Als- Argos Oct 29

Don’t even give those clowns the time of day. We don’t need to stoop to their level (and it’s just a few of them; the majority of Cats fans I talk to are respectful, classy posters).

After our blowout loss to Hamilton, I went to their forum and gave their team full credit for the win, because that’s part of being a fan: take your lumps when the other team takes your team to the woodshed. Their response? Trolling Cats fans gloating over their win coming into our backyard and talking smack. Fans I’d never seen here before, who were nowhere to be found when we were thrashing the Cats earlier in the season. No class, no courage.

The Alouettes strength on defense is against the run.
Conventional thinking gives a lot of of that credit to the middle linebacker...
For once I have to agree.

If you're going to question and dump players on the basis of what they do against Corey Boyd
Well the CFL's gonna get pretty thinned out.

The Alouettes held Boyd to 68yds on 8 carries
He lit it up receiving...79yds...but that responsibility is shared
Chip Cox has an especially hard time tackling the big man
You want to dump Cox too?

On the other side of the ball...Cobourne ran for 81yds
Nice to see the Als make some commitment to the running game going into the post-season
Cobourne's running well
Despite some drops he needs to be more active.

But for a couple of positions...I don't think the Alouettes problems in the secondary is personnel.
The Alouettes play a lot of man. The whole defensive strategy is reliant on the defensive line (and whoever's blitzing) getting pressure on the quarterback....on every play. If we need help on defense, it's with a "Stevie Baggs" John Bowman type of rush-end. I love Anwar Stewart...and he's been the heart of the team for years. But he's just not up to the job of getting on the quarterback on a consistent basis. Neither is anyone else other than Bowman.

Which leads us to why the Alouettes tend to "drop-off" on defense...and then seem to dominate in other games. Pressuring the quarterback is hard...one on one work. You're taking a pounding and sacrificing your body play after play. If the game really has meaning...that's one thing. But IMHO this is where the "drop-off" in performance happens on defense when we seem to lose focus and get beat so bad. It's where the defense ends up pulling it's socks up and saving a game...like last night. I'm sure I'm not the only one left yelling at my television, "Get the &%^$ quarterback". No secondary playing man coverage can handle those steamboats. So that would be my solution for next year: a star rush-end...Jim Popp whatchu got?

That all makes sense Senior. . . I agree in your assessment of Stewart. . . he has certainly given us yeoman service over the years, but those years are sadly catching up to him, as they do to all players eventually. Bowman's been a stud, and I think McElveen and Wilson solidify the middle such that we don't miss Williams as much as we might have, but we do need more pressure, and if that means Anwar retiring or taking a lesser role in favour of some new big, young, fast, sackmaster, then so be it.

And going off on a bit of tangent, what was with the interference calls and non-calls?

Cox gets called for interference which wasn't. . . and Eiben got called for interference which also wasn't. And how Dix didn't get called for interference/faceguarding/shielding, whatever you call it on that pass to Owens I fail to understand.

Excuse me? Were we watching the same game?
Calvillo was atrocious for much of the middle part of the game
And when he finally had his back to the wall and had to perform…he marched the team brilliantly down the field
Only to choke big time in the redzone

Don’t get me wrong…the 3 points were a blessing at the end of the game
But it was the fact that Lemon couldn’t throw his way out of a paper bag that won the game.
Had we been playing any kind of a quarterback we would have lost…badly.

What about the complete BS unsportsmanlike to Bekasiak at the end of a short-yardage conversion? Check the replay -- there is nothing there to warrant a 15-yard penalty.

Somebody’s going to have to sit officials down in the off-season and make this one point:

It is not your job to determine the outcome of a game.

There’s too much at stake for them to do anything more than call the most egregious infractions
Especially on pass-interference…which is the one call that can turn a game around…
As I’ve said before…there’s contact and hand-fighting in almost every coverage situation
Much of it is illegal on the strict interpretation of the rules
But this is a contact sport…it’s not basketball
In fact (much to my grandfather’s chagrin) basketball seems to let a lot more slide than a lot of CFL officials
Which is simply absurd.

Let Them Play

Or calling Diamond Ferri for celebrating a great return…and the ball happens to bounce up and touch someone?

How about Watkins's big return? Only five catches, but boy did he make those catches count (118 yards)! Suitor did a nice job of explaining how Watkins sold the outside move to the Hamilton DB then cut inside to establish separation for Calvillo's TD pass. It's the little things that separate a Watkins from a Bratton at this point in time. In fact, if Kerry plays next week and see the ball, he could still hit 1000 yards on the season.

Kudos also to Jamel Richardson for a great season -- he's currently third overall in receiving yardage, no mean feat considering the Cahoon-esque nature of the patterns he runs (short hitches or slants, shallow crosses, etc.).

[quote="MadJack"]
Regardless of how far we get this season, we need some changes for next season.

We are the worst in the CFL in terms of pass defence. So, we need to blow up the secondary and bring in fresh talent there, perhaps a new coach for the secondary or a new defensive coordinator, or all three.

