Alouettes Potential 2023 Free Agents

While we, including me, have been critical of the Alouettes not re-signing more of their potential free agents, let's look at other teams, including Hamilton, Saskatchewan and Toronto. The Alouettes have done better; furthermore, until the contracts of Trevor Harris and Eugene Lewis- these two have such an impact on the cap- are settled it is difficult to commit monies to other potential free agents. For Harris and Lewis we are talking between $650,000 and $675,000. Possibly the same in Hamilton; the signing of Bo Levi-Mitchell will most probably "accelerate" the re-signings of some of their potential free agents.

So easy to constantly blame the ownership. I'm 100% positive that Trevor Harris will be re-signed and I say it's 50/50 with Eugene Lewis.

While there are still 21 potential free agents, the most important and crucial ones are number 1 Harris and number 2 Lewis. Adarius Pickett is also an important player; few more could be re-signed, but many amongst these 21 remaining won't be re-signed.

Richard

1 Like

Je viens d’écouter Mathieu Proulx à RDS. Il a parlé de Lewis et de la situation des Alouettes.

Je comprends pas mal plus la situation de Lewis. Il veut rester, mais les Alouettes, c’est tout croche à cause de la succession.

On ne peut pas dire que la CFL semble pressé de régler le tout.

C’est déplorable.

3 Likes

From Philippe Asselin:

«"Geno" n’a jamais été joueur autonome et il est bien possible que ce soit quelque chose qu’il ait envie d’expérimenter au moins une fois dans sa carrière. Ça se peut que nous allions le vivre prochainement avec lui», a déclaré le DG (Danny Maciocia).

Maciocia a ensuite voulu se montrer un peu plus rassurant.

«Je pense toutefois qu’il a la volonté de s’entendre avec nous et d’être de retour à Montréal. De notre côté, nous voulons qu’il revienne. C’est dorénavant une question de s’entendre sur des modalités.»

Aussi interrogé sur le cas du quart-arrière Trevor Harris, qui pourrait aussi devenir joueur autonome, Maciocia a dit que la situation est semblable à celle de Lewis. Le dirigeant a précisé lui avoir parlé mardi et que les canaux de communication étaient excellents.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2023/01/26/eugene-lewis--danny-maciocia-demeure-positif-1

1 Like

In order to re-sign with the Alouettes, the offer to Eugene Lewis will have to range between $240,000 and $250,000.

Given the 2023 approved max. cap of $5,510,000, this is an excessive amount for a WR, no matter how good he is.

As I wrote before, if this is what he will get paid, this will have an impact on other potential free agents; for instance, N WR Julien-Grant could end up in Hamilton and Jake Wieneke and Walter Fletcher in Ottawa.

Yes, the Alouettes may have the top paid WR in 2023, but I doubt that the team will have a better record; you may score 30 points a game but if 31 points are scored against the team it's called a loss.

Richard

2 Likes

I think we are missing the point with Geno. I believe all things being equal he would sign at a reasonable amount.

But he considers the current Als situation a "bleep show", making it difficult for him to commit to the team. This is what he said in the Dave Naylor interview this week:

“It’s all just a waiting game to see what will happen,” said Lewis. “With the ownership, with the president. It’s unfortunate and I hate that it’s happening because it’s hard to recruit other guys. If I can’t give them answers, they are skeptical.”

“For people from the outside looking in, it does look crazy.”

1 Like

Sounded like an off season job was high on the list

En tout cas Gary Stern est pas mal tranquille sur Twitter

C est bon!

Il cherche un president. :rofl:

3 Likes

And if that receiver gets injured like Duke Williams did last year, the team’s season is ruined because you have weakened your team at other positions to afford your jewel. so even if you get some cap money back, it will only help you the following season. Between Maas coming in. Harris and four starting receivers + Fletcher potentially gone. This team could be pretty much starting from scratch on offense. Which in my opinion would make it very tough for them to make the post season.

1 Like

Both top paid receivers in 2022, did miss games. Duke Williams was out 10 games with Saskatchewan and Kenny Lawler 6 games with Edmonton.

The problems with most top paid players are that they receive "huge" signing or reporting bonuses and when they are transferred to 6 game injury list, there are no major positive impacts to the teams, since a high portion of their salary has already been paid.

With regards to Eugene Lewis, I expect that the Alouettes/Danny will re-sign him at roughly $250,000, which could include a $100,000 to $150,000 signing bonus.

Richard

1 Like
2 Likes

He himself realizes that his ability to throw the ball downfield needs work. From a self-awereness that is a great sign but I don’t know how much improvement a 36 year old QB with a lot of mileage can improve this in any meaningful way. Last season Trevor saw the field well, he just could not get the ball there.

2 Likes

Yeah, I admire Harris for trying to improve his game, but the reality is he's in his late '30s and his arm strength is probably what it is. If he can improve his long ball, more power to him, though.

You still expect him to re-sign Lewis even after what Lewis posted on social media? I thought he was for sure gone now.

A week from today and for a week, teams will be allowed to speak with potential free agents and, in some instances, some will definitely make/ sign offers with potential free agents; while players can, once free agency period begins, opt out of the agreement, teams cannot rescind their offers/contracts.

Presently, there are still 172 potential free agents, including top players amongst QBs, receivers, linebackers and defensive linemen. During this current week, teams will do the outmost to re-sign their top potential free agents; before a team commits.signs an agreement to a future free agent has to know how much they can afford, should they re-sign their top potential free agents.

The Alouettes presently have 21 potential free agents; the 2 top ones are: Trevor Harris and Eugene Lewis.

-Trevor Harris. I expect him to be re-sign before next Sunday, at a contract in the vicinity of $425,000, including performance allowances/bonuses.

-Eugene Lewis. I expect him to test free agency. I doubt that the Alouettes will commit more than $250,000 to him, including performance allowances/bonuses. I don't expect any team, except Edmonton, to have the cap availability to sign Lewis at beyond $250,000, unless they proceed with major salary reductions to some players and even release some. Edmonton will have the cap availability, unless they re-sign Kenny Lawler; furthermore, in 2023 their number 1 QB will earn $285,000; his salary for 2023 is more, but he received a signing bonus of $106,500 in December 2022, for 2023.

The other 2 important potential free agents, in alphabetical order, are:
-Kaion Julien -Grant. WR N
-Adarius Pickett. LB A

Finally, the re-signing of these players, in alphabetical order, are also important:
-Kerfalla Exumé . DB N

• Walter Fletcher. RB A
    -Mike Jones. DB A
    -Hergy Mayala. WR N
    -Chandler Worthy. KR/WR A

Busy week ahead for all CFL teams.

Richard

2 Likes

So who are the potential target for you guys for next week ?

My target would be the owners, but I wouldn’t know how to get to them.

It is really difficult to have any great expectations for free agency given the current situation.

The key question is: Will we be a better team on Feb. 17 than we were in 2022?

1 Like

I think it is very possible the Alouettes are in on McLeod Bethel Thompson with the news Trevor Harris will be going to free agency.

Could be posturing as well by both sides.

More positive free agency news:

As for me, I'll be back if/when the ownership situation is settled. One has to be a masochist to follow the team under the current situation.