Alouettes need new ownership

Did you know that all city buses are free on game day if you have a game ticket?(2 hours before and after the game) That is on top of the free shuttles from the free parking to TD place

Yeah, they make it amazingly easy to take a game. I was blown away and my tickets where 35 bucks. After the game went to dinner and a Mexican restaurant it was all decked out in RB gear (I’m sure the club supplied it for free), the mascot dropped by, got some cool pictures

Don’t know that any CFL team owns anything but their name, lease, contracts, equipment and retail inventory.

OSEG owns the Rouge et Noir and the Lansdowne Park development but I believe the two are separate enterprises (i.e., the football team does not own the development; they just have the same owners). I expect the same is likely true of any other team in a same similar situation.

HfxTC: With the record that the Alouettes have given their fans over more than a decade, I believe you are off base for now calling for a change in ownership at the point where the is team having problems. The owner has supported this team with his money over the years even kicking in a portion of the cost of the expansion. Mr Wetenhall employed a great GM in Jim Popp and, both have jointly worked to bring success to the Montreal Alouettes. Yes there has been difficulties with the team the past coup of years but, this year is an improvement over last year and, I see no reason to expect that the team will not be improved next year.
Over the long hall the Alouette Football Club has had its share of problems. Its interesting that the present team began to struggle just as Calvillo retired. I recall such a struggle beginning in the sixties when Sam Etcheverry left for the NFL. The team went into a losing streak that lasted for over 10 years. After a successful period with Wade as QB and Marv Levy at the controls, the team again floundered to the point of bankruptcy and folded.
The regeneration of the Alouette Football Club has been because of the monetary support of the owner and, the good works of Jim Popp. These two worked and financed successfully to bring the team to three years of winning Grey Cups and, entertaining football. Time to change ownership? Talk about kicking a guy when he's down !!
I've noticed that the team in the second half has had good attendance-it looked like a full house in the Hamilton game. As the next season approaches, with improvement in 2015, I would expect the fan base will remain with the team. All sports teams experience periods of malaise- even the mighty Habs have had these issues. It would appear to me that the owner and Jim Popp are now functioning in concert and, the team just might be in another phase of regeneration.

The CFL is changing, and the single owner model like Whetenhal, Braley, and the caretaker are going to struggle unless they connect or partner with another entity that could create revenue.
Not nearly what is going on in Toronto. NBA and MLB have much to do with that.
As for the Als attendance they finally reno'd and expanded Percival and they happened to slip for the first time. Still there model was built on 20K fans at a higher end ticket price. Still even when struggling still got that much but had some more premium tickets going for even more $$$.
Now that they have turn it around there was about 23K for the last two games which with estimated capacity at about 24K.
As far as i can tell a pretty nice partner in McGill. The Als were able to reno and expand and inturn the cost for rent reasonible, with Mcgill name at the 55 for advertising as part of the deal, and making a move to host the Vanier cup at what is now the biggest capacity and top amenities for fans after Reno's.
McGill looking to better their football program will be hosting the East West Bowl in 2015. None of this happens without the Als partner.
CFL clubs do not really cost much to run compared to the top NHL. Whether the Molson and the Habs would be interested in owning or partnering with the Als who knows. Some may say why would they. The question would be why wouldn't they. The Flames grabbed the Stamps and the Canucks have been in the BC lions coversation.
The Molson roof on Olympic could bring a Grey Cup, outdoor classic, and big time soccer to the Big O and $$$ for Molson and the city of Montreal.
The Province of BC and the city of Vancouver investment into 400 million in reno's to BC place is paying off huge for the city, province, and the Lions with two GCs in 4 years with revenue shooting over 10million and growing for Lions owner and over 100 million and growing for $$$ into the cities economy. Vancouver hosting Winter Olympics and now WWC final as well.

Everything that has a beginning has an end. A football team is a very “organic” business. In addition to solid financing it needs Energy, it needs vision and it needs a change of soil periodically. To bring in new ideas, sponsors and allies.

I’m grateful for the great care Mr. Wetenhall has taken in rebuilding a CFL team in Montreal but his actions the last few years are bad for the franchise. It is no accident that when I say he should not become an Al Davis Clone. Al Davis was very important in the success of the Raiders but eventually he started dragging the franchise down.

You got to know when it is time to let things go… What you call kicking a man when he’s down. I call it a friendly appeal to reason and doing the right thing.

Changer de propriétaire pour changer de propriétaire n’est pas une bonne idée.

Pour ma part, je crois que M. Wetenhall demeure un bon propriétaire, et que les gestes qu’on lui reproche ont peut-être été davantage un malheureux concours de circonstances que de vraies mauvaises décisions.

Je crois qu’avec le renouvellement de son contrat, Popp va avoir un peu plus d’ascendant dans les décisions futures de l’équipe.