Looking at our backup/potential players (practice roster), we definitely need changes for next year. We have no one promising waiting in the wings. Wipe the slate clean. Then look at the draft and bring on board some experienced players.

Has anyone heard anymore about Larry Taylor's rib injury??

Great game by Watkins…and some nifty moves in the open field.
I appreciated the interview with Cahoon, talking about Watkins and what makes him great:

He has about every route in the book. So defensive backs don't know which way he's going to go because they have to prepare for everything.He stretches the defense, is a "big play" wide-receiver and a big part of our offense.
Up and comers like Bratton and Hawkins would do well to listen to Watkins' instruction...which apparently he was more than happy to give during his convalescence.

Speaking of Ben Cahoon…whatever possessed Anthony Calvillo to go long to Cahoon - what - 3 times?
I mean Ben has great hands and everything…but with Watkins, Richardson and Green in the lineup…not to mention Brian Bratton…I can’t get my head around that kind of decision-making. Maybe once…just for the surprise value…but really.

When we play that passive rush-four defensive style, we get burned. When we bring pressure on the opposing quarterback, we have success more often than not. With a guy like Lemon who can't hit the deep ball consistently, why on earth aren't you just blitzing the crap out of him on most plays?

To me, the positions we should reevaluate in the offseason are rush end (Stewart), defensive tackle (Wilson), middle linebacker (Emry), defensive halfback (Parker), cornerback (Dix), placekicker (Duval), and most importantly -- defensive coordinator (Burke). Obviously we need a full-time ST coordinator as well, no more of this bs committee nonsense.

On top of that, if Smith can't get us a permanent practice facility for the 2011 season, he should be fired. It is a black mark on the franchise that we have let the defending Grey Cup champions lose at least one hour of time to travel at each and every practice this season.

Going back to the subject of pass interference:

Watching the game over...at the end of the 1st half Calvillo throws a long one to Cahoon.
The Argos defender both contacted and screened Ben on the play.
I simply cannot understand how broadcasters and journalists alike are mute on the obvious favoritism against the Alouettes. Sure Eiben got rooked on that one call...but that's the exception that proves the rule.

And the rule is: call anything you can against the Montreal Alouettes...as little as possible for them

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Eric Wilson…are you serious?
I might have been willing to admit Emry could be replaced by a better middle linebacker…
But if you’re seriously questioning Eric Wilson than I can only conclude you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.
The Alouettes have been rock-solid against the run for two seasons now. Both Wilson and Emry have been instrumental…

Maybe you should go back to dogging Herb…at least that had a few amusing aspects to it.

And no…I’m not telling anyone what not to write…but really…

No, no, no, I"m not going to slag on you for using “than” when I think you mean “then”. . . :smiley:

Just permit me to point out two little items. . . it is possible to disagree with another poster’s opinion without being insulting and condescending. Secondly, there’s little point even if you do want to insult another poster, to try to do it to someone who can’t see it.

Now, I agree with him and not with you about Emry; I agree with you and not with him about Wilson.

But I won’t say that either one of you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about; just different opinions is all, and we are each entitled to same.

Agreed, MJ.

Agree without being disagreeable, haven't we all heard that before?
After all, we're on the same side - well most of us are anyway.
But I do have to agree with Senior Ah Me - Eric Wilson is one of our best players.

I never said I thought Wilson was a bad player. However, I don't know if he's what we need in the interior of the line. Sure, he takes up two blocks, but how often does he actually get to the quarterback? How good is he at containing mobile QBs who can move around in the pocket? Additionally, I said we should reevaluate him at DT, which doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of him. But I sure would like Popp to bring in some impact players along the D-line to push veterans like Wilson and Stewart.

You, I and everyone else would like to see Popp bring in some impact players on the D-line. Don't think that's going to happen this year. There just aren't any "new, big, young, fast sackmasters" waiting on our roster(s). Again, I say, let's look forward to the 2011 draft and hope the "right" decisions are made. If you want to really push the veterans to their full potential, give them something to worry about - like having players as good as they are waiting to take their place.

Agree with most of that.

I also pointed out that AC was the main reason for this W. The D looked abysmal at times with poor ST coverage on returns, atrocious tackling...etc. A few last minute D heroics helped, but AC ate up the 4th quarter with a systematic, text-book dismantling of the Argo D. The Argo O was on an extended lunch break in the 4th. The Watkins long-bomb TD was no fluke! At the very least, this game was heading to OT. The Lemon INT helped us, and Duval almost booted it away, but "redeemed" himself somewhat on the kick-out play that ended the game.

To be sure, we have come out flat on O at times this season, but I would say that the biggest problems and the most glaring ones are on the pass-rush and secondary, both of which allowed opposing Os extended drives. The unacceptable number of PIs almost cost us many games this season. This is either because the D coaches have not taught them proper technique, a lack of practise time, or a need of better personnel in these positions. So, something most definitely has to be done to shore up that aspect of the team.

For AC detractors - he has racked up very impressive stats once more, we are 12-5, in 1st place, are assured home-field advantage for the East Final, and we may have a shot at another GC. What more can I say?