Als- Argos Oct 29

Well, AC looked better and the O looked sharper, but we dropped some very catchable balls, one notably by Cobourne that likely would have been a TD. On D - yech! Not championship play by a long shot! If they don't play with more intensity than this, the Als' season ends on Nov. 21st.

Yep...looks like they wanted to make a statement with this game...for about half of one quarter...then nothing.

This team is missing something...and that something already has >200 yds in returns in the 1st half.

Sheesh...what a gaff.

Calvillo’s doing nothing…again

NOW would be the time…

Well the "Flyin' Hawaiin" is doing his thing, but how about some downfield coverage? Once again the Als are moving the ball but (sigh!), I'll do the "broken record" routine once more, no RZ production and the D is looking terribly porous against a team that doesn't produce points.

I know the game means nothing in the standings from the Als point of view, but championship teams play hard - right to the bitter end! Some of the early season woes are evidently back to haunt us. I'm not sure about the East Division Championship this season!

When our offence scores 20 points, against a team like Toronto, the defence should be able to hold. . . and tonight they are not; nor is our special team doing us any favours. . . Hamilton held Owens in check pretty well their last game, did we not watch film as to how they were able to do that ??

Als red zone production and play calling is horrible.

Duval FG 19 yards, 15 yards and 11 yards ...

This team's problem is they can't or will not run the ball between the tackles.

Defense and Special teams are giving up big plays like candy on Halloween night. 300 plus yards to a a returner !

I'm not liking Trestman and Milanovich this year at all.

wow...what a finish

Thank you Lemon...

I'd like to think the real Alouettes was the team we saw in the first quarter...
They made a statement...figured it was enough then took the foot off the pedal...completely

The Argos are a team you can't back off from
That's what's so exciting about the CFL...big plays and special teams.

Going back to that first quarter...I think that properly motivated by an important game
that Alouettes team is likely to show up
That's what I'm hoping anyway....

Well, a finish that you could only see in the CFL!!!!

Nonetheless, the D, which helped us eke out a few Ws this season, nearly threw this one away. And how about the downfield tackling and running proper lanes (or rather the lack thereof!)? Oy! yoy! yoy! Those dropped passes early in the game would have allowed the Als to build up a bigger lead, and I think the D made Lemon look better than he is. While the Argos lost this one, they now know that they can play with the Als, considering the W earlier this season (which they won handily!) and almost pulling this one off.

I think Trestman did well by keeping AC in the game. He, until further notice, is the field general and he must find a way for the team to win even in a game like this. I still hope we see AD next week, but the Als have to come out mean to give both the Ticats and the Argos something to think about on Nov. 21st. Next week - Black Flag!

If the Argos manage to find a good QB (...Adrian) and keep the core of the team they will be a very competitive team next year.

About that spectacular (or weird) finish, I wish Duval would stop choking on important kicks. However, I think that last Cobourne run should have been used to relocate the ball at the center of the field.

THe Als did not win this game rather, cleo lemon lost it. I came into this game wondering if lemon would have more interceptions or, more fumbles ? On an amazingly stupid play, Lemon lost the game most ineptly with his final interception. The Als offence in the final quarter was not true to form!.The team, using both the run and, the pass completed a good march down the field. There was an excellent combination of both with Kerry Carter and Cobourne making big yards on the ground which, gave the Als good ball control in moving to their win. Finally, the team blended running and passing and, played excellent football in the final Q!

The RZ production wouldn't be so bad if the defense stopped giving up the big play. Seriously, giving up that TD at the end of the first half was inexcusable.

1. Bone-headed decision to have Duval try a long FG with Owens in the end zone.

2. Duval misses the FG try. Can he kick anything outside 30 yards anymore?

3. Defense just falls asleep. Estelle with an unsportsmanlike, the D beaten twice on 2nd and long for big gains on screen plays to Boyd. Emry has been brutal this season and we should seriously reconsider him at starting MLB in the offseason. His tackling is awful, he's taking poor angles to the RB, and he's failing to make his reads properly.

On the plus side, kudos to the whole team for battling back and finding a way to win despite Duval's best attempts to lose it for us (does he play for the other team? how does a professional kicker and an import to boot miss so many makeable field goals?).

If I might be permitted to voice a couple of concerns about Calvillo...

While AC is acknowledged to be great at reading coverages...there's serious doubt as to his blitz-read/react abilities. Watch last week's fumble against Hamilton (his 6th of the year BTW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy29n2p72FE&feature=fvwk

(around the 37 second mark)

Everybody in the stadium could see the blitz coming....Hamilton had 8 guys up on the line. Now although Calvillo had every reason to assume Whittaker would take the extra man...it's clear had NO idea the blitz was on. AC pivots clockwise to pump a fake before spinning back into the arms of the onrushing defenders....something he obviously shouldn't have done if he'd been aware of pressure.

We saw it tonight against Toronto: Calvillo leads a brilliant, precision-passing drive down the field....all the way to the red-zone. Then...as so often happens...a team brings pressure against a pass-mostly offense...flushes Calvillo and we waste an ideal scoring chance because he can't get it done with his feet...will not read the blitz...and has little or no answer for it when he does.

You'd think a pocket passer like AC would have developed the perfect screen pass to counter such an obvious deficiency in his game....but how many times have we seen him rocket the ball into the outstretched arms of an onrushing defender? It arguably cost us the Cup against Calgary in '08...just as his "blitz-blindness" has on numerous occasions...most recently against Edmonton.