Le retour en force de l’équipe ne se fera pas sans douleur. On ne remplace pas une légende du jour au lendemain, comme l’a si bien souligné notre ami Niagara. Il y a une progression certaine qui s’est accomplie cette année chez les Alouettes. La défensive s’est révélée encore plus aguerrie que celle de l’an dernier, ce qui est encourageant. Il reste maintenant à remplumer l’attaque avec d’autres receveurs et espérer avoir trouvé le bon gars avec Crompton. Il n’est pas encore un quart qui peut mener l’équipe à des succès éclatants à l’attaque. Il a encore beaucoup de choses à améliorer. Mais si les Alouettes choisissent de former un nouveau quart, s’ils attendent un gars qui sera instantanément un nouveau Calvillo, ce serait manquer de réalisme. Il y a 2 options: former un quart ou aller chercher un quart établi. Je vois difficilement qui les Alouettes pourraient aller chercher dans les 2 prochaines saisons, aussi autant investir à préparer un quart, quitte à lui amener de la compétition.

Le retour en force des Alouette ne dépend pas tellement des Wetenhall comme d’avoir trouvé ce joueur clé.

How can you believe that when HE announced that Higgins would return next year before the completion of his first season?

And you think that the melting attendance, the non existent merchandising, the musical chair at President, the lack of practice facility, the reduced presence in the media (last year they fell behind Saputo Soccer and this year behind a MLB team that dosen’t even exist) are all unfortunate coincidences? Ok :wink:

Je ne crois pas qu’un changement de propriétaire a finalement fait tant de bien aux Argonauts. Ils se retrouvent gros Jean comme devant à l’heure qu’il est. Un changement de propriétaire n’amène pas en soi des bons changements.

Si vous voyez quelqu’un prêt à investir beaucoup d’argent dans les Alouettes à l’heure qu’il est, vous êtes meilleur devin que moi. Pour ma part, je ne vois personne à Montréal prêt à investir des millions pour acheter les Alouettes, leur payer un terrain de pratique, acheter les média de faire passer les Alouettes avant les frères Molson, Bell, Saputo et la NFL.

Si ma mémoire est bonne, le bail des Alouettes au Stade Olympique prend fin après la prochaine saison, ça devrait dégager des options sur le plan budgétaire. Mais je ne crois pas que toutes ces calamités ne soient que le fait du nom du propriétaire.

You wrote "Quand on se compare on se console" Well when I compare Wettenhall's ownership to Saputo... Saputo grabbed Garber and rolled in to the mayor's office and greased him real good. Next thing you know he's taking over the Als practice field and he's causing millions of dollars of damage to city property. Did Montrealers get reparation for the damage ? :wink:
Saputo is connected, he is local, his company spends advertising which in turns gives him clout with the media he spends money with, his team has its own stadium HE paid for, they aren't riding a school bus to a JV field the team is using for free.

Saputo hasn't won much and is a meddler but he built an infrastructure for his soccer team. He's managed to make a 3rd tier soccer team relevant on the Montreal sports scene during the summer months...

Ma question n’était pas celle-là. Ma question était qui?

C’est facile de dire que ça prend un nouveau propriétaire. Mais pour le remplacer par qui? Un autre Skalbania? Un autre Loria?

Je vais vous dire quelque chose. Ça prend un nouveau coordonnateur à l’attaque. C’est facile. C’est moins évident quand vient le temps de dire qui.

En attendant que l’équipe soit à vendre et qu’un propriétaire crédible se manifeste, je préfère M. Wetenhall qui a encore son équipe à coeur que David Braley qui crie sur tous les toits qu’il veut vendre les Argonauts et qui n’est pas foutu de se rendre compte que les Argonauts n’iront jamais plus loin avec Barker comme DG.

Je demeure reconnaissant envers M. Wetenhall qui paye encore Dan Hawkins et peut-être d’autres mais qui ne la laisse pas entre les mains de 2 de piques comme Barker ou Tillman. M. Wetenhall n’est peut-être pas parfait, mais je m’accommode volontiers de ses faiblesses car ses qualités les surpassent quand même.

Les Molson et Saputo rient des supporteurs de leurs équipes. Ils vont faire jouer des perdants année après année et vous ne verrez jamais l’ombre d’un championnat couronné par eux à Montréal avant les bateaux aient cessé d’acoster à Montréal. Ils vont le faire parce que les gens vont continuer de payer au Centre B-Bell (Molson) ou parce que ça leur donne accès à une ligue supérieure et c’est là leur joujou (Saputo).

