Al's are old and getting older......

Hey I'm a Al's fan - but I do not like the idea that we do not need to upgrade. PLEASE WE ARE AN OLD EXPERIENCED TEAM.
The East will be a lot toughter next year / Hamilton will be exciting, Winnipeg has the atheletes, and Toronto has the money to spend. The Eastern teams will be younger for sure. I'm sorry but AC and Ben have to be replaced, let's bullet now rather that wait. Give Adrian MacPherson a chance, give Santos a look ...... We cannot keep looking at the past, besides we can't win the big games.....WE ARE THE BILLS OF THE CFL. :cowboy:

I agree. But not McPherson. I want Montreal to somehow get that Conell guy.

SUUUUUUURE
Lets get rid of the QB who threw the most yards and TDs and the Receiver who had the most receptions!

Good Plan! :roll:

Seems to me Hamilton WInnipeg and Toronto were supposed to be so much better.......this year!

I have no problem with AC returning but he really needs to pass the torch next year. I don't think Brady is the answer but I would like to see AC groom MacPherson the way Ham groomed him back in '99.

CONELL!!!!! or whatever his name is.

What he probably should've said is the Als need to find replacements for these guys... unless you already have the young stars.

We have Brady, Santos, Banks, and Macpherson at QB. We have Desriveaux and (for the moment) Stala to fill Cahoon's shoes. We'll be fine.

Conell could be the Tom Brady of the CFL. We need one of those pretty boy QB's. He could be the face of the CFL, get married to some hot model and win the Al's 3 grey cups.

Give me a break !

AC is old and slow.
Ben is small and slow....I gues you want to relive the nightmare next year. Aere we entering into the same relm as Danny MacManus trying to what the body says you cant.

Ben is small & slow...wow...8 seasons over 1000 yards in the CFL !!!!

How many do you have ?

Yet AC lead the league in yards and TD and QB rating!
Yet Cahoon led the league in Receptions! and leads the Als in all time yards, recpeptions and TD!

Begone troll!
Back under the bridge for you!

Don't think of it as getting old, think of it as "MATURING"! :wink:

Yes, get rid of this year's MOP and a receiver with 8 consecutive 1000-yard seasons. :lol: :lol:

People can look to lay the blame if they want but for me Calgary was the better team. They beat the Als 3 consecutive times and blew through a very good Lions team 4 Consecutive times ! They beat the other 7 teams this season.

I hope Chiu comes back or the Als aquire Dominic Picard. Als have Woodruff who might come to Montreal but he will get a shot in the NFL after this season.

Ben Cahoon is the best posession receiver in the league and a NI on top of that. He takes exceptional care of himself so I hope we are fortunate enough to see him play a couple more seasons.

Anthony Calvillo had a great season and I don't understand what happened in the Grey Cup. If I didn't know better I would think he threw the game, he's been intercepted in the past but never on bonehead throws like that. I don't think he's done that since his days in Hamilton. I hope he comes back and gives back to young QB's what Tracy Ham gave him in Montreal. If he wants to come back to get every down I think that would be a mistake.

Etienne Boulay was really like a fish out of water in the Als defense this year. I have a feeling we will lose him to Calgary.

Sanchez's best days are behind him but he can still play.

Overall the Als are in a very tough position with 7 NI starters possibly hanging it up or moving on. They don't have the horses to replace any of these guys with the possible exception of Alexander or Woldu to replace Sanchez, Proux when he's healthy to replace Boulay and Woodruff to take over from Lambert or Chiu.

It will be interesting to see if the Als go with a new look or bring all their guys back. Maybe it will be a mix of both. This would give Popp two years to retool the team.

Yeah, it would be absolutely insane to get rid of a future Hall of Famer like Cahoon. Fortunately, Jim Popp is not that dumb.

Anthony Calvillo had a great season and I don't understand what happened in the Grey Cup. If I didn't know better I would think he threw the game, he's been intercepted in the past but never on bonehead throws like that. I don't think he's done that since his days in Hamilton. I hope he comes back and gives back to young QB's what Tracy Ham gave him in Montreal. If he wants to come back to get every down I think that would be a mistake.
With the season he had, though, how can you not want him back in a full-time capacity? I understand that he underperformed in the Grey Cup, but he wasn't alone on that count, and I don't think Trestman and Milanovich did him any favors with their playcalling in the second half.
Etienne Boulay was really like a fish out of water in the Als defense this year. I have a feeling we will lose him to Calgary.
Boulay played like crap like this year, that's why Proulx replaced him later. Classic case of a player returning from an NFL tryout and his head not being in the game. Hopefully we can re-sign Boulay. He's a very skilled athlete and should be strong at free safety in the coming season.

As far as the secondary goes, Drew and Hendrix should be healthy again next season, which will create a logjam at DB.

Sanchez (if re-signed) / Woldu
Drew / Hendrix
Proulx
Cox / Carter
Estelle

If I had my way, I'd cut Cox and give his spot to Carter.

I'm with you there discipline; Drew is solid at one HB spot, let Hendrix and Carter fight it out in camp for the other HB spot, and see if Cox can net us anything worthwhile in a trade.

As for Boulay, let him fight it out with Proulx for safety in training camp, and may the best man win. But do not, please, ever, even think of trying Boulay on the corner again, I do not care to see that ever again!

Als will have to bite the bullet at some point and groom a QB to replace Calvillo, so at 37 I think you need to start giving game time to his heir whomever that happens to be. You start with quarter and halves and then the following season you give them full games and in their third season they are ready to take over. Calvillo played great but if we had two QB's the coach trusted we might have had a "relief pitcher" after the third quarter of this year's GC. I know hindsight is 20/20...

Cahoon its more a personal decision with 4 young children it gets difficult to move them around.

Boulay I think looked bad in this zone defense. Last year in Chris Jones defense, he just had to use his athleticism and fly to the ball.

If you read Larry Smith's interview with Hall of famer Herb Cringe. You can tell they feel they need to make some changes in the defensive backfield and at QB.

Good point, but I'm still puzzled as to why Trestman didn't go to Brady in the fourth quarter. What did we have to lose?

Boulay I think looked bad in this zone defense. Last year in Chris Jones defense, he just had to use his athleticism and fly to the ball.
Just about any DB will look bad in our zone defense.
If you read Larry Smith's interview with Hall of famer Herb *Cringe*. You can tell they feel they need to make some changes in the defensive backfield and at QB.
At QB, really? I'll have to reread that, I misssed it. In the backfield, cut Cox please, he's horrible and we have Carter and Hendrix to step into his shoes. Other than that, not much we can do except hope that Tim Burke gets fired.

It is absolutely time to move on with another QB.
I respect everything Calvillo has done for the Alouettes and he has had himself a hall of fame career, but in my opinion he was never a QB meant for winning in this league.
Despite his problems winning the big game, he has had so much success in the league because he has always had an outstanding O-line in front to protect him, but those guys are all getting older and may be retiring.
Once that happens, Calvillo will be finished anyway.

To me though, a CFL QB has to has to has to have the mobility to scramble for the 20 yard gains when everyone is covered, or when the O-line blows their assignment.
Those are the guys who win championships in this league for the last 30 years.
That is the guy the alouettes need.

A return of Barron Miles wouldn't hurt either.