People have wondered why I'm down on Calvillo...and I've pointed to his poor Grey Cup record as the main reason.
But I've been doing a lot of looking into why Calvillo does so poorly in big games...and this goes a long way to explaining it. When teams are sitting with their backs to the wall, against a pass oriented offense...they've learned that bringing massive pressure to bear can turn the tide.

There's no doubt that AC has learned to counter this handicap with very quick reads and a quick release...but if you bring sufficient pressure and the backs can cover for a couple seconds...you know AC's going to be in trouble.
Obviously there's risk involved...but defensive coordinators have been successfully taking that risk in key situations for years.

As a fan it's been frustrating...continues to be frustrating to watch.

100% correct on that. When you saw the replay of that one Argos' TD at the end of the half (the replay shown on TSN from the end zone angle, this website doesn't show that replay), what the heck was Emry thinking on that play ?? Was he ever out of position on that one. . .

Do we suck or we just dont care, I dont know what to think anymore. Taylor wtf already injured. I hope its not serious!

Shall we go into the Tiger Cats forum and explain to them how there missing something and let them know that it was there turn to get there ass beat down.

It's a bit depressing, isn't it mike? Hard to know where to start. . . we looked like world beaters early in the first quarter, and then went to sleep.

Regardless of how far we get this season, we need some changes for next season.

We are the worst in the CFL in terms of pass defence. So, we need to blow up the secondary and bring in fresh talent there, perhaps a new coach for the secondary or a new defensive coordinator, or all three.

We desperately need a dedicated special teams coach.

We need a reliable field goal kicker.

We need to dedicate more to the running game instead of under-using the talent we have in Cobourne and Carter.

Assuming that AC returns for 2011, I'd say we start platooning him with McPherson for the season, so that the latter can be ready to take over the helm in 2012. Then, if there's an expansion draft for Ottawa between 2011 and 2012, we leave AC unprotected and protect McPherson. .. I doubt Ottawa would take AC because they'd suspect, probably accurately, that AC would choose to retire rather than go play one or two seasons max for an expansion team.

We need a new middle linebacker. Maybe not really new, just sit Emry down and move Guzman inside. Would require a ratio move but I'm sure we can handle that.

Well, the Als sport a 12-5 record, which on the surface appears to be an excellent season. Many of those Ws, however, were "squeekers" that could have gone either way. This has to be the most inconsistent 12-5 record I have ever seen. From week to week the question was: "which Als team shows up today?"

The unbelievable breakdowns on D secondary are by now legendary. Breakdowns may occur early in the season, but by this point, one would think that many of those problems would have been addressed. And let us not take anything away from Owens or Boyd; both had excellent games for the Argos. BUT, have the Als' STs forgotten how to run proper lanes on returns? What about the atrocious tackling? A team can't simply give the opposing O that many 1st downs to keep drives alive. Inevitably, that will come back to haunt you. There wasn't consistent pressure on Lemon; when there was, he threw INTs - clear enough, men of the D? No QB, including AC, is going to be effective when under pressure.

To AC's credit, he hung tough last night and pulled one out of the fire. That should help the team going forward. I would also add that both the Ticats and Argos have improved quite a bit this season and could be viewed as legitimate contenders, depending on what Als' team takes the field on Nov 21st. As final standings have now been determined, it is likely that the backups are probably going to see game action for both teams next week. At this point, the starters need some reps to keep sharp, but the team also wants them healthy. That's almost too bad; I would have liked to see a blowout W to give both the Ticats and Argos something to think about for the East Final. I quite agree with other posters that something has to be done about our secondary which has looked porous in many games this season. Is this a coaching thing, or do we just not have the right personnel back there? Nonetheless, and thanks to Lemon, two key INTs were responsible for the W last night.

I'd say it's a mix. We do need some help in the secondary. But I also believe the DBs need better coaching and a coordinator who puts them in a better position to win. I don't think that man is Tim Burke.

We desperately need a dedicated special teams coach.

We need a reliable field goal kicker.

We need to dedicate more to the running game instead of under-using the talent we have in Cobourne and Carter.

Agreed. Look at the stats last night. Cobourne had more yards and a better average than the overhyped Cory Boyd, who can't go two plays without getting injured. Avon was ripping off big gains on the ground, hitting the holes with aggression, and functioning as a great checkdown receiving option (something Whitaker was consistently unable to do against Hamilton).

I'm fed up with Duval. Get rid of him in the offseason and bring in someone who doesn't make a fetish out of choking in clutch situations. It's just ridiculous the way he can't make a kick when we really need it.

Assuming that AC returns for 2011, I'd say we start platooning him with McPherson for the season, so that the latter can be ready to take over the helm in 2012. Then, if there's an expansion draft for Ottawa between 2011 and 2012, we leave AC unprotected and protect McPherson. .. I doubt Ottawa would take AC because they'd suspect, probably accurately, that AC would choose to retire rather than go play one or two seasons max for an expansion team.
+1
We need a new middle linebacker. Maybe not really new, just sit Emry down and move Guzman inside. Would require a ratio move but I'm sure we can handle that.
Agreed. I think we have the talent in-house to replace Emry. Guzman is the same body type and he's actually quicker on his feet. I'd shift him inside, make Emry a backup, and go from there. I am sick of seeing the other team's running back, on second and 10, picking up 15-20 yards on a check-release pattern with our MLB, who's supposed to be responsible for the RB, nowhere in sight or making godawful flying tackles and taking himself out of the play.