S’il faut souhaiter que le nouveau propriétaire des Alouettes utilise le méthodes d’affaires de Saputo, je décroche. Je n’ai aucune estime pour ceux qui se comportent comme des masmanieri et si cette aura transcende chez les Alouettes, je quitte le bercail sans davantage y réfléchir. Si on s’émeut parce que Chris Rainey a peut-être eu un comportement inapproprié envers son ex-conjointe, je me demande quelle serait la réaction si les gens ici savaient comme il procède. Je crois que nos écrans exploseraient. Du moins, je le souhaiterais.

I don't know who but I know the longer he hangs on the tougher it will be finding someone.

I did not know the team was for sale. Best wishes to Mr Wetenhall for his role in bringing the team back to Montreal and, for enabling it to be so successful.

Nothing points to the team being for sale. Just me starting a thread that it would be best for the team to have a a new ownership that can bring this team closer to its base and that is willing to invest what it will need to keep up with its rivals both in the CFL and in the Montreal sports/entertainment market.

i have to agree it is a bit too early to start throwing mud at Whetenall. The Als were down for the first time since arriving in Montreal and into Percival. A year and a half to find some better stability on the DC and now with the Offensive staff has lead to some attendance gains the last few weeks. Where they can for the first time take advantage of the expanded Capacity an Reno's.
The relationship with the University and Stadium upgrades has lead to a Vanier cup as well as the return to of the east west game.
Aside from the partership with McGill the Als have also partnered with Bishop's and their now modernized football facilities for training camp.
A practice facility is needed for sure. Whether they can come to terms with McGill to get a PR facility to be shared and if their is room on the McGill campus for such a facility.
Or possibily enter into another partnership with the Caribans who clearly have made the strides as a top CIS program.
They Really cannot do much at all over the Olympic Stade situation.

I mean who knows who may become interested in taking a CFL club. It is not a costly league like the NHL.
Quebec City, New NHL Arena, Quebecor fully backing the arena and push for the return of Nords, As well as having RDS' only Competitor. The best part is they are completely seperate from Laval.
TVA looks like they are really covering the Als, unlike Rogers SN and the Argos and Ti Cats.
RDS has the Habs regional broadcasts and Montreal Als have become solid programing for RDS.
Once an NHL team is in place a Hockey club, NHL, OHL etc are finding that adding a CFL club gives the brand year round.
Flames, REDBLACKS, and possibily the Canucks may take controlling Lions stock.
The Habs have a multi practice facility, The Impact have also opened a new one.

I am forever the optomist but with the explosion of gridiron football in Quebec, which has just going through a whole generation since the return of the Als, The rise of Laval, followed by success of both Sherbrooke and the Caribans being almost 2 decades now. The interest is at an all time high as the youth players growing up are now seeing success at the pro level from Laval, Montreal, and Sherby in the CFL as well as entering players into the NFL now. It is only going to get better and better.
Not only top lineman and some athletic QBs and RB/FBs becoming top teams players.

It is kind of odd that College football and the popularity of the NFL in Quebec has outgrown the CFL don't you think ?

I dont believe that to be the case

last year the Montreal Saputo’s( Sorry BMO’s) attendance was 20603 to the Als’ 22755
This year the Als’ attendance dropped 10.26% to 20422 while the BMO’s dropped by 15.45% to 17421

I didn't mean attendance wise. I meant in regards to media coverage. I don't know how they measure that but I remember reading an article about it last year.

media coverage is dropping for sure
CTV didnt even have their Tuesday Night Allouette report last night

Non. À aller jusqu’au début des années '70, les Alouettes étaient encore perçues comme le club des anglophones, un sport d’anglophones. Les francophones s’identifiaient au club de hockey qui les acceptaient plus volontiers avec le succès qu’on leur connaît.

L’engouement des francophones du Québec pour le football a commencé dans les années '70 avec la Coupe Grey inespérée gagnée par la troupe de Sam Etcheverry, puis les grandes équipes sous Marv Levy et dans une moindre mesure Joe Scanella. Mais lorsque Montréal a eu un stade de 68 000 places, les journaleux de football des média francophones de Montréal se sont mis à rêver qu’ils pourraient faire la tournée de l’Amérique du Nord s’il y avait une équipe de la NFL à Montréal. Et ils ont commencé leur travail de propagande en dénigrant le football de la LCF au profit de la NFL. Avec le temps, il y a eu un nombre croissant de gens qui ont cru à cette illusion, les Alouettes se sont mis à perdre, il y a eu Skalbania et vous connaissez la suite.

Pour ce qui est du football universitaire, c’est une émulation de ce qui se passe aux USA. Du Think Big, 'stie! à l’état brut. C’est cool de s’émoustiller pour le football collégial, ça fait chic sur un campus, mais à la fin, l’admiration de ces amateurs là est davantage envers la ligue au gros cash qu’envers l’équipe professionnelle qui joue dans leur propre cour.