Alouettes trade for RB Walter Fletcher

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes have acquired American running back Walter Fletcher from the Edmonton Elks in exchange for a sixth-round pick in the 2023 CFL Draft.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/14/alouettes-trade-for-rb-walter-fletcher/
1 Like

Adding depth? Filling a huge hole would be a more honest statement. Would this trade of happened without Stanback's injury? (rhetorical question, I know the answer).

1 Like

People do crazy things when they panic.

No, it's adding depth. Antwi is starting against the Argos, and they already signed another American RB before they traded for Fletcher.

3 Likes

Walter Fletcher is a great pickup for Montreal, he is a dynamic back with great speed and hands. Can't wait to see him perform.

1 Like

Not going to say you're wrong, but this has "we just lost Stanback !!!" written all over it.

Of course it does! :slight_smile: Definitely not arguing that. But I don't think Maciocia would argue that either. Everyone knows Stanback is gone for probably the whole reason. So the Als are doing what any team would in this position: trying to shore up their RB depth.

3 Likes

Well I hope you're wrong on that point anyway. I hope to see him for the last few games of the season🤞.

1 Like

I hope I'm wrong too, believe me.

1 Like

Fletcher put up incredible numbers in college and he did well in relief in Edmonton.
The next great running back is usually just some backup who only got a chance because of an injury to a starter.
Lets not forget that Andrew Harris started on the Practice Roster in B.C. and Jon Cornish started as a kick returner and special teamer until Joffrey Reynolds got hurt.

2 Likes

Before giving up a Draft pick, I'd like to see what I have in the stable. The Als kept Taku Lee (for a reason, while letting others go), give him a shot at the show, as your back up. If it doesn't pan out, then begin to give up your draft picks, if you think you have to. Let's not forget they signed another American RB.

I don't know Fletcher will help much. Never impressed me in his time here in Edmonton. Never racked up yards or return yards in Edmonton.

1 Like