Alouettes trade for QB Trevor Harris

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes announced on Sunday that the team has acquired veteran quarterback Trevor Harris from the Edmonton Elks in exchange for American defensive end Antonio Simmons.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/10/17/alouettes-trade-qb-trevor-harris/

Wow, didn't see this coming right now. The most shocking thing I've heard today(mind you it's early here).

Actually I heard many mention that Harris would likely land in Montreal. After this last week there was no way he could remain in Edm, at least with the same coach. I am just surprised they got so little for him. No disrespect to Simmons but his value is not equal to a starting QB. Smart move by MTL as Harris is certainly better than Adams. But good to have two QB’s as Harris oft injured. Not good for former second stringer Shlitz, however. Maybe Walters can get him for a bag of footballs as insurance in case Zac goes down. The Bombers have 4 meaningless games and two bye weeks to get him used to their system.

I think you are confused! The Article is about Edmonton Elks & Montreal Alouettes trades. Yes Shlitz is Montreal's 2nd stringer QB but then you start talking about Walters , Zac & the Bombers. They have nothing to do with the trade.

2 Likes

[ Yes Shlitz is Montreal's 2nd stringer QB but then you start talking about Walters , Zac & the Bombers. They have nothing to do with the trade.

[/quote]
Actually , wondering & speculating what happens to Shiltz is a pretty valid extension of this trade. Teams can't dress 3 QBs, so what do they do with him?

3 Likes

The Truth is, Trevor Harris , in my opinion , is over rated. He had a good season in Ottawa but since he moved to Edmonton, he has done nothing to help the Edmonton squad (Esks team or Elks Team which ever you want ) win all that much. 2nd last (western division) in 2019 & last place this season. Edmonton has a lot of talented Receivers too. Maybe Coaching problem but he hasn't done Edmonton proud. Maybe he will do better in Montreal.

3 Likes

Adams is likely out all year so Shiltz stays as insurance. Bombers in recent years have never been able to develop their own, unless you count Streveler who, as a QB, is a good imitation of a RB. Willy, Nichols, Collaros - all brought to the CFL by other teams. Their backups the past few years like Brian Bennett, Dominique Davis & now McGuire never pan out. The fact that Bomber fans muse about other people's QB's & kickers is proof positive even the diehards know they're pretty mediocre. I would love to be in the room in MTL when Sewell & Harris get together. As for the return for the Elks, not trying to get Arbuckle who's also being shopped means they like what they got. Not sure that turns out well. He was done in Edm, so any return is probably a plus.

1 Like

True that they can't dress 3 QBs but right now Montreal's QB adams is on 6 game injury list. And nothing preventing the team from having Shiltz as a waiting QB. Harris isn't likely to standout for a few weeks (if ever). So Shiltz would be starting at least next game. Then shift to short yardage QB !

2 Likes

Yes they can

Only if the 3rd QB takes the place of another position (like receiver or RB)

1 Like

and?

Ha! An entertaining thought indeed. I'm sure they'll be thoroughly professional about it. Still like to see it tho'.

I'm a bit surprised that Ottawa didn't bring Harris back into their fold, especially given their multitude of troubles in the QB position

2 Likes

No 'ands'. You're right, but teams aren't dressing 3 QBs because of it. Still leaves Shiltz on the outside looking in.

2 Likes

The point is they can!

I think PorkyPine's point is that teams aren't doing this because it would mean not dressing a player at another position who could see more consistent use. That third QB won't be of any use unless injury strikes. But a player at another position can be a special teams contributor, etc.

2 Likes

Who says that they're not still trying to get Arbuckle?

What makes you think that the Argos are trying to get rid of ARbuckle? He is the starter, and really has not had enough time to shine as a QB given his injury. Mcleod is damn good too, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

If I were Toronto I would NOT be actively shopping Arbuckle. I am on record stating this ever since the rumors started flying, but the rumors have been flying. Whether there is truth to them or it's just some hack writer (we certainly have enough of those) trying to sound smart is the big question.

2 Likes

Like others, I'm surprised the Elks got so little in return, in a way. It is becoming more clear to me though that the Elks were overpaying him, to the detriment of the rest of the team.
That is a sad mistake by a GM that should know better.