierce & Elliott missed the final game of the season & Brink got the start.

Wpg - Oct 2, 1988 - starter Tom Muecke left the field during the warmup and spent the remainder of the day in hospital (fluid build up in elbow). The Blue Bombers tried to dress Roy Dewalt but the CFL wouldn't allow it as the lineup was already set. Sean Salisbury played the game without a backup QB. Although popular lore states that Bob Cameron was the emergency QB, it was actually Perry Tuttle who would have played QB if necessary.

It happened once to the Als as well Crompton and someone else went down.

This will bring back some wonderful memories:

My memory is still hanging in there! :smiley:

I was going to say in Ottawa but I did not want to push my luck

You might have been better off forgetting the 2015 season.

I remember Henry Burris going down and Trevor Harris comes in and he gets injured too. I can’t remember if it was 1 or 2 games both of them were out.
But you bring up a good point - it’s highly unlikely that both your QBs go down but what happens if they do? I think they will have someone that can take a few snaps and knows how to call plays. In Ottawa they do have Sinopoli an ex-CIS QB to step in just in case.
Don’t know who in Montreal

QB Philip Nelson has been released so we are now down to 6.

Sheldon (who is hoping training camp will be permitted to the public)

I confess to being surprised at Nelson’s release. So much for my prediction that he’d supplant Shiltz as the backup.

1 Like

I’ve been a fan of Shiltz but have to admit he hasn’t blown anyone away in his somewhat limited appearances.

Shiltz, and really this applies to Vernon also, appear to have the intangibles of being hard workers and good teammates. But they really haven’t yet proven over a consistent basis that they have the QB tangibles - strong arm, accuracy, good decision making.

Hopefully they will.

I won't be surprised if 1 or even 2 more QB's are released; while 2 is the least likely scenario, I definitely expect another 1 to be released. I recall, Madjack, when you predicted that Nelson would supplant Schiltz. I was not one thinking so, although I expected that Shiltz would not be the number 2 QB. He could be number 3. My choice as number 2 was and remains Darius James Peterson.

While the off-season roster has not been adjusted for quite some time, taking track of additions and deletions, I have the off-season roster at 110 players. Many will definitely be released before July, so I think.

Richard

1 Like

Since the Spring League is going on now, it is possible that Philip Nelson asked for his own release so he could participate there.

The other name listed was Logan Tago who definitely is involved in another league as he is currently on a Major League Rugby roster.

1 Like

Just popping in to say hi. I haven't been following the Als at all, and am recovering from elbow surgery after a pretty bad fall late in March. Hope everyone is doing well.

4 Likes

Hope you’re doing well aside from your elbow during these unusual times. And hopefully there’ll be some Als football to talk about shortly.

Don’t know if you subscribe to The Athletic, but they often have these detailed articles on football strategy. There was one this week on Cover 7 (not a typo), too detailed for me, but perhaps of interest to you.

1 Like

I like the Athletic, but I don’t subscribe. Am intrigued by cover *7" though, lol. Seems like rush 4 + MLB + outside linebackers and DB in total zone? Anyhow, good to hear from you, sheldon.

Welcome back D&P.

2 Likes

National OL David Brown just announced as being signed by the Als, although this May 30 story had him signing in The Spring League.

Likely means he's been told there is going to be a CFL season, where he has a chance to be the payee rather than the payer.

Some other interesting prospects as well: