Als at Stamps 07/21/18

Who is left writing sports for the Gazette these days aside from Herb?

Think it’s the two hockey guys Stu Cowan and Pat Hickey.
Pat I think does some tennis coverage, aside from that it’s hockey all the way.

Looks like Herb is the one who gets the opportunity to broaden his sports mind and cover other sports aside from the Als.

Yeah there`s just Herb, Cowan and Hickey who is in his 70s. And for some reason they allow entertainment reporter Brendan Kelly to write an anti-Habs story almost every weekend.

In the print edition they fill the pages using stories from sports reporters in other Postmedia cities, mainly Toronto.

I havent splurged on it yet but there is supposed to be some great writing in The Athletic, particularly hockey. Thats where all the sports reporters who lost jobs have gone.

I can not recall the last time I splurged on a copy of the Gazette. I do know the last time I did, the few pages there actually were 50% of the content was advertising.

And yes I believe there are a few who have gone to the Athletic.

I am surprised that the Gazette has not gone the way of LaPresse, on line format only.

My friends all laugh at me that I still subscribe to the physical paper. Old habits die hard.

I`m amazed that no matter the weather, even in the dead of winter, the carrier has the paper at my door by 4:00 A.M. And I do take care of him at Xmas. :slight_smile:

This is off topic, but these days the carriers need to have vehicles to deliver.
“Back in my day”, nothing like walking or using your bike to make sure those papers were delivered on time and dry when it was raining.
And Saturdays sure helped the upper body workout with the large inserts added.

“Those were the days…”

Not really.

Johnstone is said to weigh 275 pounds in the JDM article. Surely that is a mistake?!

Edit: he’s also listed at 275 on the Als website. If true, that is very light to be playing tackle.

Impact doing all the right things lately, yet only 15,500 fans Saturday and 13,400 last night.

Which brings up the topic of Montreal only being a hockey city.

If true that is light.

The Als will be starting 2 rookie tackles in Johnstone and Rodgers. Can`t remember ever seeing that with the Als or any CFL team for that matter. And against the best d-line in the league.

If I`m Drew Willy I might be saying my neck injury is acting up again.

Whichever intern who edited the website roster probably just searched for Johnstone's height and weight and found this which was 7 years ago when he was a freshman.

Two years ago the year of his draft class, Johnstone has different numbers on his NFL draft profile.

In his podcast from April 2018 where he talks about coming to the CFL, Johnstone says he was training and weighed 300 lbs. If he was done with football, his natural weight would be around 250.

On this week's Flightdeck podcast, Cliffy D said he had a correspondence with DB Justin Gibbons who was released during training camp due to an injury. Gibbons told Cliffy D that he has now recovered and would be coming back to Montreal. That lead Cliffy D to speculate that Jermaine Robinson was released because Gibbons was returning.

Another player let go during training camp due to injury was WR Jack Bramswig who tore his ACL.Als willdefinitely not be re-signing him anytime soon.

It isn’t a typo, he’s basically been lifting and doing cardio for the last two years. 275 is about right. If Derrick Dennis says he’s good he can’t be bad…

Johnstone must have gone to Schwartz for lunch today. He`s now listed on the website at 295.

Ha! Someone from the Alouettes’ organisation has been reading our forum…

While probably not as important to them as Facebook or Twitter, I`m sure their communication/marketing people take a look at our forum.

And most likely Kavis and Andrew will take a peek from time to time. When you own or run a business it`s only natural to be curious what people are saying.

The Caretaker posts fairly regularly on the Tiger-Cat forum. Tonight he may be writing that it`s time to play Manziel. :slight_smile:

Herb was back on the Als beat yesterday, telling us stuff we already know - that the Als offense sucks - but not telling us stuff we`d like to know - how long Chris Williams and Sean Jamieson will be out.

It is actually good news that Willy is starting against Calgary ... Don't really want THAT defence to crush the spirit of Schiltz, Adams or Fugate.

Ben Cahoon will be the color man for Rick Moffat on the TSN 690 broadcast.

The poor guy will be in shock watching this year`s version of an Alouette offense.

46 year old Cahoon, could probably come down from the broadcast booth in a suit and tie, and do better than Ernest Jackson!

:slight_smile:

IN
WR Steven Adekolu from Practice Roster
DB Joe Burnett from 1-Game Injured List
CB Greg Ducre signed this week
LB Kevin Haynes from Practice Roster
OL Tyler Johnstone signed ths week
WR De'Mornay Pierson-El from Practice Roster
OL Na'Ty Rodgers from Practice Roster
QB Matt Shiltz from 1-Game Injured List
QB Drew Willy from 1-Game Injured List

OUT